Sherman Hill = Another Definitive Feedback Thread, How Would You Answer These?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Nov 18, 2021.

1. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Nice little touch if the windspeed impacts the turbines. I did ask in the stream whether the wind impacts the train. I can imagine (rightly or wrongly) there must be an impact dragging 8000t into a head wind but then I guess the thing we dont have simulated is wind vs train or wind direction. It appears to just be an overlay to look gusty as opposed to any impact

2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I can't say I've noticed an impact on the train's performance if it's windy - it appears to all be cosmetic (ie making wind turbines spin, grass and trees blow and sway - that's why I always have at least a little wind on). I think the fact you can't specify the direction is why it doesn't have a wider impact - even if it was just to blow the rain around.

You can already see it for yourself - there's turbines on SPG somewhere that do it. This game is full of neat little touches like that, it's just a shame that they're dragged down by the bugs.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. dwtrain21

dwtrain21 Member

UP does have the Arrowedge attachment for containers to cut down on wind resistance. I don't know if they still use it, though.

4. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

Removed by DTG Natster

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Removed by DTG Natster

• Like Like x 5
  6. chieflongshin

Well hopefully a container doesn't define a route but it's interesting what that simple "oh this should be ok to put in" prompts.

I do like The aerodynamic container, that would be a pretty cool implementation I think, what sort of impact do you think that has when 8000t is cutting through the air?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  7. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

Removed quoted text - DTG Natster

But back to the topic, i think its a good looking and sounding route, with Track 2 over 100km long. I know its all in the flatlands without dense scenery, but i hope that this is a step to more 100+km routes.
    Also it doesnt look like another US Freight route where i have to crawl along the line at 20-30mph, at least not when going downhill.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Removed by DTG Natster

• Like Like x 2
  9. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Removed by DTG Natster

• Like Like x 1
  10. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Have watch the stream a second time and am impressed by the quality of the scenery.
    The devs are getting good.

Why not have a cameo of a couple of guys with a pickup repairing the snow barriers.
    Even move them between areas. And didn’t we have rail fanners on one of the ts routes?

• Like Like x 2
  11. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

I have cleaned up this thread and removed some inappropriate comments.

I understand that some people dislike the new container as it's not realistic to life, I will make sure the team are aware of this. It will however remain in Sherman Hill.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 13
  12. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Probably because the backlash would be severe. So no one wants to say I would imagine and get canceled?

• Like Like x 1
  13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I simply think it’s imprudent for any game to include political or other controversial content, unless it sets out to be a controversial game. Almost any apparent endorsement of one side or another in anything which is a matter of public debate is going to turn off a certain number of players unnecessarily

• Like Like x 13
  14. chieflongshin

I can deal with the train bow as I understand it to be factual. I have no ill feeling to any specific community. It does not need to be in the game. I’m looking forward to the route but I hope someone can find a way to mod this out. If I wished to learn about it I’d locate media outside the game

• Like Like x 3
  15. OldVern

Maybe with hindsight, this sort of thing should be a free official downloadable mod for those who wish to see the trainbow in game.

16. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Well here in North American, forget 1 mile, most trains now are pushing 2+ miles in length.

• Like Like x 2
  17. chieflongshin

How many units are pulling those Sharon E ?

18. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

It's not uncommon to see trains in the US with over 200 cars now. Power varies but the average is 1-2 units in the front and 1-2 Dpus in the middle, at least on CSX.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

On one of the train cams we can see BNSF come by with 4 up front and 2 - 3 midtrain. On occasion I have also noted 1 or. 2 in back also. CSX runs enough power to get the train over the road. We have an IM here through VA which can be up to 200 car equivalent, one has to remember the 3 or 5 pack articulated cars, with 1 in front and 1 in the middle. Granted we do not have much of a gradient on the east coast.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, I think most of us would not have a problem with any vehicle that represented actual UP rolling stock. If it isn't a real life car, its inclusion is gratuitous and unnecessary. I imagine some individual artist made a persona! decision to include it. Inappropriately, in my view.

• Like Like x 9
  21. chieflongshin

I wonder if we will see trains in the middle of the consist on this. Be interesting if we did and they split off.

22. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

A few years ago a car I was in stopped for a freight train heading into Chicago that had two locomotives pulling a bit over 200 cars. In the flat Midwest, you can get away with that. Out west where you have mountains, the big trains have several more locos.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Crosstie

I think it depends on the tonnage. I'm in the Midwest and yesterday I saw a consist of about 150 mostly covered hoppers and tankers headed by three locos and a DPU in the middle. Looked like a very heavy train. I've seen as many as 4-1-1 on occasion.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I've seen manifests bound for Tehachapi with as much as 3 Mid train DPU's.

