Which Train Do You Prefer? Ice Vs Tgv

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Horizelux, Nov 24, 2021.

?
  1. DB ICE 3 class 406

2. SNCF TGV Duplex

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

Which high-speed train does the community prefer? The ICE or the TGV? please feel free to vote and tell us why it's your favourite. (All the opinions expressed below are mine, yours may be different.)

Personally speaking, I prefer the TGV for a few reasons. A quick comparison:

Sound
    The ICE has a wonderful sound, the sound of its motors never fails to impress. The TGV on the other hand reminds me of a washing machine. Or a vacuum cleaner. Your choice. At 320kmh, Both sound great although I find the ICE to be significantly louder at that speed.

Looks
    Very subjective, but I prefer the ICE. Its sleek design and curvy nature suit it. However, when it comes to livery, the TGV's Charmillion livery is a work of art, unlike the boring red stripe and white background of the ICE. Pretty bland.

Driving experience
    If I'm being brutally honest, the ICE gets boring to drive fast. it feels very... artificial and robotic, the way it controls and accelerates. It feels scripted (I mean, it is) and all this is without LZB and AFB. Don't get me wrong though, it's one of the more relaxing trains to drive. Whereas the TGV is a lot more fun to control. It's less technologically advanced which means there's more of you doing the work rather than something like LZB. The way the TGV handles, brakes and accelerates feel more alive and less artificial than the ICE.

Cab
    This is a tough one. I like the openness of the ICE cab and the fact that you can literally press a button and make the glass behind you transparent. However, I'm not a fan of the general layout and design of the desk. I love the seating position of the TGV's cab, it feels great sitting up that high. I don't think I particularly like the weird rectangle box between the two power controls (why 2 throttle levers??), right in front of you. The TGV's cab certainly feels a lot more dark and plasticky, but both cabs feel like a spaceship.

Overall, I think it's safe to say that both trains made history, broke world records and are marvels of engineering. They're icons of two great countries and having them in TSW2 is a pleasure. Looking forward to your responses below, have an awesome day.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Generally speaking I like both as they both offer something different and interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  3. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

DB BR406 because it uses an EMU setup, unlike the TGV Duplex which must use a power car on both sides. In reality, the DB BR406 is also capable of running French LGV Tracks as DB BR406 ICE3MF version while TGV Duplex can run on German tracks as the Euroduplex. That requires the TGV Duplex to use its 1.95m DC pantograph for Deutsche Bahn 15kv 16.7hz wires

4. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

I like both, but voted for the TGV because of the route it runs on in TSW. You actually have to really pay attention to what you're doing, because you can easily lose control on the steep 3% inclines and declines over the route.

• Like Like x 1
  5. KaZu

KaZu New Member

I grew up with the TGV Duplex so it is nostalgia speaking when I voted for it. I really like ICE trains too but the TGV truly have a special place in my heart.

I may be wrong but the TGV sticked with this configuration because it is very hard to get to 320 km/h with a Duplex EMU as it would lack power (that's the issue JR East had with their E4 Series and the reason they abandonned Duplex Shinkansen)

• Like Like x 1
  6. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

We stick to a train set configuration so we can swipe power car easily if one is faulty instead of putting out the whole set and as we use Jacob bogies it’s difficult to swipe coaches but not power car fitted with classic bogies. It’s not hard to do a double decker EMU running at 320 kph as the world record V150 ran at 574.8 kph with motorized Jacob bogies and it was two POS locomotives with 3 Duplex coaches. I personally like more the TGV for an obvious reason ( in orange and Atlantique livery ) but also the ICE they have their own personalities

• Like Like x 3
  7. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

The TGV gives a charm that you don’t get from any other high speed train in TSW

• Like Like x 1
  8. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

Very well said, driving a TGV feels more like driving a traditional locomotive, rather than one of the fastest trains in the world. the ICE on the other hand feels like a proper EMU, which is becoming almost too common these days.

• Like Like x 1