Xbox Sherman Hill Unable To Get Moving

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by AtherianKing, Nov 25, 2021.

1. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I have done what is usually required to start by setting the loco to lead and brakes cut in but on a 0.8 gradient down hill the train is struggling to go on various notches of power, it keeps having major wheel slip and goes back around 2mph but only move forwards to around 0.3 mph before slipping

it almost seems as though the gradients are the wrong way around

Xbox series x
    SD70

2. dr1980

dr1980 Member

Same boat here, I feel like I've done everything by the book but I can't seem to get any train moving. I've set up the lead locomotive as per the tutorial, I've let the brakes completely release, and once I apply power it will hit about 0.3mph before it just grainds to a halt. It's as if I'm dragging an anchor or something.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Apparently the brakes can take several minutes to release fully, due to the length of the train. So it might be that you guys couldn't get moving because the rear of the train was still braking. Try waiting more.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  4. pascal.weick

pascal.weick Member

Ive tried the whole day and im on PS5. On a normal grade, not up or down, i can get it to move but its very tricky. Tried it for nearly 45 minutes on a 0.8 grade uphill. No chance at all. And yes the brakes were fully released. Im really having enough of this. And if you ask me, its gonna be the very same on the Horseshoe Curve...

• Like Like x 1
  5. thomas.n.wyndham

thomas.n.wyndham New Member

Having the same problem on the first service beyond the tutorials in the Journey. Was as if the brakes were hand on at the rear of the train, despite waiting ages.

6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I did not have any problem with this service, but you need to wait quite long and check the rear BP pressure, which should be at least over 75 before you can try. I play on PC.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

I was eventually able to get going with my service but 75 was still to strong for around 106 long loco it was 79-80 when it eventually started to move but at least 10 minutes into the service

8. NQuarter

NQuarter Member

Had same problem, but just had to wait much longer. However on a 0.8grad I can't make it over 23Mph, does this sound normal? EDIT: actually, I'm now losing speed.

9. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Have you clicked the banking comms button on the radio at the left of the control panel? If you havn't turned that on, then the rear locomotives will not provide power.

10. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Okay, so the trick here is that as it gets to 0.3, you increase the throttle by another notch. If you don't do this, it will grind to a halt. If you do, you will see it begin to creep up slowly above that, as it reaches 0.7, kick it up another notch, or it'll slam back again, keep doing this and eventually it'll go over 1mph and slowly begin rising.

11. jaemes.hunt

jaemes.hunt Member

When setting off, you need to wait almost ten minutes before the brakes have fully released. Here is my to do list:

1) Switch brakes (On the Multi Function Display screen) to Lead and Cut-In
    2) Release Auto Brake (If on a hill set Independent Brake to Full Service)
    3) Zoom in on the top left of the Multi Function Display in the cab. You will see your brake pressures. After releasing the Auto Brake the Equalizing Res will display 90. To recognize when it is time to start moving take note of two more displays. The Brake Pipe will need to read 89 or 90 and the most notable is the 'Rear' display. The Rear is a small box to the left directly below the Equalizing Res. This will slowly be climbing in pressure. This is displaying the pressures at the rear of the consist. Once this reads 80 or higher, you will be able to start moving without issues. The longer the consist, the longer this will take as it it takes time for the air pressures to travel up and down the entirety of the consist. If you try moving before the "Rear" display reads 80 or higher, the brakes at the back are still not fully released.

The whole process can take upto 10 minutes.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Princess Entrapta

You should be going faster than that, though probably not by too much, especially in a longer train. You definitely have the trailing locos configured correctly and banking comms on, right? So they're not dead weight?

13. NQuarter

NQuarter Member

Sorry I did have a typo that I didn't notice, it's "32" not "23". On a 0.8 Grade, I tend to get to around 32, and then slowly drop down in speed on the Grade. When I reach the 1.5, I will drop below 20 [yes 20 this time not 30, no typo].

Well, from what I understand when you start a Timetable Service, your Trailing Loco's are already setup aren't they? Either way I don't touch anything in their Cabs, and yes I do set the Banking Comm on in the Lead.

I'll make a Vid when I get home from work so people can see what I am doing, or what the issue is, but yeah I thought even though I'm pulling a long and heavy Train, that speed would be lower than it should have really been.

But honestly, I'm not much of a Freight runner, mainly Commuters, and I haven't done any Freight in TSW2, only in TS which isn't Simulated as well, so for all I know this is probably a normal behavior, so just curious if I am doing something wrong or not.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

20 mph is just fine on an uphill. That's accurate, not a bug: these trains are heavy! The important thing with freight is that it gets there, not that it gets there fast.

15. Princess Entrapta

32 is absolutely normal on the 0.8 in these.and yeah, I tend to be around 20-25 on the 1.5

16. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

NQuarter If you want to confirm that the banking comm is working, you can look in the window of the rear lead loco with the camera and use your controller/keyboard to wiggle the throttle or brake lever. The rear lead levers should mirror the movements.