Sherman Hill Fps Maximization

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by JustWentSouth, Dec 1, 2021.

1. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I bought a pretty beefy PC 2 ½ years ago – which likely delayed when I can retire! I got a Dell Alien with the following specs:
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 TI OC with 11GB GDDR6
    Intel Core i9 9900k (8-Core/16-Thread, 16MB Cache, Overclocked up to 4.7 GHz across all cores)
    32 GB DDR4 at 2666MHz Dual Channel.
    1 TB M.2 PCle NVMe SSD

I use this PC solely for TS and TSW. My day to day computer is a Mac and I am not very computer literate. Up until Sherman Hill, I have never really had any performance issues on TSW2 other than some stuttering on DRA and loud periodic fan noise. I run Ultra settings and 150% screen percentage. I limit frame rate to 50 FPS and have VSync off. My monitor is 60hz and I am running native resolution at 1920 x 1080. I like TAA anti-alias.

I am on Windows 10. All drivers and software are up to date as far as I know; I regularly run Dell's maintenance software.

With all engine.ini mods removed, and all .pak mods and liveries removed, I loaded the 10:43 intermodal service from Hermosa to Cheyenne yard in November with all the weather sliders on the left. When I jump from the cab to the 8 cam, the route looks gorgeous, but my FPS is about 17. During the run it gets worse and drops into single digits, but I will just compare FPS changes with the initial default 8 camera view at the start of the service.

I remained stuck on 17 fps despite running the Foliage quality slider from ultra to high to med to low with no change.
    No change likewise moving the sliders on Shadow Quality, Effects Quality, Post Process Quality, View Distance Quality, and Texture Quality.

The only FPS bump I could get was with decreasing my screen percentage. At 100%, I got 18-19 fps.

I tried DX12 and that was similar to worse.

When I check out my computer performance, my CPU is only at 11%, but my graphics card is maxed out at 98-100%.

What are other people getting at this location? Shy of getting a new GPU, is there anything else I can try?

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. damarjatiaji

damarjatiaji Guest

Holly gees! With those specs you only getting 17 fps? Are you kidding me?

My laptop specs are Ryzen 5 3550H 3.7GHz, GTX 1050 3GB, 16 GB of RAM and installed the TSW on the SSD.
    I achieved 30 fps on mainline, but at some point like on the area around Hermiosa and around the yard (Laramie and Cheyenne) my fps drops to about 17 fps.
    I set the graphic to Ultra except for the Foliage Quality which i set to Medium. Screen percentage on 100%, resolution on 1920x1080.

• Like Like x 1
  3. metro north railfan 224

metro north railfan 224 Active Member

You should probably set the foliage quality to the lowest setting. And if you ask me I think it looks beautiful especially with snow cover yes you may be sacrificing some quality but if there’s snow then it’ll actually look much more realistic.

• Like Like x 2
  4. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

The common workaround at the minute is to drop your foliage slider down to medium or even low if you prefer.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JustWentSouth

Thanks for the replies.

When I adjusted the foliage slider, I didn’t see a change in frame rate at that specific location. When I get home, I will make the adjustment and try the run and see if it’s different.

Just out of curiosity, what are you getting when you launch that 10:43 Hermosa to Cheyenne service and, without moving, open up the number 8 cam. I was stuck on 17 FPS no matter where my foliage slider was.

6. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

R7 5800x @ 4.8ghz, 32GB DDR4, 3060 TI, 1080p on ultra on 170% - getting solid 60fps everywhere, but here it drops to 23fps and stays and stays locked. Neverseen so low FPS as Sherman. Something is hogging GPU, because it gets to 100% utilization.

Unreal engine 4 + TSW 2 is a nightmare combination perfomance wise.

• Like Like x 3
  7. JustWentSouth

Thank you for that reply. It is exactly what I am experiencing. I’m glad to know that it is not an issue with my PC. Hoperfully, a performance patch will come soon.

In the meantime, I will enjoy the SD70 ACe on Sherman with low frame rates. I might also take it for a spin on SPG; nice locomotive and I love the horn.

• Like Like x 2
  8. damarjatiaji

damarjatiaji Guest

Definitely something wrong with SMH, because on the other route, i easily maintain 40 to 50 fps even in the railroad yard. Let's hope a performance fix will come soon.

9. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

There's no rhyme or reason for these disparities. It seems to be entirely serendipitous.
    I have I7-6700, GTX 1070 6GB, 64GB Ram and a pretty fast SSD, running at 4k 60 Hz. Everything is on Ultra or High. No engine ini mods. I average 40-50 fps for all routes, including Sherman Hill and virtually no stuttering.
    Go figure!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  10. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

If you use DX 12, add this line to your ini:

r.FinishCurrentFrame=0

In earlier "versions" of the game, you got high framerates with DX12 but sometimes you got headlight flickering. This ini command back then was set to 0 but now is set to 1 by default. Short explanation what this command does:

If on (set to 1), the current frame will be forced to finish and render to the screen instead of being buffered. This will improve latency, but slow down overall performance.

This resolved the headlightflickering for the cost of 10-20 fps. With the latest game version, this is set to on by default in DX 12 so shutting that off by adding the og line adds quite the performance boost in terms of FPS. And I for myself didnt experience headlight flickering.

• Like Like x 1
  11. damarjatiaji

damarjatiaji Guest

Gotta give it a try, let's see if my fps gain any improvement

12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

This is going to sound crazy, but it really happens: it was true with my (then) hotrod gaming computer out of the box, and I couldn't understand why Forza was running like a slideshow: the factory settings were left defaulted to the onboard graphics chipset; my fancy Nvidia card was being bypassed! Check your system setup.

13. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

It's the grass, that's for sure. One or some of the types used on the route have a much larger render distance than the usual grass types used on other routes. You can see them still rendering on pretty distant hills. And lots of grass can take a hit on your FPS very easily.

Hopefully they optimize it somewhat and either make the grass asset itself less performance heavy or simply reduce the draw distance on those grass types.

At first I thought the long trains may also contribute to the problem, but the framerate is pretty bad even when running with a few locomotives without any consist behind them.

• Like Like x 3
  14. damarjatiaji

damarjatiaji Guest

Yeah at first i thought the 100 freight car causes the low frame rate cases, but i don't think that's the problem.

15. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Similar story as OP.
    New PC months ago w a mediocre ryzen3700x oc'd at 4.4 (stock as well bares no change)
    16gb DDR4
    1tb and 500mb pci-e nvme ssd
    Radeon rx6700xt 12gb vram
    Everything updated and working as should on all other games

Prior to SH i got close to my locked 60fps and 30 in heavy areas (Dresden etc)

The draw distances are massive in Wyoming, likely the absolute culprit. Nothing else in tsw is that wide. The 3d grass rendering as well has to suck the performance right out.

"If" dtg were attempting to fix this maybe add 2D grass/shrub like on Dresden maybe say 100ft off the trackside. Worked on Dresden...

I dont think the trains are much of the issue. Yes the simugraph is doing its thing but it has no effect on my PC if im running the console 8 mod or not

This could be a great, better than good addon were the performance optimized

• Like Like x 3
  16. sugondese

sugondese Member

I usually average 68787 FPS with my rtx 57843 graphics card