Timetable. Is Brake "handle Off" In Beginning Realistic

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jörgen Näslund, Dec 1, 2021.

1. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

When you now get the train, another driver has driven it there.
    Often the train has driven thousands of kilometers
    Does the leaving train driver leave the train brake in the handle off?. I do not think so.
    then the pressure goes down to 0 psi

The new train driver wants to drive away as soon as possible.
    I think he/she lowers the pressure by 6-10 psi auto brake.
    And then the new train driver can drive away fairly soon when he has entered the locomotive

Had tsw done this, it would have been much faster to accelerate with the train.

Found this. Then in this case it should be used (and trailing units)
    Inbound Train Inspection
    Where Special Instructions dictate, prepare train for inbound inspection as follows:
    1. Secure cars with sufficient hand brakes as required.
    2. Place the automatic brake valve handle in the HANDLE OFF/CONT SVC position, to
    reduce brake pipe to near 0 psi.
    3. When the brake pipe reduction is complete and the air has stopped exhausting, close
    the angle LOVE on the locomotive or on the cars that will be detached with the locomotive.15

• Like Like x 1
  2. jörgen Näslund

I know Matt sad in a stream. that it is made that another driver hands over the train to you
    then there are a lot of errors in charging times and the like.
    will address these in separate emails later. is testing now.
    But some I can address now. It it should not take 10-18 minutes to release the brakes even from 0 Psi.
    Have compare to Run8. big difference (3:30 same train there from emergency 0 psi)

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  3. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

I've thought about this too, cause I have no idea what real life procedure is. My feeling is that you would almost never receive a train with it's air dumped unless you just assembled it in a yard. Modern locos typically monitor the air in the system and will start up automatically if it drops too low while the train is just sitting. I'm also pretty sure that if a train sits too long with no air, the brakes eventually release.

I'd love to see some randomization in this regard when you start a service, so maybe you start full service, maybe just a min. set, if your in a yard air dumped, etc.
    What I've noticed is it takes about 15-20 minutes to charge the front to about 88psi, and the back to 64psi (full service equivalent), and then an additional 45 minutes to an hour to charge the remaining way to 90 at the rear, so in total it's over an hour if you want full brakes on the entire train. I have no problem with the realism of charging brake pipes, but if I'm being honest from a game play perspective that sucks for every...single...service.

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Which is where we really need the ability to accelerate time in game.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. jörgen Näslund

yes If the train is assembled it in a yard then you have no brake in wagons.
    This due to Auxiliary reservoirs even have 0 psi now
    so you can just drive with the train , but you don't have any auto brake at all before you charge the train
    So every Auxiliary reservoirs must have 86-90 psi before the train can brake good

But now the trains have brake in beginning so Auxiliary reservoirs must have 64 psi as it happens when you apply the emergency brake or Handle Off
    Info brake

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The difference in timings of services when AI rums them and the player can be a bit of an issue. The timings in Clinchfield were off by a mile and the startup wasn’t particularly long on those trains. I don’t have Sherman Hill yet but I suspect the AI trains are leaving much earlier with a bigger time difference than any other route so far. Are AI services starting with brakes ready like they do in other routes?

7. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

So I just tested this, I popped into a service then gave up control. The AI just take control and go, as the train started moving you could hear the squeal of the brakes dragging. I think that fades away after a bit but its definitely there at first. I don't think the brake gauges update on an AI train so it's hard to see what's actually going on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

AI trains definitely use a very simplified physics model.