A Curious Question,ts Vs Tsw!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trainsimplayer2020, Nov 20, 2021.

1. trainsimplayer2020

trainsimplayer2020 Well-Known Member

How many of you play both TS and TSW?

I only play TS as I see no point of playing both TS and TSW.

TS is enough for me :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

I used to use both, started out with TSW on the ps4 but found myself wanting more.

I only use TS these days, the creative freedom it grants is unparalleled and there are so many amazing 3rd party add ons to enhance the experience.

The communities surrounding it are pretty lovely too. You need help? All you have to do is ask and someone, somewhere will answer the call for you.

As I get older, I realise that better graphics do not trump deep gameplay or simulation mechanics. Long live the old dog!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

As dunkrez said above, started with TSW2020 on the PS4 and wanted more but I do play both.
    Got myself a semi-decent gaming PC and got myself TS2021. Since March I've played over 400 hours on TS alone and have an extensive range of routes and locos (both freeware and payware) and have spent a lot of money on said add-ons (I also have all but 5 routes on TSW and 5 locos).

Yes, TS2022 may be an older game and not as pretty but the variety of stuff out there is amazing (to be expected for something that's been around for 10+ years).

TSW is ok for graphics, some sounds (quite a few have been obtained from TS stalwarts Armstrong Powerhouse) and playing on consoles but it's really limited in terms of:
    Content: Routes are US, UK and Germany and usually in similar areas to routes already released.
    The fact that there's no public editor (and never will be) for building your own routes and there are only 2 or 3 3rd party developers making content for it (some of which has been quite shoddy).
    TSW is also built on newer software (unreal engine) so it can run on PC and consoles and it's really hard to develop things using it unless you're a whizz at it and have lots of experience.
    TSW is also only 4 or 5 years old at this point so content is restricted because it takes a lot of time to develop locos and routes for the sim/game and DTG can only licence out the developer tools they use to specific people (as well as parts of the UE editor software).

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  4. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

Almost everyone here will tell you TS is better because it's the TS board.

I think you will potentially get different answers if you post this on the TSW community board :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I had TSW and it was ok then a chap did a patch that swapped the default stock for other trains
    So a run over NTP could be with the Class 45 or 47 or even with a Class 33
    And I enjoyed the times I ran the game
    Then it was upgraded to TSW2 and DTG took away that option
    I have had TSW2 since last Christmas and I have played 4.2 hours

6. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

I suppose TS is the hardcore application, whereas TSW2 is the more sofa and TV orientated experience.

I'll always credit TSW with getting me into TS. I hope it brings many more people into the hobby over time, and I'm confident that it will. It's the gateway drug to the world of PC's and train simulation - also the communities that come with.

Long live both I guess... but I definitely prefer TS. It's maybe my mindset that dictates this.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mr2mark

mr2mark Member

Ive had ts from day 1 and have a pretty big collection that i have built over time, i also do quite a bit of route building and editing which i really enjoy. If that side of things came to tsw2 i might consider .

8. orb

orb Well-Known Member

I play both, but by looking at weekly times I'm playing TSW2 more. TS is usually a single scenario or quick drive run and then quit to desktop, while in TSW2 a few services in timetable one after another and even switching to another route in one play. More detailed answer of what I do where I already shared in the TSW forum on the same topic.

9. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

These were my thoughts in 2020 - I don't think much has changed since then:
    TS 2021 vs TSW

TSW
    Very limited Editor not as comprehensive as TS2021
    Mainly End to End, very few other duties
    No Steam Locos
    Few Community Scenarios. Mods, addons, etc
    No 3rd party DLC suppliers
    No station names in 2D map
    Not easy to tweak
    Limited Forums
    The driver can walk and do duties he/she is not meant to do (coupling)
    Better Weather/Time selection – no real-world time and weather
    Good In-Game Menus
    Nice Graphics
    Cabs quite interactive
    Sound is reasonable, but no 3rd party add-ons
    DirectX 10.0 (really needs 11.0 and/or 12.0)
    64-bit
    CPU Intensive
    Limited controllers work with TSW – no Raildriver yet.
    DTG Limited countries provided
    Poor Instruction Manuals
    Need some dexterity for some switches etc

TS2021
    Quirky Editor
    End to end plus Shunting and other duties, much more variable than TSW
    Steam Locos Galore
    A plethora of DTG DLC, Routes, Locos, Re-skins
    Thousands upon thousands of Community Scenarios. Mods, addons, etc
    Some very realistic loco models are available
    Very good sounds
    In-Game menus improving
    DirectX 9.0c (the slowest of all DirectX's)
    Cabs - some interaction all 2D
    The weather is set but has some awesome addons, no real-world weather like FSX
    Many 3rd party DLC suppliers
    Many interactive forms
    2D map is excellent
    32 and 64-bit
    CPU moderate
    Manic Passengers
    Good In-coach passenger views
    Graphics reasonable but not as good as TSW
    More stuttering than TSW
    Easier than TSW to tweak
    Easy to operate keys, switches, knobs etc.
    Rail Driver Support
    Joystick and other controllers supported by 3rd party apps
    No driver walking
    DTG Covers UK, USA, Canada, Germany, France, Japan, China, etc
    Instruction manuals are very good.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

I drive both. Started on TSW on PS4 and discovered I could play TS Classic on my Mac. Both have their pros and cons (well summed up by Peter Hayes above) - it really depends on my mood as to which I drive, whether I fancy following a short (less than an hour) timetabled service on TSW or a much longer run on TS Classic. Plus, its not as if all the same routes are available on both, so being purist to one or the other needlessly limits you IMHO. I know its terribly unfashionable to say, but I like both!

