Sherman Hill = Another Definitive Feedback Thread, How Would You Answer These?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Nov 18, 2021.

1. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

You wrong. you talked about releasing brakes I talked about charging brake. You must charge brake so you can brake then after.
    If you releasing brake in when it is 76 in rear and then brake from 90-80 psi you dont get any brake in rear. you must under 76psi to get any brakes at all in back in train. But first half maybe brake.
    Learn brake theory

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

In practice, engineers will apply throttle with rear BP pressure in the mid-70s because the brakes at the back will have released enough for the train to start moving. No, the rear cars' cylinders will not be fully charged at that point, but the assumption is that they will be fully charged by the time you'll need the auto brake again. The exception is if you're starting on a long downgrade.

Of course, if you want to go make a sandwich while the aft BP gets all the way up to 89.....

3. jörgen Näslund

yes of course you can start the train but if you not soon shall use the train brake soon. during time you rolling you charge the rear Auxiliary reservoirs.
    But if you soon must brake you must charge the whole train to get full auto brake application force. Else you maybe just have half train brake force.
    Auxiliary reservoir is the important thing in every wagon.
    it is the one who have brakes force in every wagon. You must charge this to get train brake.
    Brake force is the different from brake pipe Psi and Auxiliary reservoir Psi
    more info here Link

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

So running with the rear about 76 I had the runaway train scenario. Waiting the extra time before setting off to allow it to get up to 90 (it takes some time) the train runs pretty decent downhill

5. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I would hope the console versions get there bell fix soon,the randomness of the EMD70ACe bell going on and off without me doing anything to activate it and the switch to turn the bell on or off does nothing.

6. jörgen Näslund

Yes braking is hard in long trains. so many things to consider. use dynamic brake in combination with auto brake.
    Dynamic brake is stronger in slower speed. So If you just drive 30 mph the dynamic brake could do much of the braking
    Autobrake should only be "used once". if you release the brake and brake again soon then you have lost some braking effect due to Auxiliary reservoir have not been charged enough. one can be completely without brakes actually if braking such way 3-5 times

Brake He explain it well LInk

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021
  7. liftow

liftow New Member

Well that's your problem right there bud. It's a 10 year old card.

8. liftow

liftow New Member

As per usual, because from a quick glance at these forums it seems the status quo here is still quite happy to accept broken buggy, overpriced dlc that never gets patched because they're too busy pushing out more broken buggy DLC. We clearly, as end users who have invested a huge amount of money into this company, need to start having a discussion about why DTG won't replace it's design team with one that can use Unreal to its fullest capabilities while delivering the performance and quality assurance standards that this platform sorely needs. Let's discuss.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

So? It runs all other TSW routes fine. So if the main performance issue for the majority of players here is caused by .ini settings, then it should run this as well (in worst case on lower foilage settings).

10. liftow

liftow New Member

I highly doubt its running fine, on a 1050ti man. I've owned the card, its a good card but I remember the performance I was getting on 4 years ago. So it runs other routes, doesn't matter. You should be used to the expected horrible performance this company is noted for and coupled with Sherman Hill having massive classification cards your card is in over its head. Upgrade your gear if you want to run with the big boys.

11. chieflongshin

Why are new members always so weird when they first join the forum,? There’s nothing to prove by demeaning others

• Like Like x 4
  12. Dinosbacsi

Okay, big boy...

But regardless of what you believe or not, it does run all other routes fine. I plan on upgrading sometimes in the future, as I am aware it's aging, but it's not my higher priority now. I'm rather spending my money on my car and other hobbies, as for now this card it still holding up pretty well.

Well he is a big boy, didn't you read? He clearly needs to prove that somehow.

As for the route, I think I'll be getting it in the next day or so and give it a go. See how it runs. If it's really as bad as people are saying, refund is always there as an option.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

From what I've heard because it's a plain route, the foliage draw distance is probably larger, to begin with. Let's say that the foliage draw distance for SH is 3 times the normal. Well in my case I had a 5x multiplier in .ini and that would make it draw already heavy foliage 15 times further than on a normal route without ini tweaks. When I took that one ini and brought it back to default, my fps went nearly back to normal.

