Mitrac Mention On The Latest Br187 Announcement

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FD1003, Nov 16, 2021.

1. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

On the latest "Announcement" post, about the BR187, while the funniest part is DTG being so proud of Skyhook's work that they are trying to distance themselves from it, there is one thing I am struggling to understand:
    • MITRAC Implementation (MITRAC is traction control).
    What does that mean exactly? “The MITRAC system stands for Modular Integrated Traction System and was originally launched to cover control electronics, traction converters and drives,” says Bombardier Transportation head of external communications and public affairs Eric Prud’Homme.
    SOURCE

So if the TSW model does not have MITRAC, what is it using to run on its own power? What kind of systems are simulated, is it just a basic traction vs speed curve like the AI trains? what about other Bombardier trains in the game which have MITRAC IRL?

It would be like saying that the TSW Class 465 is not fitted GBT inverters, or the Class 313 is not fitted with a camshaft control or similar.

Surely they don't mean "traction control" in a car sense, the TSW BR187 already has wheelslip protection if I remember correctly, and if that's the case it's just one of MITRAC's features, it would be like saying:

• Engine, Gearbox and Electronic Control Unit implementation (Engine, Gearbox and Electronic Control Unit means traction control)

I am lost.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  2. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

I can’t comment about German units but with the electrostars (class 377s/387s), MITRAC is referring to the TMS (Train Management System). It’s the digital screen on the left side of the desk which provides all sorts of information to the driver such as faults, SDO status, lighting, etc…

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  3. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I see, that makes a lot more sense, thank you

• Like Like x 1
  4. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

Actually, I've figured it out, the way the train is controlled in TSW is completely wrong, IRL both the throttle and dynamic brakes have 3 steps (hold, step up, step down), kind of like not self lapped brakes, while in TSW the power controller is just a normal controller which works like a normal throttle, so that's good to know.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

This depends on what the operator has specified, the TSW setup is accurate for a DBC 187.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

Seems to be a pretty common misconception this, but MITRAC is the base system, TCMS is the HMI and the screen itself is called an IDU.

• Helpful Helpful x 1