No Midnight Release For Dlc On Playstation Platforms

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by antony.henley, Nov 24, 2021.

1. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Is it so the DTG Ambassador's get more coverage?

First the Rush Hour Routes Crashing, the livery creator is broke, then the PS5 DLC limit, the Trophy balls up and now the DLC release schedule has changed your not really making this easy are you.
    Very disappointed with this decision.

Hentis

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  2. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

As am I, in my opinion DTG ambassadors add nothing so why can’t they wait, not only are they taking our views but mixing up peoples schedules

• Like Like x 6
  3. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

While I personally think nighttime is for sleeping, not for video gaming, this is just another kick in the teeth for Playstation players. First the 4.26 update disaster for PS4 users, then the 64gb DLC limit debacle, then the trophies issue and now they are taking away midnight releases, all in the space of 3 months.

• Like Like x 6
  4. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I'm not lucky enough to be an ambassador as you know, but my passion for my own weekly Wednesday streams is waning somewhat. As a Youtuber, the fact I don't have all my DLC available to me to choose from without jumping through hoops is still a massive let down. I think right now I am going through the biggest burn out with TSW I've ever had due to that and the other issues you mentioned.

I'm also going to make a bold statement here, which is just my own personal opinion, but I haven't found an ambassador yet that I enjoy watching. I probably haven't seen them all though and I'm not sure if a list has ever been published but I would be quite happy to check more of them out if there was.

on the midnight release part I don’t think I have ever been up at midnight to play any DLC or game new so it doesn’t bother me too much.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  5. antony.henley

Yes agree there, Burnout has hit me as I have temporarily halted two my video series. Mainly because of the problems caused by Rush hour.
    I kind of struggle to get the kind of views that other (including the Ambassadors) get. Mainly as i dont have time in my working days. Up to last Friday* I did my normal 40+ hour week at work and then I also did 115 hours a week of caring for my mum, Some of you who have watched my streams know I have to stop halfway through and sort her out for the night, thats it thats just how it is. Having a release at midnight for DLC enabled me just to either do an hours stream of promoting the content well that's DTG's loss now as well as mine. I just feel its another kick in the teeth to be honest.

* I have just been made redundant after 27 years, although I am looking for a new job I have a few plans on the side to try and do over the next few months and one of them is trying to make new content this certainly doesn't help me in deciding to make new TSW content.

Regards

Hentis

• Like Like x 6
  6. Task

Task Well-Known Member

LOL no. But if that’s your opinion just look for other games you can complain about and stop bothering us here, thank you.

• Like Like x 10
  7. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

I very much doubt it is for ambassadors. For the sake of a few hours. Odd the patches are no longer on Tuesdays either. Am sure there is an amazing reason behind the scenes why but to be honest… coming from a midnight day one buyer of a very long time… do you/we really need to stay up later and play for a short while before going to bed? Probably not.

This also coming from someone who has pretty much given up on the game and hardly play anymore. DLC chop and change I could live with but miss out on those previous layers if extra routes or locos aren’t installed.

really want the new Cornwall line and the 313 but no trophy’s (stupid shortsighted planning, here is your lovely rush hour update where we will reach a limit we know about a few months down the line) I’m not spending a penny

And lastly sorry to hear your news hentis, hope you manage to secure a new role somewhere soon.

• Like Like x 3
  8. ukpetey

ukpetey Well-Known Member

I’m not bothered if content isn’t released at midnight. Not in the slightest, I’m generally asleep then

• Like Like x 1
  9. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

The change in time is not so Ambassadors get more coverage. It's so that we are more available to provide the community with support should you need it. In the early hours of the morning many of the team and in bed and are unable to assist.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  10. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Also forgot to mention people like me and you have or had day jobs which meant maki my content hard, some ambassadors may not work and have the time to stream/ make content daily, either they will run out of money or they’ll have to find a job. But in all seriousness I think the ambassadors SHOULD have been lesser known tsw YouTubers

• Like Like x 3
  11. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I really don’t care when it’s released. A few hours or even a day isn’t going to make a lot of difference to the rest of my life.

I get as excited for new stuff as much as anyone, but it doesn’t hurt to be a bit patient.

As for the Ambassadors. I’d also like to see a list. I’ve found 2 and while I’ll happily watch them both, I find they are both overly positive of everything when, even my untrained eye knows something is wrong. Would be nice to find one with a more balanced opinion.

• Like Like x 6
  12. antony.henley

But then if people download it at Midnight and if there are problems then surely there will be a bunch of posts on the forums already that you can work with straight off in the morning, thus getting the right help earlier than you would say if you released it later in the day. By the time problems have arisen you are off home, thus leaving us hanging for fixes overnight so we are no better off.