• Like Like x 1
  25. josuesleyer

josuesleyer Member

Fortunately for us PC gamers, we can work around the problems using the mod. The lighting inside the cabin is already one that I think will need fixing.

26. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Maybe my train was mostly empty. I don't think I've ever seen a train that big going through the city proper before.

If a train is going from western mountains to eastern mountains via the flatlands in the middle, would it drop the extra locos and then add more again later, or would it just keep going as is given they'll be needed anyway?

27. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

I remember most of the community was happy with the inclusion of the “Trainbow”, I think the fact that it is inaccurate makes the question of why it was created and implemented in the first place reasonable to ask considering it now is in game based on personal bias instead of reality.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  28. Blacknred81

If DTG made an SD70M and included the WE ARE ONE #1979 loco, it wouldn't receive the backlash that that one container has gotten over the last few days. (Because it actually exists, like the Trainbow)
    TRN_UP_Divesrity_Loco.jpg

• Like Like x 13
  29. chieflongshin

Agreed, it's just a very out of the blue nod. It's like watching the new James Bond film and all
    Of a sudden he does something totally out of character and then tries to continue as if nothing happened yet you just can't unsee it and wonder what prompted it. I know we have aliens in the game and a kraken but they don't have a message or nod to anything as such in the same manner.

I really like that livery above though, that's pretty smart

• Like Like x 1
  30. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I agree for this one it can be a special delivery option when spawning from the Menu. Remember 395 012 Trainbow can't be spawned from the start menu

31. OldVern

As an interesting aside, what cargo is actually being transported in the diversity container…? :cool::D

• Like Like x 1
  32. Blacknred81

Sailboat fuel.

• Like Like x 3
  33. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

All politics aside, this livery looks fantastic! I love how the multi-colour accents play with the black and white background :)

34. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

This needs to be in game like yesterday, what a livery

• Like Like x 4
  35. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

But we don't have an SD70M yet, do we?

36. Crosstie

As has been said by many of us, it's all a matter of authenticity. For example, in 1994, UP, I think it was, painted an SD40-2 emblazoned with the Stars and Stripes, as a tribute to the United Way charity. DTG has offered it as a dlc for TS for many years. No outcry has occurred. And the UP shield goes back over 100 years, in its various iterations. I repeat myself. If it exists in real life, it belongs in the game. If not, it doesn't. Personal statements, whatever they are, should be precluded from official dlc.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  37. appledates#4945

In this political climate it’s easy to paint someone who doesn’t agree with this as a “bad” person or that they are homophobic. Again as the “Trainbow” proved as a positive throughout the community because it was authentic, myself included. I do not agree that this should have been added, not because I don’t like a certain demographic, and yes there are things in TSW2 that aren’t authentic, but this wasn’t made to serve gameplay or the experience. This is someone’s political opinion being pushed on something it has no right being on in the first place.

• Like Like x 15
  38. damarjatiaji

damarjatiaji Guest

Very well said, can't agree more with you mate.

• Like Like x 4
  39. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

How much of this game isn't "True to real life" though? There's an absolute TON of artistic licence taken with all of the extant routes. You don't see me complaining that a particular platform's railings are not painted in the correct shade of ugly gloss paint which appears to have been ladled on to them, or that there are posters for imaginary films up on boards. Because like this, it makes literally ZERO difference to my in-cab experience of controlling the train.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  40. appledates#4945

• Like Like x 2
  41. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

You know, here's an advice to take: why not drop this discussion, and move on.
    All I can say is that it's just one container out of the other 100-200 containers in a train. And I've seen many criticizing points about the details in textures, models, sounds, etc. so why would this one be any different from the rest, being authentic, accurate, or not. At this point, honestly, I wouldn't care less for another thread to be locked up because of political discussions like these. So again, agree to disagree with Dovetail and just move on. And be happy or not with this route for what it's got, not from one tiny detail that can be ignored.
    (I'm not a fan of politics, so I'm not gonna agree or disagree with any of this at all. And that's that!)

• Like Like x 5
  42. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Did DTG say anything about why the PC GP38-2 isn't included in the timetable? I know there was mention that the Cane Creek locos weren't included due to braking issues with the Sherman consists, did they say anything similar for the GP38-2?

43. chieflongshin

Found this video with a pretty cool consist this morning. I'm wondering whether the loco is being pulled by the steam trains or if it's giving any input. It has made me think as well. Sherman hill is coming, steam is coming, are we laying the foundation for Big Boy?

What do you think?

(Just found this after i posted - The diesels are on the train for dynamic braking and fuel conservation purposes. They are freight diesels, not passenger diesels, and so DO NOT generate electricity for the passenger coaches; there are generator cars in the consist for that purpose.)

