Sherman Hill: Possible Performance Enhancement Tweak

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by HeyYoPaulie!, Nov 28, 2021.

1. HeyYoPaulie!

HeyYoPaulie! Well-Known Member

Update:

The ini command tweak was unsuccessful. Removing the original instruction to avoid confusion.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

If anything once I hit high grass areas it was actually worse by about 10 fps. I have removed it and will go back and run the same scenario again to see that it is without it. Let's get back to the engine.ini file when I did a search I actually found 5 of them so now I am wondering which is the one the game is using. My foliage.DitheredLOD= values vary from 5 to 7 in the ones that I have located. Several of them are in my One Drive others in regular documents. This has gotten confusing.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. damarjatiaji

damarjatiaji Guest

Gotta give it a try soon!

Potato specs laptop over here

4. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Don’t notice any difference

5. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I have to say, to get the biggest performance impact, go back to the default engine.ini file like DTG has been saying. Once I did this my fps doubled.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I've always stuck to the original engine.ini file. I know the authors of the various mods are very smart and know much more than I do. But with DTG's stated policy of making incremental changes to the core files with each new release, I fear that those files might get corrupted ( technical meaning ) if I mess with them. I don't really have any performance problems so I think I'll keep on doing what I do.

7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That shouldn't affect FPS at all. The parameter here represents time in seconds, not draw distance or detail level. It governs how long it takes distant foliage to "fade in", which makes pop-in far less noticeable.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Isn't 0 the default for this parameter anyway? If so this advice is only for people who have already entered this parameter and won't make any difference at all to anyone else's setup.

• Like Like x 1
  9. HeyYoPaulie!

Is 0 the default value? How did you verify that?

Hadn't touched this command previously and observe better performance with it set to zero. Others on Discord have shared the same experience.

10. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

From everything I've seen on the UE forums and also on a few posts within this forum the default is 0..... The number you enter is the amount of seconds it takes to fade/change from one foliage LOD to the next so =1 would be one second and =5 would be 5 seconds.

If the command isn't used or is set to 0 then there is no fade effect used which is what the game does by default and why you get very noticeable pop in and changes in tree detail as you approach them.

I take all the comparisons were done identically so same service, weather, location, camera angle etc.... That is the only way to compare as even just changing the camera angle very slightly can give higher or lower fps. (For example I've had a case where looking straight forward from the cab I get 25fps but spinning my view around just 20 degrees or so to the left or right and I get 35fps).

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
  11. HeyYoPaulie!

That's my understanding of how dithering works also.

I wondered if it was part of a combined set of parameters, eg. as part of the foliage quality setting, but sounds like it's not.

Useful to know it's already set as zero.

Must have been other factors at play - it's a tricky route to reliably / consistently test.

Thanks.

12. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

The only thing that helped me raise the performance on that route is reducing foliage quality from "ultra" to "medium" in the game's option menu.
    I think I read here in the forums the DEVs look into the performance issues at the time

13. sugondese

sugondese Member

I've got a rtx 69420 and it runs ok