Hentis

• Like Like x 15
  13. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Hold on a cotton pickin’ minute. The DLC is due to be released tomorrow (24th), not midnight or any other time. It will as far as I know release tomorrow. If it is released at 11.59pm, it will not be late.

Chill out folks and get some sleep. You’ll feel all the better for it in the morning.

• Like Like x 7
  14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I love the fact that there are still some trying to blame DTG for Sony actions over which DTG has no control: the trophy limit and the DLC cap.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Yeah yeah ;)

sure the DLC cap was a surprise to everyone but the trophy’s I have a point. Start a fresh such as a new game? Or have discussions months ago about set 4 for the PS4 or a higher cap for the PS5.

Anyway back to the release date / time issue that’s nothing to do with ambassadors…:D

• Like Like x 1
  16. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I was getting ready to buy the route as soon as it came out, so it’s a shame that the release will be a bit later on Thursday. I used to be able to purchase add-ons at 9 PM on Wednesday night! Maybe it’s for the best. I can’t experience the tutorials and then expect to fall asleep with the Sherman Hill experience on my mind :)

17. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

This is yet another bad decision from DTG. Nobody benefits from this decision. Its going to create more confusion in the community and the forums will be spammed with "where is the route"? The current formula works so why change it?

• Like Like x 1
  18. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

If the DLC was released at 9am then I'd believe this, however it's often released about an hour before DTG (and most UK companies) finish for the day. This then means that we are waiting until the following day at the earliest for a fix to whatever mistake has been made this time.

• Like Like x 7
  19. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Think that is rather a rude comment. The person is speaking about how they see things, which is valid, just not yours.

Personally if this goes on much longer, even I wonder where DTG will be next year. I think everyone can acknowledge that 2021 has not really been DTG year of a success story now has it.

• Like Like x 3
  20. borg#1850

One persons Midnight, is another's Midday :)

21. Task

Task Well-Known Member

Not when you know his other posts... When you constantly say how bad a game is and then buy all the add ons anyway you are doing something wrong.

• Like Like x 2
  22. antony.henley

Exactly!

• Like Like x 2
  23. borg#1850

Well maybe he is just hoping the next one will be ok. I have certainly stopped buying anything, but keep an eye on here just in case i miss something.

• Like Like x 3
  24. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

I assume the time change is because they are now pressing the button manually rather than scheduling automatically. This would allow them to pull the launch last minute if needed, avoiding the partial launch they had for WCL when it was pulled last minute.

• Like Like x 1
  25. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Xbox was changed to the same thing when rush hour was released. There was alot of grumbling when that happened but it didn't even last a month before that died out completely.

And PC has never been at midnight. So it was obvious it would change. Especially because this enables them to put a hold on releases without some having access for a couple of hours before it gets pulled like what happened with WCL.

It really is not a big deal, unless you are trying to be the first to stream new content for views. But you will never beat out the ambassadors, they get an early access key and can have 2 or 3 videos set up before the official release. Even if it came out at midnight.

And of course there will be no negativity on their streams. Look how fast DTG removed the Youtube stream of the Let's play with Sam from Friday. You know where it crashed on Boston Sprinter and London Commuter on a good PC.

Quick cover up the bugs!

• Like Like x 3
  26. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The PS "midnight" is local, and this is what doesn't make too much sense in this. If it's midnight in Australia then it's 1PM in the UK, that would be 1PM Wednesday afternoon, when the dev and publishing teams are all in the office.

Maybe there aren't enough users East of the Bosphorus for DTG to tell if it's messed up or not, so it's not until it hits Europe proper they can determine how bad a situation is (though they did do this with the West Cornwall route on xbox if I remember correctly)

27. TinTin_57

Was looking for the replay, thought I was going mad

• Like Like x 1
  28. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

It's still there, but marked as unlisted so you need the direct link:

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It doesn’t really make any difference what time the DLC releases. As long as we know when it is, having it release later isn’t an issue. PC players get it at UK teatime. I’m sure PS and xbox players can handle it.

It’s also worth pointing out for those who like the midnight release, they can wait until the midnight after the daytime release and, bingo, a midnight download for them. Sorted :D

If this is all about losing the opportunity to be first to stream the content, that is a bit of an inward way of looking at it, not a real argument for anyone outside Australia and NZ anyway (they were always going to be first), and can’t be used as the basis for criticism of DTG. It’s just one of those things. Youtube (and other platforms) streamers can adjust to the new schedule. They can still stream the content just maybe at a different time or date. People who like their streams will still tune in.

• Like Like x 4
  30. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I'm coming from Xbox with this option, as you'll likely know, we get new releases when you do.

My opinion: I don't care.

As far as I'm concerned the early hours of the morning are for sleeping (unless you work on a Nightshift, in which case, why are you even thinking about a TSW release?), not really for the PlayStation/Xbox/PC/whatever.

