X At Scenerio Stations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Dec 1, 2021.

1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I’ve noticed in a very few scenarios that occasionally after stopping at a station, I get an X in the task list rather than the expected tick.

I’m at a loss as to why this happens: I’ve tried approaching at varying speeds, brake settings, stopping at various points on the platform, but with no success.

Is there a bug in some scenarios that causes this then?

Of course I can just ignore it and drive on and complete the scenario, but the lack of a tick for completed scenario (which depends on all stations recorded as duly stopped at) just makes it harder to keep track of one’s I haven’t done

2. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

I realise you're no stranger to TS 20XX, but have you paid attention to the departure time as given in the F1 hud if you arrive and stop before the expected ETA? The red "stop line" may be completed and vanish, but you may have to wait a little longer until that departure time. I can't give you a specific, but I seem to remember having to do that.

3. inversnecky

Cheers, will have a look to see if there’s any correlation, but doubt it’s the full answer. One scenario the X appeared on the first station, a couple of minutes away, and I was dead on time: I got ticks at every subsequent station, even though I was pretty late at some. Will check that though, thanks.

4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Just a guess, did you forget to open or open your doors too early at the scenario starting station?

I'll not really be much help to be honest as I've turned scoring off and never pay heed to ticks, crosses or operational errors, I start the scenario, I enjoy the scenario, I finish the scenario, the arcade scoring and debrief is superfluous as far as I'm concerned as it bares no relevance upon my enjoyment of the sim.

Hope you figure it out for your enjoyment fulfilment though. :)

5. USRailFan

USRailFan Active Member

Some scenario writers obviously never test their scenarios, they just set some timings, bundle it up and upload, never realizing that the timings are completely impossible to maintain. Then there's also the thing with standard scenarios that the objectives "fail" if you're one freaking second late stopping or leaving.

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I've had this a few times. I tend not to care about whether I get a tick, or a cross. Just enjoy driving the scenario.

• Like Like x 1
  7. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Might not be obvious but it sometimes is a matter of good scenario writing. I'll explain.

The default time for a StopAtDestination instruction is 20 seconds. This means your train is not allowed to move within that time or you'll get an X. This can be a problem when stopping on grades because of the coupler slack. Sometimes the back of the train runs into the loco and pushes it a little, or pulls it back when stopping uphill.

A good thing is to set the stopping time to zero. The red bar will also take 20 seconds to vanish (running up quickly then stalling for 20 secs), but only the moment you stop is calculated for success of the instruction. Good scenario creators know this.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. inversnecky

Thanks for the reply. It's not been an issue on inclines, and I struggle to see any common thread. I'll take a note of the next time it occurs and post the scenario to see if others notice it too.

Pookey, the only annoyance for me is that with an X, the scenario isn't marked as complete, so it's harder to see which ones you have done or not.