Sherman Hill Problem

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Jeannot41, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

Purchased without much conviction. After unsuccessful tests on chapter 1, scenario 4, Hermosa-triage of Cheyenne, where I was never able to get the convoy to leave, because the brakes were still blocked.
    I have been in all the other locomotives and each one had the brake lever on.
    Should we delete them all one by one?
    And no instructions for this route.
    Refund not made because played for more than 2 hours.
    If anyone has any schemes to move those damn convoys forward, I'm a taker.

Excuse my English. Google Translate

2. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

wa very good route i very like

3. November India Charlie

November India Charlie New Member

Hey Jeannot, had a similar issue, resolved by waiting a lot after releasing the Auto Brakes. If you have the Banking Comm on, just wait till the rear brake is at least at 75. It takes a few minutes, but after that I was able to leave the yard. Hope it will work for you too!

4. Jeannot41

I went up to 85 at least.
    I waited, waited, but I couldn't get this damn train to go.
    But is it normal that in other locomotives, the brake levers are tight?
    Anyway, thank you for the helping hand :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Other locos should have brake in handle off, brake setitng to cutout and the engines must be set to tail and engine run must be set to off

This holds for all locos directly connected to the lead engine. If you have engines at the rear, the first must be a lead engine, the others must be set to trail. In the first engine of the consist, you must set banking on. This all should be set properly for you already.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  6. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Have you completed both tutorials?
    I wait until rear is showing nearly 80, notch 2, banking comm on and it will get underway

have you pressed both brake settings in multi function display?

7. Jeannot41

Yes
    I did the tutorials, and I made both brake settings in the multifunction display.

8. chieflongshin

That’s bizarre, it’s not something I’ve experienced to be honest. I always think

press three switches
    Set brakes in mfd to “lead cut in”
    Release brakes to charge
    Turn on banking comm
    Put reverser in
    Notch 2 and independent brake on
    Wait 10 mins
    Release independent brake

Only other suggestion is pop a video up. Good luck

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Jeannot41

Activate banking communication?
    Which button is that?

It is only this scenario that I have a problem with.

10. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

Banking Comm ptt

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  11. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

The banking com is the box above the control stand, the switch to turn it on is the one to the right, by itself. Hover over it and see what it says, it is off by default. Again to reinforce what others have noted, wait until the air number in the 'rear' is over 75. this will take at least 5 minutes and maybe more. I fire up Microsoft Solitaire and play a game or two while waiting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jeannot41

OK thanks a lot

13. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Banking Comm needs to be turned on prior to putting the reverser into forward, otherwise the locos at the rear will remain with their reverser in neutral when you apply the throttle.

14. Jeannot41

Understood! I'm trying.
    Thank you

15. chieflongshin

Any joy? What service are you doing?

16. Jeannot41

Chapter 1, scenario 4, Hermosa-triage of Cheyenne

17. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

Jeannot41 it takes about 10 minutes to pump up the brake pipe from zero. This is prototypical. When your front of train has reached pressure, the back will still be pumping for ages. In the SD70ACE you can see this on the display with "rear" pressure which is a tiny number under the two big main pressure numbers. The SD40-2 has no way of showing it but there is a way, use the 3 camera to go to the back of the train (press 3 twice) and look in the window of the rear locomotive at the brake gauge there.

I talk you through the process in my hill start in the snow tutorial and I also talk about it in my editorial on the route

If you need more help after watching either or both of them give me a yell. Happy to help.

Paul

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. raretrack

raretrack Well-Known Member

My Windows doesn't seem to have Solitaire. I used to love that game (and Minesweeper)! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Microsoft have made those games downloadable (free) apps rather than bundling them into the Windows installation.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sharon E

You really need XBox Live on your PC and the Solitaire collection is then available.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Isn't there an EOTD box like on the CSX version?

22. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

Does anybody know why the F7 in CRR seems to be able to blow up the brake pipe of a whole train like a balloon in a couple of seconds, even after an emergency application and with the throttle idling?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  23. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

The worse issue is in the SWITHCRO scenario, at one end of the yard, the game is showing a red light, where there is no red light, and it makes you fail the game every time you try to move the wagon in place.

The red light is only showing when going into the 1000 mile place you use to change direction that you have to walk the 1000mile in both direction to change the switch side

24. solicitr

Does it? The only way to know would be to use the 3 camera and fly inside the caboose to read the brakeman's gauge.

25. tygerways#2596

Yes. Starting from 0 psi (front and rear) after an emergency application the pressure at the front seems to be back at 90 psi within seconds, at the rear it is back at 70 psi in less than a minute, then it slows down and takes like two to three more minutes tops until it is back at 90 psi. With selector in idle and throttle in idle.
    (at least this is what I got at e.g. CRR 94 Southbound Manifest.)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
  26. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I think its the brakes. They take a long time because its a really long train. Its good they have simulated this.

