Sherman Hill Preview Clip

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Nov 16, 2021.

1. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Hopefully the trains are longer for PS4 and Xbox One too, because of memory optimization.

2. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

I really hope so too but I wouldn’t be surprised if they couldn’t do it on Xbox one or PS4. If not, it’s something to look forward to when people are able to upgrade!

3. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I‘d be very surprised if they are. They‘ll need to have made enormous progress in memory optimisation for that. From what I remember playing on the basic PS4, the framerate got extremely low once you go past ~60 cars.

4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

My bad, I didn’t think at the time as I was watching stream and doing other bits. On the flip side have you seen that other tsw2 clip? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. docsnyder1911

I built trains at SPG with 70 cars and the framerate was okay. With 100 cars it goes extremely down.

6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Maybe Clinchfield is a bit more resource intensive? When I did the service in which you briefly have 60 or 70 cars (one of the Greenbriar ones I think), I remember the frames dropping to below 15.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

It's not so much memory that's the issue, more that Simugraph has to run the full physics simulation on every vehicle (loco + fright car) in the player consist, which is a significant ask. I'm guessing the work Matt described a while ago on stream needed for Simugraph to support steam locos also allows them to squeeze more out of Simugraph for non-steam locos too, allowing them to double the consist length.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. docsnyder1911

Perhaps Matt will have some answers about the trainlenght in tomorrows Sherman Hill preview stream. And if there are differences between the platforms. I hope so. :)

And in yesterday's stream Matt said, that they postponed Horseshoe, because they want to enable longer trains there too. He didn't said in that context, that there are differences between the plattforms.

The conclusion of that could be, that they found a solution to optimize simugraph for longer trains on all platforms like wxtr7 said.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

That just means everyone will be getting longer trains. Doesn't mean that everyone will have the same length of train - that wasn't really relevant.

10. alphasquad#7151

alphasquad#7151 Member

I wonder what the new liveries are?

11. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Matt probably made a pink one.

12. alphasquad#7151

alphasquad#7151 Member

pink one?

13. chieflongshin

Matt likes pink things. If you've seen his streams he usually has a pink headset on. It's a running community jest with him

• Like Like x 1
  14. Clumsy Pacer

This isn't a new thing by the way - he's joked for years that he wants to spray his car pink but his wife won't let him.

• Like Like x 1
  15. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Will lower end PC CPUs be able to handle the long trains? If not is there a way to cap train lengths?

16. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I suppose they must have made some optimalization to the physics that allowed them to go for 100+ long trains. If that's the case, then the performance should be the same as on older routes, ideally. I mean I doubt they just thought "hey, let's add longer trains this time" and just went ahead. They must have made some changes that made them think it's okay to go bigger.

17. Clumsy Pacer

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but I've noticed a nice FPS bump (25-35 up to 60, or 40 in busy areas) since the 4.26 update (not on the RH routes though), so i suspect that'll have helped.

18. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

No, He said in the stream on Thursday that PS4 / Xbox One will have SPG length trains. Only next gen consoles will have the 100 limit.

Regards
    Hentis

19. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Matt said in the stream that lack of processing power rather than lack of memory is the limiting factor for longer trains on Gen 8 consoles such as PS4 etc. Apparently it's tied up with the processing required to run Simugraph for each of the wagons.

20. chieflongshin

Eventually we need to appreciate the software is knocking on the door to our pace the hardware. I think as the availability of gen 9 consoles ease we'll see the gap widen bit by bit.

Theres literature online suggesting the chip shortage is improving and they anticipate more closer to normal supply early 2022 so factoring in manufacturing and 2 months on a boat the availability will increase q2 next year

• Like Like x 1