Also keep in mind you draw an area, so it squares up.

14. jörgen Näslund

Strange, that it seems that only certain computers seem to have problems with foliage
    Matt computer in stream have no problem. But mine has. Gpu 100% and still just 16 fps (in Ultra all)
    Can it have with what type of graphics card we have. I have Nvidia card

Geforce 2080 I7-8700 3,2 GHz 32 Ram

15. chieflongshin

If you have engine ini mods you need to look at your level of detail line, that's a big killer. I took that out and I'm running the foliage slider back on ultra.

16. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Whoa. Not much you can do there but climb onto the loco and praise the sun.

Runaway Train.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  17. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

My guess is that some do not use common sense when it comes to responding to others posts with little regard to how they treat others. It's a down right shame that this continues to happen here in the forums.

• Like Like x 1
  18. jörgen Näslund

Yes. I have not changed this in several year, but I have this. And If I take it away I can have all in Ultra again.
    But in other all routes this have worked but not in this route. With this new settings I have again great fps but now the the spruces and pines (even grass) changes very close to the locomotive.
    so it got uglier this way

r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0.75
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=5
    r.TextureStreaming=0
    r.ViewDistanceScale=5

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  19. chieflongshin

I might be wrong but I think with the other routes the draw distance is a lot less. On this route with the high draw distance you're asking it draw loads of foliage over miles and miles which to be fair we don't see. I think that's what's happening.

• Like Like x 3
  20. damarjatiaji

damarjatiaji Guest

Now my fps drop issue just happened in the Yard, especially if there another long AI train around. Across the mainline, my frames pretty stable at around 30 to 40 fps on Ultra (including the foliage quality). Weirdly enough, i still don't get latest fix for ACe's bell and Sherman Hill performance fix.

21. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Talking about render distances is it possible to increase train render distance? Wasn't a problem before when trains were short, but now you can't see the whole thing and see cars popping in and out of the view at the back.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. SHINO BAZ

Great Movie...Just wish we had GP7's so we could recreate the train from runaway train.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  23. jörgen Näslund

yes this is even important. Now we just see 30% of the train. Is there anyone some setting to do even in engine.ini

• Like Like x 1
  24. Dinosbacsi

Alright, bought it and gave it a go today. I have to say, so far I'm really loving it!
    [​IMG]

The performance really takes a noticeable hit. As others have said as well, it must be the grass. It seems to have a much longer draw distance than other grass type foilage. I mean most grass just appears like 50 meters or so around you - but on this route there is one type that seems to render from much further away, as you can see it on this hill quite a distance away from the tracks. It looks good, but having this much grass around must really take a toll on performance.
    [​IMG]
    That being said, on Medium foilage settings even my 1050Ti can handle it in a playable way. Noticeably lower framerate and sometimes it stutters a bit when rotating the camera quicky, but playable. That being said, I do hope they manage to optimalize it a bit.

The scenery is possibly one of the best in TSW! Excellent use of terrain painting to make nice looking distant fields. This is what other routes (like Arosa) should('ve) done as well. Just the way the different terrain textures mix to bring out the detail even out of empty fields, and those small dirt roads/paths snaking aorund. I just love it.
    [​IMG]
    Of course there are some issues, like very often it's really ugly how the ballast meets up with the terrain, which is something I've pointed out since the first preview screenshots.

Also in a few places there are holes in the terrain tiles, which is quite bad.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also see we still have cars with british and EU licence plates in America for some reason...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I don't know why they can't make the level crossings actually be in level with the tracks.
    [​IMG]

But those few scenery issues aside, I think it's a great route so far, with the overall scenery being really good!

One thing I also noticed since the first preview stream is that the eye adaptation for some reason gets messed up in the cab, resulting in the outside being really bright and washed out. I mean look.
    In/near the cab:
    [​IMG]
    Away from the cab:
    [​IMG]
    I don't know why this is, as no other route or locomotive has this problem. But turning off eyeAdaptationQuality in the engine.ini solves it and the colors are back to normal in cab view as well.