27. tygerways#2596

That's the thing. In the case of the F7, this happens super fast (in comparison), and I wonder why.

28. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

You mean with that engine in this route? This is the first route to have 100 car intermodal trains.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Shorter trains. And possibly worse simulation?

30. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Hi Paul,

If you want snow, you need to watch the outside temperature, if it is above zero, the snow will melt soon. I think only in January you will get snow. Thanks for your demo anyway, half an hour is reasonable for a tutorial.

31. paul.pavlinovich

You get snow in November, December, January and February on Sherman Hill. Snow level is selectable for those months in the service menu.
    upload_2021-11-29_20-32-48.png

Attached Files:

32. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

But if the temperatures are above 0 °C, then the snow will melt pretty much instantly.

33. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

They need to link the temperature system to the snow slider, so if you want snow it drops the temperature a few degrees to allow you to have snow. Simple enough to do. I think they use the average temperature for the region to set the temperature for the months but temperatures do drop below average in real life, it’s kind of how averages work. It’s currently pointless having a snow slider if it doesn’t give you snow.

• Like Like x 1
  34. Sharon E

To speak of CRR, I have also noted that the F7 brings the brakes up to where you can move the train very quickly, but the SD40, like SH, takes a very long time to pump up the train so you can get moving. Outside of the 2 different locomotives in CRR the trains they are pulling are similar so it has to be something with the physics of the F7.

• Like Like x 1
  35. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

I have had the same problem but I get the train pipe blown up to 89 yet it will not move. What is with the cascader system, there is no mention of that but I can't get the train to move as it is not running even though it is cut in along with everything else.

36. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

Make sure you have banking comm set to ON if you happen to have loco's at the rear

37. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

Is that fitted? I don't see any multiple working cables on the waggons, I assumed the loco at the back is for extra air to compensate for leaks along the length of the train.

38. solicitr

The locos at the rear are there to push! "Banking comm" abstracts Distributed Power, which on modern US locos means radio (not hardwire) remote control. If it's not turned on, the locos at the back are dead weight and you don't have enough horsepower to move the train.

• Like Like x 2
  39. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

Is the system actually controlling the rear loco via radio signals or is there a second driver in the banking loco receiving verbal instructions off the leading driver?

40. Sharon E

They are remote units without anyone in them. They respond to any changes you make to the controls in the cab of the loco you are in. This banker com is a way for DTG to simulate what an actual DPU device would accomplish since they have not gotten it sorted as to how to do this. Matt did post in an earlier thread that he would have some of his crew look into getting it done. Actual DPU is fairly complicated with it having the ability to 'slave' the DPU unit to the front loco's controls or setting up what is called "the fence" which then separates the DPU's from the front and the driver can then control them separately via the DPU controls.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. solicitr

The former is correct: controlling the rear loco(s) via radio signals. Although DTG have confused things a bit by using the same in-game abstraction, "banking comms," also to represent the way it used to be done (and with older locos still is), which indeed was a separate crew receiving verbal instructions over voice radio. So if for example you are running SD40-2's top-and-tail on Sand Patch Grade, that's what's being represented.

(In future, it would be nice if DTG could distinguish the two systems, and perhaps put an NPC engineer and conductor in the trailing MU of SD-40 consists)

42. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

How would the radio system work if there was interference from a passing train or loss of signal? Also does DPU refer to the loco on the back and how would the driver be able to control three power controllers at the same time?

43. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

It does happen sometimes when traveling through a busy yard or mountainous terrain. The radio signal may be lost temporarily, but is usually recovered quickly. Radio frequencies are chosen automatically from an available range to provide the best signal between the lead and trails so as to avoid interference. All DPU's would be on the same frequency at all times and the engineer can control the entire train from his lead cab. If radio contact is lost for more than a short time, I believe all trailing locos have a default throttle position ( 3 or 4? ). There are also hard wired versions of DP using the brake lines, but I'm not sure how widely they are used in North America. Cab cars often use some version of this wiring.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  44. solicitr

The driver only needs radio control of the lead loco in the DPU. It’s a unit; that is, all the rear locos are hardwired together just like the front locos, using the same MU protocol which has been around forever. In a real life DP setup, the driver can either have the DPU slaved to his own brakes and throttle, OR he can separate them off to control independently; this becomes necessary at those times, like cresting a summit, where you might want one MU pulling and the other braking

• Like Like x 1
  45. paul.pavlinovich

November -2.5C
    December -5.4C
    January -5.1C
    February -2.1C