British Rail Class 165 Diesel Hydraulic Multiple Unit

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by elarthur, Nov 13, 2021.

1. elarthur

elarthur Well-Known Member

The British Rail Class 165 Networker is a fleet of suburban diesel multiple-unit passenger trains (DMUs), originally specified by and built for the British Rail Thames and Chiltern Division of Network SouthEast. They were built by BREL York Works between 1990 and 1992. An express version was subsequently built in the form of the Class 166 Networker Turbo Express trains. Both classes are now sometimes referred to as "NetworkerTurbos", a name derived some three years later for the project that resulted in the visually similar Class 365 and Class 465 EMUs.
    This class of unit would make a good, if slightly limited dlc for GWE route and a layer for London Commuter. The already available Class 166 would only require small amounts of work to create this class with the main difference being the differing unit length in some cases along with different passenger window layout owing to these units being non air conditioned in original form. The Class consists of two subclasses with Class 165/0 being the Chiltern units and 165/1 being GWR units, the latter being of most use currently.
    Screenshot_20211113-121343_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Class 165/0 in older Chiltern Railways livery.
    Screenshot_20211113-121325_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Class 165/1 in current GWR livery.

• Like Like x 4
  2. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    Also since the 165 makes up most of the mainline passenger fleet ( at the time)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I doubt it’ll happen. The changes, whilst minor, would likely require a rebuild of the model. DTG has said in the past it can’t just make changes to an existing model. The time and effort involved to make what is effectively already in game with the 166 will be time and effort better spent elsewhere. I doubt I’d pay for the 165 as a stand-alone unit.

• Like Like x 3
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Sadly I have to agree with Mat above. The 165 is just too similar to the 166 compared to, say, requests for a 108 to complement the 101. There are other second gen DMUs that ought to have a higher priority, such as a 156 or 158.

• Like Like x 2
  5. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

It should be feasible to some extent. Look at the Electrostars. They pretty much have the same body but all are modified versions of each other.

6. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

Yeah I've also gotta go with the doubters on this one, It would need a complete rebuild and unless it went on a new route the 165s are known for (Chiltern Mainline for example) it wouldn't be worth selling as a separate DLC when it's basically already on there as the 166.

• Like Like x 1