Regarding sounds, I think they're good. A few things I noted are the constant wheel screeching as lower speeds. It's like my brakes are not fully released yet, but I'm pretty sure they are? And above 15MPH or so it disappears, but under it the train is constantly screeching like I'm dragging my brakes.
    The horn and bell sounds are great, but could be a louder.
    And also you can't hear the outside well enough with windows open. I had another train drive past me with windows open and I couldn't hear anything out of it. I don't know if it's a bug or not, because as you open the window, the outside gets loud for a fraction of a second, but then goes back to quiet again.

Regarding physics, it's fun to drive such long trains. I love that you actually have to wait like 10 minutes for the brakes to fully release, which means you have to be careful with braking as well. Though in a downhill the dynamic brakes didn't really do anything for me. The engines didn't get louder like they should when dynamic braking, and the train didn't slow down much at all, so I had to ride my train brakes in 15-20% all the time, which really isn't prototypical. Am I doing something wrong? I mean the dynamic brake switch was in cut-in position, but I didn't see any negative amps in the traction effort display.

• Like Like x 2
  25. chieflongshin

I think I read if you have the train brake on then the Amps won’t climb. Anyone please feel welcome to correct me. If you start by turning dynamic brake on and then introduce train or independent youll see which one cuts it out

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. jörgen Näslund

Yeah I see it to
    I use the dynamic brake "working" in same time i use the auto brake but then my dynamic brake disappearing (sd70)
    This must be a bug. I think in emergency brake the dynamic brake shall go away but not in normal braking.
    often you have a combination of auto brake and dynamics brake but it does not work in tsw2

27. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

If you are on dynamics and you apply the auto brake, you'll find your loco is getting brakes too - bail them off, as loco braking cancels out the dynamics and it turns the dynamics off. Just hold the loco/indy brake handle in "bail off" until the BC reads 0psi and you'll find the dynamics kick back in automatically. Need to do this each time you increase the auto brake as it will cause the loco brakes to increase and disable the dynamics.

• Helpful Helpful x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  28. Dinosbacsi

Ah, I see. That explains it then. Thanks for the help, Matt! Now hopefully my next run won't result in me going at 60 in a 45 zone with a 1.5 mile long train, lol

29. jörgen Näslund

Thanks Matt
    Have run Run8 much and it is not so there. But it seems that in this case you have better simulator than they have :)
    Overall is the psychics pretty good now in Sherman Hill.
    Have a hard time seeing any major errors now. But I have used the brakes so little so I cant say so much about that.

But but there is more stuff to do for Dovetail. See all info about all the dpu engines in lead engine. be able to control them
    Dpu engine dont seem to pump air in the train.

30. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

This route is so much fun to drive, even better then CRR for me and I love that route. Today while running the Something Old, Something New scenario had a slight hiccup after I had switched locomotives and started heading back out of Laramie I noticed that the bc was at 0.2 so, using my RailDriver I did a bail on the independent and the whole game froze for about 3 minutes then recovered on its own. After that had no problems and noted that going up track 3, my fps were slightly better than on the main route.

• Like Like x 1
  31. jörgen Näslund

Yes I very love this route to. Both route and the trains is so good.
    It the best route to buy if you love freight trains (American)
    For almost the first time it is difficult to run a train which it is in reality. Not uphill maybe but downhill is a challenge.
    120 wagons 12000 ton is an incredible amount of mass to be handled. I love this route. Thanks Dovetail

Have locked at what Matt wrote. Many loco have this Dynamic Brake Interlock (DBI)
    I dont know if SD70 have it (but it should it is a new engine)
    A device that will automatically keep the locomotive brakes from applying when the automatic brakes are applied during dynamic braking. The system is designed to keep from sliding the locomotive wheels or applying too much braking force on the head end

The Dynamic Brake Interlock (DBI) is used on units to release the independent brake (engine air brake) automatically whenever the engineer goes into Dynamic Braking. The wire is energized, magnet valve activated and the air is exhausted from the line that leads to the J-Relay valve which is the device that applies the air brakes on each unit. This exhausts and engine air brake application that is present due to the application of the automatic brakes (train brakes). The DBI does not prevent the engineer from using the independent brake to apply engine air brake pressure. As a backup in case the DBI isn't working properly on a given unit, the rules still require the engineer to actuate (bail off) the engine brakes when he/she makes an automatic air brake application. Bailing off exhausts the air in the same pipe as the DBI would exhaust however it does it at a different spot (Quick Release portion of the control valve).

