Sherman Hill

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by larrycv43, Nov 25, 2021.

1. larrycv43

larrycv43 Member

The route is not that bad. Still have the annoying bell issue(bell stays on). It trying to control the train downhill. The dynamics are not powerful enough. No crashes as of yet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. vmeck

vmeck New Member

3. septafan

septafan Active Member

On PS4 pro i have no bell sound at all

4. pascal.weick

pascal.weick Member

Removed by DTG Natster - watch your language.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 26, 2021
  5. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

A fix for the bell will be available for PC today with console to follow over the next couple of days - unfortunately it takes a bit longer to get updates out on console. I will let everyone know once we have a firm date you can expect this update.

6. vammultr#8320

vammultr#8320 New Member

I just bought the route today. It's ok, no issues so far on PS4. I am broadcasting the route in English for VAM Multilingual Trains. The game is awesome with its unique scenery.

7. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

I have no bell issues on PS4. But SMH crashes by switching external cams. And although the trains in timetable mode have 40 cars at maximum the framerate goes extremely down. I never had that even with 50 car trains at SPG. And that route needs much more ressources than SMH. I think the development process goes not in the best direction. Especially after the use of the new UE version this year.

8. larrycv43

larrycv43 Member

The bell and the the camera in the engineer seat camera in the SD70 is fixed with the new patch. Not having any issues so far on PS5. I am loving the long trains. I switched from PS4 to PS5 a month ago and it makes a difference.

9. IfICanDream

IfICanDream Active Member

On Over The Hill/Hermosa-Cheyenne Yard, I can’t get the train to move. I went through all the start up procedures and the train just sits there. What did I do wrong?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  10. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Did you set the braking correct on the MFD?
    Did you wait until the rear brakes were fully released?
    Did you turn on banking comms so that the front and rear locos can talk to each other?

11. IfICanDream

I followed the same procedure in the intro to the loco. I guess I may have to wait longer.

12. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

It takes a long time for the brakes to release on this route. The train will not move until the rear brake pressure reaches a minimum of 65-70psi. If you try to move before the rear reaches the correct pressure, you'll go nowhere.
    When I play Sherman Hill, I always let the rear brakes show at least 80psi (a small little box under the main pressures on the MFD) before I apply power and set off. I also hold the train on the independent brake until I'm ready and the automatic brakes are almost fully released.

A lot of people seem to forget that you can't move off straight away on this route.

• Like Like x 2
  13. IfICanDream

Thank you.

14. rustyknight07

rustyknight07 Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

My base PS4 crashes not always. But it crashes especially when I change external camera from the end of the train to the internal cockpit camera.

• Like Like x 1
  16. kekanha#4892

kekanha#4892 Active Member

You have 3. the dynamics, use them at the beginning, when they can no longer hold the train, go to the direct and when you see that you are going to lose it, you go to the automatic, with all three you will surely contain it. You cannot lose it, because you lose it, you can no longer find it. use all 3 brakes.

17. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

No, do not use the loco brake and the dynamic at the same time!

But you can use dynamic and automatic brake together, just be sure to bail-off the loco brake every time after applying the automstic brake, as otherwise the dynamic brakes won't work.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Control speed with the dynamics; if they won't hold speed then dial in about ten to fifteen pounds on the train brake (baling off), and then use that as a base on top of which you can control speed with the dynamics. If that still isn't enough, increase the train brake. The one thing you DON'T want to do is release or decrease pressure in the train brake, until you're off the steep part, at least: pumping that brake will run you out of air, leaving you with no brakes save emergency. (Remember how long it takes to recharge the system; that's how long you'll have to wait between train brake applications).

And remember, keep your speed downhill to 30 or less; faster than that your brakes can't keep it under control and you'll get a runaway.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  19. kekanha#4892

Not tigueder but you put the direct at 60%, and then you change to automático you can use the 3 not at same time but you can use the 3. Question of pratice. In clinchfiel is mor dificult the SD40 is not powerful to suport climas with 3.0 downhill

20. kekanha#4892

I sugest you pratice in clinchield with rain. Not onli to down, allso to up. Because most of the time you have to Lunch the loco to have enough power to get the top. Y cud stop the SD 70 at 53 miles hour. So you pratice. In sand patch you have 2 or 3 were to pratice, and you have the SD40 from clinchfield, she have dinamics. And the SD 70 in timetables. The SD40 from clinchfield is perfect to pratice. Sorry mi english mate.

21. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

I haven't touched the route since the day it was released and I purchased it, because I've wanted to play it on stream. I've since been putting off streaming the route because I've been genuinely very anxious to play it after reading the difficulties many on here encountered. I finally plucked up the courage to run it today (albeit not live), and following both of the quotes I've included here, I not only managed to run the train down the grade, but had the train under such control that I arrived with the rear brakes reading 90. I also managed to stop at the extremely tight marker first time (I was saving a few times on approach just in case). This was an exciting route for me and I look forward to being tested again, I'm usually comfortable in modern EMUs and so that's what I usually prefer, but I'm open to trying pretty much anything and enjoy learning. Just wanted to specifically say thank you to solicitr and Dinosbacsi for the advice you've given, it may be a small section of the vast railway knowledge you have, but to me it's helped earn a great achievement.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

No problem, my man! Happy to hear you had a good run. I think Sherman Hill is really good to offer an actually challenging and fun experience that currently no other route really offers. Sounds a bit scary at first, but a really good experience and it's fun when you actually mess up and get a runaway train where your only option left is the emergency brake.

Also don't worry about it, I also learnt all that from here by other forum users and Matt himself. It's a great place to learn new things.