I wonder if we get passenger on this route then? Seems like the carriages all have their own names too. I love all the graphics and the "experience union pacific" livery.

44. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I came here to talk about containers, but I didn't realise this whole controversy about that container, so I will not comment about that.

However, I noticed the intermodal trains look a bit too "european", I'm used to US containers being more of a solid white/green/red with small logos on them, while we got what seems like a much more european-heavy container selection, with some of the US-based logistics companies missing (such as DeWalt), which makes IMO the intermodal trains look a bit out of place, almost like uncanny valley stuff, where it looks 98% right, but you can still notice something is wrong.

This, togheter with the SD70ACe cab (which is a bit too washed out), and the Class 66 sounds is making me kind of reconsider this purchase. Although the new physics are really awesome.

For people that live in the US, is my idea of intermodal train completely wrong? what is your opinion on the matter? I've watched some trainspotting videos in the US and I've never seen a train with so many EU-based containers (so as you can see I'm in no way an expert).

I am also aware of the fact it's not DTG's fault, because it's a licensing issue, but it doesn't matter what the problem is, or who is at fault, the result is still the same.

Having livery designer for the containers would solve the issue for me, but given how those are randomly placed on the container cars I can see why that could be a problem.

IMO, Sand Patch has better intermodal traffic, and it would be better in Sherman Hill if the majority of the containers were the solid colour unbranded ones in my opinion, I don't think Hapag-Lloyd, Hamburg Sud and ONE are that common in US intermodal trains.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

It's funny what is going on in this thread. We are forced to see a low door DOSTOS on the HHL route which absolutely breaks immersion. But somehow one different colored container is an issue with this game. There is legitimate criticism and then there is this.

Anyhow, I am not a fan of US cargo routes but this one seems good. I like the MFDs and in cab signalling. On my buy list for the 25th.

• Like Like x 3
  46. Blacknred81

In modern times, most railroads will usually have international 45ft, 40ft, and 20ft containers on their own train, separate from the domestic 53ft that are only used here in the states. There are a few times where they can get mixed together, but its just not as common as it was back in the 90s and 00s.
    trains.max-752x423.jpg
    up-train-schnitzel-bank_0.jpg
    UP_IntermodalTrain.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

That's not a very good argument, IMO, The trains in HHL are awful, one of the worse in this game, just being better than that doesn't mean it's good, by that reasoning the BR204 is fantastic because the transmission is just broken instead of completely missing like in the Class 150.

If you noticed, in my comment I also listed other, albeit small, complaints, but those add up.

I also talked about the "colours of the containers" (where the problems is more the lack of branding rather than colours) because I thought it might have been a rather quick fix that could still result in a much more immersive experience.

Also you talk about the DoStos, in a cointainer car, about 80/85% of the overall look of the container car IS the container transported, while for the DoStos, the only difference are where the doors are placed, the overall shape, colour and overall appearance is the same (but it's still not an excuse to use the wrong ones).
    Thanks, while I wouldn't want more 53' containers (I noticed they are not that common), I think the Hamburg-Sud, Hapag-Lloyd and ONE branded containers are still too many, in your picture there isn't 1 container from those logistics companies for example, no doubt they are there, but there are just too many of them in TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

While I agree about the incorrect Dostos car being pretty bad, creating an entirely new rolling stock is more difficult than simply repainting a few container textures.

And people were complaining about the Dostos as well, so I don't see your point. Why can't we complain about the containers as well?

• Like Like x 5
  49. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

Because the wrong dostos are an "innocent", a unpolitical issue where the container has a politicized flag. And you know: whenever there is some politics included, it gets very heated. If that container isnt there in real life, its a minus for realism, but in my opinion TSW has bigger realism problems then a container having an unrealistic livery. It wont bother me because I neither get bothered for the political meaning of the flag nor the unrealistic container livery but I can understand why people argue that its not realistic.

For people complaining just for the sake of politics: Come on guys, chill. Its a game.

Besides that, I think Sherman Hill could actually be the first US Freight route I can enjoy and this is mainly because of the dull scenery. This may sound weird but I really like big open plains as the classic US Freight route, mainly because "we" in Europe do have a lot of steep and curvy tracks with a lot of forest etc.

The rolling stock looks pretty much ok to but I dont want to judge that too much just on the basis of a preview stream. The sounds are pretty good I think.

In my opinion Sherman Hill is a route one can look forward to because it looks nice and has a cool atmosphere.

• Like Like x 3
  50. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Not weird at all to me. I love the scenery in the south-west of the USA, which was in fact the main reason I bought Cane Creek. The open prairie is one of the major points I‘m looking forward to with Sherman Hill.

• Like Like x 4