• Like Like x 2
  32. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Nice bit of information there Jorgen, but doing that is probably a little beyond the current abilities of the programme as they have it set up. Just like having true DPU control is something they aspire to have but probably not within a year.

33. DTG Matt

I'm going to check with the team on DBI as well as the validity of it cutting the dynamics on MOnday - DBI should be fine for us to implement technically (time is another question of course but let me figure out if it's technically achievable first :) )

• Like Like x 8
  34. Dinosbacsi

Hey Matt, do you think the draw distance of rolling stock could be increased without much performance hit? The open fields of this route really show how low the draw distance is on the cars you are pulling behind you. You can't see your consist after a while and you can clearly see cars popping in and out.

I wonder how much of a performance impact it would have to increase it. I mean I would think 20-30 plus cars wouldn't be that much of a deal with their lowest LOD models, maybe? I don't know, but might be worth trying it out sometimes.

• Like Like x 2
  35. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    The more people reward this company for bad behaviour.
    The more they will continue with their bad behaviour.
    It's a very simple concept.

You can't "hope" a company does anything once they have YOUR money in THEIR pocket. :|

• Like Like x 1
  36. DTG Matt

Not sure. I can take a look but i'm not promising anything at all on that front because it'll have more impact than either of us expect, i'm sure :)

37. damarjatiaji

damarjatiaji Guest

As an American freight route & beefy diesel locos enthusiasts, my opinions are likely very biased. But overall I'm impressed by this route, it's just not a slow freight service.

Looking forward for NS' Horseshoe Curve route addon. I hope that route would bring the same excitement & impression as the UP SH addon.

38. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I have been enjoying the route after buying it today, but I am also going to echo concerns over dense grass eating performance in certain areas, especially towards Laramie, as well as the seating position in the SD70ACe being too high.

Oh, and I saw this too which made me chuckle.

[​IMG]

Cheers

• Like Like x 5
  39. chieflongshin

Is the quarry finished?

Screenshot (46).png Screenshot (47).png

• Like Like x 3
  40. SHINO BAZ

41. chieflongshin

42. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I haven't been there yet, but that looks really bad. Would benefit from a lot more detail, some assets and definitely a colour change.

Also the tracks definitely don't give the vibe like they're in a quarry, it's the same mainline asset the rest of the route has.

43. SHINO BAZ

I think matt might still be live streaming shermans hill right now on youtube maybe someone might be able ask him about this,if he's taking questions.

Yes he's still live streaming started 2 hours ago.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  44. Dinosbacsi

Eww... doesn't look like it, to be honest. Havn't got to drive there yet in-game myself, but judging by pictures, it looks nothing like a quarry. It would definitely need some better use of ground textures and more decoration.

For starters, the whole thing seems to look much grayer than the texture used in-game. And actual gravel (or granite, actually?) pile models should be used, not just small hills made with the terrain tools (or at least paint those small hills to look like actualy granite piles).
    [​IMG]

Now I understand why someone previously has said that it looks better even in the Train Simulator version. Clearly the ugliest part of the route, which is a big shame. Really not looking forward to drive there now...

• Like Like x 2
  45. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

What's the difference between the two SD70s and SD40s that can be chosen from when in timetable mode? Both models look identical and both models have the same services.

46. chieflongshin

ones weathered and one is not I believe

47. WaveyDavey

Nope, like I said they are both exactly same weathering wise.

48. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Not even close. The SD40-2 is a 50-year old design with 3000 DC horsepower; the SD70ACe is a 21st century engine with digital computer controls and 4500 AC horsepower.

49. WaveyDavey

lol

You do realise i mean the TWO SD70s and the TWO SD40s you can choose from don't you as that is what my question asked.

50. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

They have different horns.

Cheers