• Like Like x 1
  11. SJA

SJA Active Member

The only content I've really been impressed by in TSW in Brighton Mainline, and to an extent East Coastway. In the BML there's at least a healthy variety of service types - GX, stopping passenger, a few non-GX London to Brighton, a bit of freight I think, and some tiddlers using the Turbo or the South Eastern 375(?) that you drive if you have 15-20 minutes to kill.

At this point, not only is the content library too strong in TS for me to stop using it, but the content being developed and coming out now has pushed the TS to levels we didn't necessarily think it would get to. I can get just as immersed in the scenery of the MML,SWEX to Reading, Chat Moss or the DP Simulation NE England route as I can in the TSW scenery, but with more stock and more operational possibilities.

Like others on this thread, I wouldn't necessarily even pit the simulators up against one another. I think it's cool that console users, who don't have budget for a PC with decent clout per core, have a simulator to play on. If my PC died I have TSW on my PS4 and would probably spend a decent amount of time on it, relative to the amount of content.

There's nothing wrong with that! One shouldn't feel obligated to take a polarised approach :) Too much of that goes on in society, ruining pretty much every good discussion out there lol.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jeff.engle

jeff.engle Active Member

I use both sims equally. I run about 20 hours in TS then run about 20 hours in TSW. I find the overall immersion in TSW to be much greater (no VR here). Being able to walk into the engine room to switch on LZB etc is so cool. More engines seem to have better physics and more working features in TSW also. I also enjoy exploring the work done by the artists creating the stations and routes more in TSW by walking around.

That said, TS has more routes, LONGER routes, route extensions, more and wider variety of engines, contributed scenarios, and route building - modification capabilities. Really a different mindset to play the two different games.

I enjoy them both equally and for very different reasons. I have almost 600 hours in each game - new to train simming since May/June this year. Although I started with a mostly German focus once I found German safety systems, I have expanded my interests to include British and American (US and Canadian) routes and locos

I find excellent help on the forums for both sims to be invaluable!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
  13. St_Clinton

St_Clinton New Member

I have both, but rarely play TSW2. I prefer TS20xx because it allows me to create my own scenarios for the routes that I have and share them with others. By sharing them with others, it has permitted me to meet other TS20xx users that I most like would have never come across. I also enjoy that the number of routes available for it is so far bigger than TWS2.
    I think that TSW2 is a better Simulator, if you want a kind of full experience of driving a train, with TS20xx a better Game

• Like Like x 1
  14. dkreveller#9240

dkreveller#9240 New Member

I started with tsw 2020, i stand by that being the better option for easier to learn for new users. Visually better naturally and the added ability to move camera freely without right clicking makes it feel much more natural in comparison to ts 20xx. TS 20xx has much more content naturally and i find myself spending more time their for the more varied content it offers.
    Both are decent in their own regards.

• Like Like x 1
  15. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I play both, but TSW2 gives you more game play with the riding as a passenger and walking around on foot to explore as well as better graphics.

16. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

No such game
    Either TSW2 (Train Sim World) or TS20xx (Train Simulator)
    I t is this stupid naming convention for TSW that causes confusion for new players

17. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

TSW2020 does exist and existed before TSW2. TSW2020 was the update from TSW

18. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

upload_2021-11-21_17-22-12.png

you can even still find it on steam.

19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

By Bad - I never realised DTG were trying to confuse the new users

20. I have both TS and TSW but find myself playing TS mostly. TS has a hell of a lot more content, I can edit routes, make scenarios properly I.e access every part of the route, put trains where i want them and not where dovetail thinks I might want them. Also TS scenery is 100 times better, It looks better, its more dense, draw distance is 100 times better than TSW oh and theres different scenery for different routes and not the same old generic crap we get with TSW. Another thing I find with TS is when new routes are released it comes with all the content, not like TSW where you buy a route then dovetail sells you trains that should come with that route a week later. Also I think the pc version of TSW Could look a lot better if it was better optimised for the pc and not 5 year old games consoles! But i guess consoles is where the money is for DTG. Did i forget to mention TS has steam trains!
    Oh and TS has a community of modders That make nice improvements to the experience, one of my favourites is route merging.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2021
  21. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Bought TSW when it came out because I was curious about the level of detail and walking around the cab. But soon I saw the fancy graphics are not what a good game is about. Then saw probably the best and most knowledge based review by a guy called Oleanders Gaming Emporium on YT. I soon got bored with it and focused on TS again. For accurate US railroading I play Run 8 Train Simulator because it's the closest thing to reality you can get, a real sandbox which has no bugs and has Multiplayer also.
    But TS has the biggest content and when it comes to steam engines theres nothing better. I love the BMG Black 5.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Bradmac

Bradmac Member

I have both TS20XX and TSW2. I always gravitate back to TS for the reasons referred to previously such as the huge amount of content available. The best thing you can do for TS is run it at 4K graphics if you have the hardware. It's nearly as good as TSW2 and such a good improvement.

• Like Like x 2
  23. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Having purchased a lot of content I just hope I will be able to play that for a long time. After all the focus for DTG should be optimising the engine, fixing bugs and ensure all content can be run in future releases.

• Like Like x 1
  24. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

No problem in TS2022 - content I purchased with TS2012 still works

25. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

I was talking about the future. Who knows, in ten years time there might be OpenTS :D.

I have spent more money and time on TS than on any other game. Really addicted. And I started getting into train simming with a german freeware called Loksim3D...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2021