More to the original post:
    > Rush Hour routes crashing effects everyone. They're working actively on that.
    > The livery editor was patched for PS, was it not?
    > The DLC Limit, ask Sony.
    > The trophy reduction is due to how trophies are set up, so can't blame dovetail there.
    > DLC Schedule Changed? Ok, it's not like they've said "oh yeah, pc gets it a week earlier". Not the end of the world by any metric.

• Like Like x 4
  31. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Mmmmm interesting thanks for the info.

• Like Like x 2
  32. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

I am a baker, I sleep from day to day, it is not the same for everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

No, it wasn‘t. Nat‘s latest update was that the team is aware of it and that there are currently no further news on a possible fix.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Willowrpe

Willowrpe Well-Known Member

the PS4 / 5 version of Sherman Hill is out now so its not really that much later I'm fine with this

35. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I often work when the DLC's are released so I'm often asleep at midnight, I work 8am-8pm so I'll often download any when I get home and have a proper bash on Friday so it doesn't bother me that they aren't getting released at Midnight.

36. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

I agree it’s an unnecessary decision, but I actually think it’s going to create less confusion, as you’ll no longer have Steam and Xbox players wondering how some people got it so early.

37. ARuscoe

You mean console players don't understand time zones? Surely you're doing them a disservice...?

• Like Like x 1
  38. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

Why do you bring times zones into this? This thread is about the end of midnight releases on Playstation.

• Like Like x 1
  39. ARuscoe

When it's midnight in New Zealand it's early morning in California and if something is released at midnight in timezone specific fashion (as it has been to this point) then people in different countries might get their DLC 21 hours apart.
    So time is relative, therefore timezones are relevant

• Like Like x 2
  40. hells.high.lord666

hells.high.lord666 Well-Known Member

There's a good reason that people are blaming DTG for the DLC cap and that is that they ignored the message when Sony informed them of it months before it was implimented! Seems a bit strange that TSW is the only game on PS as far as I know that can't utilize all of its DLC!

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  41. ARuscoe

Not really strange. DLC in most other games I know of add into the main core rather than being complete systems outside of "the game itself". In TSW almost all of the content is in the DLC rather than the "main game" so it's not too surprising that they have large DLC files and a small core game

42. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

Can you name another game that even has over 64GB of DLC?

Yes they missed it, but since Sony never imagined that any game would ever reach this limit, my guess it wasn't well advertised.

TSW Is just unique is how it's DLC works and platforms aren't really desidlsned to cope with it. It still means DTG are obligated to fix it though, which they are in the process of doing.

• Like Like x 3
  43. hells.high.lord666

Call of duty games have over 100gb of dlc and seem to be able to utilize all of it with no issues

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. ARuscoe

Are those files loaded into the core when installed or kept as satellite add ons?

45. hells.high.lord666

I assume they're loaded into the core but then IF DTG had taken any notice of the Sony notification about DLC limits then TSW DLC would also be able to load into the core game. All in all other game devs have figured it out but DTG ignored it.

• Like Like x 1
  46. ARuscoe

If they're loaded into the core then it's not relevant to the situation with DTG
    DTG say they tried loading everything into the core but it caused more problems than it solved.

In essence the issue comes down to MOUNTED DLC rather than stored, so hopefully they can work out dynamic mounting so only what you're using is in memory rather than everything being loaded at all times

47. Chas

Chas Well-Known Member

Some of the TSW2 You Tubers are almost embarrassing to watch as they fawn away with childlike enthusiasm whilst showcasing routes that are totally bug ridden and practically unplayable due to performance issues. By being so oblivious to what the community are experiencing they zero out any reputation they may have had and end up being viewed as lickspittle sycophants whose opinions have little value.

EXACTLY! I wish I had seen that.

DTG is turning into a joke and it comes as no surpise to find the head man there (Paul Jackson) once worked at EA games, a company that achieved great noteriety for angering both customers and the wider gaming community. In his defence, Jackson's involvement in the SIMS series can be seen as a great success so he is capable of leading a development team to deliver a polished and successful product.

Unfortunately with Train SIm World he has failed to replicate that winning formula and no amount of fake praise from so called "Ambassadors" can hide the fact that the game is currently a mess or to put it in technical terms : FUBAR.

• Like Like x 2
  48. ARuscoe

I would suggest you go back a few years and see that nothing that is happening now is new... People like Alan Thomson have been saying basically the same about TSC as people are saying now about TSW

• Like Like x 1
  49. TinTin_57

anyone have the direct link to the unlisted video?

50. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

The video is still up on Twitch, which is kind of a hole in the suppression conspiracy thing. Plus, problems are brought up and discussed on numerous videos that are still up, and in numerous forum threads that are still undeleted and open. Cover-ups are both not happening and impossible to achieve anyway.

• Like Like x 2