Us Playerbase On The Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Challenger3985, Nov 1, 2021.

1. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Alright, what happened to the US players on the forum? Seems like nowadays when a new US route appeared for TSW, it's either "I want more passengers" or "I preferred passengers over freight" or just anything negative when the first screenshot hits (I know people have opinions, including me, but this is getting overwhelming now). And recently, there hasn't been much talk of US/NA content over the other big "two" countries (the way DTG has been developing content lately). And this may be a ridiculous question, but at this point, honestly, it seems like the current community in here is trying to push away the US routes that aren't passenger-related and rather wanted to see more with the UK and German routes and locos that are more in the modern day and age. And that really disappoints me a lot.
    (this is something just to get out of my mind before the next roadmap)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Being Canadian I would love to see more than just the one route in TSW, but I am looking forward to the two new US routes coming. For me Freight or Passenger I enjoy running both.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Could just be that there’s a lack of US players on this forum, or that generally people here prefer passenger action.

Either way, the community on this forum probably doesn’t even represent a quarter of the playerbase for TSW 2, US freight clearly sells because they’re pushing another 2 DLC’s dedicated to it.

Personally I think the fact that almost all of the NA routes for TSW 2 being freight has left at least me wanting some US passenger action, there really isn’t much to explore apart from the dated TSW 2020 DLC’s which have their own issues, but even then we don’t have a lot of varied rolling stock for US passenger workings, even the latest TSW 2 passenger route gave us 2 locos we have already had.

US freight really doesn’t do much for me personally, they’re usually slow routes with more often than not, reused locos.

• Like Like x 1
  4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Regarding US passenger traffic, keep in mind that a great deal of the US has not seen any of this for many decades (blame the interstate highway system), except in the form of short lines connecting the urban with suburban communities.
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps nostalgia for passenger railroad travel drives US train simmers to clamor for passenger routes? As I've many times stated in these forums, my preference is for switching operations (some of which involve moving passenger coaches and engines about). This derives from my inability to drive a passenger route effectively and boredom with long-haul freight runs.

5. Challenger3985

Well, yes, switching is a different job to sort than long hauls or commuters (but, it's still your preference). But, what I'm talking about is more of both passenger and freight as a whole (long-distance/local/switching). And while I'm glad Sherman Hill and Horseshoe Curve are being developed, but it still feels like the US isn't getting that much attention than other countries, since TSW2 started during the pandemic (and yes, I'm putting that in).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I just can't find any motivation to crawl along Sand Patch for hours on end, or do switching activities in a miles-long yard that has me travelling back and forth at 10mph. The only US routes I really touch are LIRR and Penn Corridor - I have no real interest in Clinchfield, Cane Creek or either of the new ones for that reason. Even Boston kills me when I have to do the tedious 5mph loop at the end!

While I obviously don't speak for the community as a whole, I'd definitely push them away in favour of modern UK routes. It's a shame because I quite like driving some of the US trains, but without being able to get up some speed, I feel like they're sapping the life out of me!

Yeah. I think the freight fans are being pretty well catered for with the two US routes on the roadmap, but I guess there's never enough of the thing you like the most.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I started talking ( some would say whining ) about this a year ago. North America has been short changed from the very beginning of TSW2, especially in comparison with TS Classic and even TSW 2018. And don't talk to me about pandemics, I just don't buy it. DTG has been making NA routes and locos for TS for over a decade, pretty much non-stop. Have 3rd parties been a big part of that output? Yes, but DTG also have the experience, the contacts and the data to build American routes and locos themselves. And, for the most part, they haven't. We just had Boston, the first NA passenger route in living memory. Who knows when the next one will be? SH and HSC are Sand Patch with new clothes ( albeit much of it hand me down ) and HSC is probably most of a year away anyway, judging by the inordinate length of Cane Creek's development time. Plus it's set in the wrong era for any hope of future passenger dlc. So, for a new NA passenger route, we're probably looking at Q1 or Q2 of 2023, if we're lucky, that is. So NA fans who want fresh content are stuck with TS for now, except for aging dinosaurian diehards like me, who just enjoy trains from wherever.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  8. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

UK trains and routes are simply more interesting and a lot easier to understand whether retro or modern.

9. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I feel like most of DTGs US freight routes still leave alot to be desired, especially when compared to what we get with TS1, not to mention the horrible issues with licensing especially with BNSF and most commuter rail lines pretty much kills a good chunk of good interesting routes that could be made for TSW2 (Like the Pacific Surfliner)

Not to mention the current crop of routes could of been better.....

Clinchfield is decently good, but wish dispatching was a bit more realistic (Especially with the sidings) Also disappointed that we didn't get alternative liveries for the F7a and SD40, not to mention custom liveries dont appear on rolling stock in timetable mode. There was also that one useless scenario where we took a train apart and put it back together in the same order in Dante....

Also still waiting for a loco DLC.....

Sandpatch is pretty much mostly A-B mainline runs, with not much else going on, the yard work is meh, and not much else to do. Also the unfamiliarity of the area makes the route boring for me to look at (Unless we got something like Tehachapi, where I'm more familiar with the area)

Cane Creek was a nice visually, but executed horribly gameplay wise, Skyhook still should of included more of the mainline for higher speed freight runs between Green River and Thompson Springs to break up the slow branch line runs, not to mention the other issues with the route that have been talked to death already.....

Peninsula Corridor could of had more local freight jobs, but didn't.....

Oakville? Ugh.....

Sherman Hill could be promising if DTG can deliver the route properly, since the area has decent track speed, some local industries for local fright work, 3 track mainline, and two yards to play in. Top it off with a GOOD UP SD70ACe (Bonus points if we get Heritage Units) and an SD40-2 (SD40N) that fixes the issues with Skyhooks version. Only downside with Sherman Hill is the scenery is mostly midwest plains with nothing to look at but grass, snow fences, and some rocks.....

Not much hope for HSC ATM due to Skyhooks poor release of Cane Creek.....

Also still hoping for a pre-1971 mixed route with Passenger and Freight.....

• Like Like x 5
  10. Challenger3985

No doubt US freight hasn't been at its true potential since TSW began, and many of these routes so far while being up to par with DTG standards (more or less), doesn't feel that much active or as lively compare to real life unlike passengers (or close to one that is). Not to mention that while some routes do have freight on passenger routes, there aren't that many services to drive on for freight than commuters (or high-speed), and while some have been used to fill in as scenery, so yards and sidings don't look very much empty if included.

• Like Like x 2
  11. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

The problem is that there is just too much US/UK/GER content. I can't understand how one would say there is not enough US content. There are 195 countries in the world. Probably 6 of them are represented in TSW. One could even argue why there is so much US content. When I think about trains I don't think about the US. When I play US routes I also understand why I don't think of trains when thinking about the US. If it would be steam trains I would probably first think about the US :D

12. 43050

43050 Well-Known Member

I am very interested in US freight and would love to see more short trip workings on busier routes rather than long single line drags at slow speed. I know to get the scenic factor it would have to be like that as the busier areas for freight are usually near large towns and cities.

13. Blartthaniel42

Blartthaniel42 Well-Known Member

For me personally, I just go through phases. Up until recently, I've been playing a lot of U.S. routes. But recently I've been getting into British trains with the release of the new West Cornwall Local route (I personally like the 1990 of British rail). For me, I just feel that the US trains are just lacking locomotive and rolling stock variety, and how empty the yards and such feel. Also the length of trains are rather small due to game limitations. I personally think that TS20XX offers a better simulation for US train sizes and variety.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

I'm a US player who's still pretty new to TSW and hasn't done a lot yet. I had meant to do a broad sampling of the game by now on my PS4 in deciding whether to get the PC version, but instead I've found myself enjoying Sand Patch so much that I've finished all the journeys and scenarios and about half of the services. Turns out that a two-hour freight run before bed is a nice way to relax. (I did do some East Coastway as well before getting hooked on Sand Patch and enjoyed that.) I already have Peninsula Corridor and will try it out after the imminent Preservation Crew update, but this has definitely put Clinchfield on my radar and made me curious about running freight in other countries.

15. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

This is an excellent example of the kind of post that makes me wish, not for the old "thumbs-down" quick response option, but for a simpler set of possibilities, such as "agree" and "disagree" combined with a "useless" to go with the current "useful".

16. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

Nah man. We need a route with the perfect balance of both

17. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

In my case, I like both passenger and freight trains and US and European ones!.
    But the fact is about what DTG provides to us for entertainment....
    Any of them can be boring, challenging or really enjoyable.

I mean a passenger timetable, if is is just stop on lot of stations and that's all, finally you get boring
    A freight train, if it is only going from point A to B, it is also boring too.

So the big issue here is create "entreating timetables
    Then quality first, and over quantity!

I mean we can have 100 timetables, but if most of them are the same, and the only change is the departing time,... that is boring.
    They can program 1000 timetables of that kind, and it will be the same.
    So the "key" here is to provide more different drives, with different situations.
    Most of the proposed Scenarios are of that king. But they are only around 5 on each route.

Furthermore I tried to create with Scenario Planner, new and more enjoyable ones, but this tool it has lot of limitations.
    Hope the new 2.0 version they are working on, can allows us to create that desired kind of train driving.

Just an idea,.. DTG might create a specific "Timetable team" or something like that, to create that kind of driving.

Even they could launch a route with 50 timetables - instead on 100 - and some weeks later we can get -as an update - the new extra ones created by that team, with more interesting driving situations.

This is just an idea.
    Hope be useful

18. steamfan#1309

If they could make another one like the okvile sub. it would be an almost perfect route hitting everything for an American route.

19. steamfan#1309

Note: not every line show.
    There is a line running from Charleston, SC to Georgetown, SC that is missing.

20. mattk#4569

mattk#4569 Active Member

I mean that’s your opinion I find it over hyped the horns sound very lame sure they go faster or whatever but it’s dumb America is like blue balled out of every topic for discussion like it’s not hard to make a U.S. passenger route that is scenic filled will everything you could ask for people think UK routes are more better looking like y’all never seen Amtraks Empire Service or the trains you could take from Chicago out west even like the Auto train they have my god it’s not hard to find good routes right infront of your face and to tell you the truth a lot of U.S. passenger routes were electrified back then the only reason they got rid of it was because of the car they wanted to capitalize on but yet we all have to deal with the traffic problem smh DTG is sucking off DB every chance they get my god Im f-ing tired of the Euro routes I don’t
    Have tea and biscuits everyday I’m sorry plus another thing it’s always gloomy over in Europe area hell no I need some sun here but all jokes aside man there’s probably no one but me and a couple people that play this game in the U.S. thank god another team is creating a train sim game in beta because I swear I almost done with DTG at this point

21. mariner86

mariner86 Active Member

All they need to do is have an Amtrak P42, viewliners, superliners, diners and baggage, and the majority of the American long distance routes could have a passenger consist. You could add the Pennsylvanian on Horseshoe curve and the Capitol Limited on Sand Patch. This would also come with operating at passenger speed vice freight. Heck they could make UP1943 and the Office car special and it could run on Sherman Hill and Horseshoe curve that consist has been around the curve before. With as die hard as most American model railroaders typically are about Amtrak I’m sure a long distance consist for the game would be well recieved. I personally don’t like the commuter routes I enjoy running long haul freights with diesel locomotives much more than operating electric locomotives. I pick up most routes and enjoy most of them my preference is for the American routes. I’m happy to see the developers putting some time towards them and listening to some of the feedback. Improving the horns and sounds will go a long way the GE sounds have always been very bad as well as the SPG horns. Please fix the horn for the Clinchfield SD40 It drives me crazy not to hear the proper sound for the horn modeled. It did seem the American locomotives in particular had been a bit neglected in attention to detail. Just a random thought but DTG should travel to a few train shows in the US, or visit some tourist railroads or museums. It would give them a better picture of the rail fan scene here in the US.

• Like Like x 1
  22. mattk#4569

mattk#4569 Active Member

Exactly man you get it they just never get the horns right or the sounds of the locomotives sometimes ESPECIALLY the AC4400CW my god they fucked that engine all to hell especially the horn too not every locomotive has the same horn my god I liked the bell on the 4400 but come on the engine doesn’t sound like a PS4 starting up they can literally look up on video of it and find out how the GE’s have a hug sound to them or like a super charged whine almost plus yeah I like Amtrak even tho they basically used to be the PRR but thank the government for that one lmao but I like Amtraks long trips and especially the scenic ones along the coast or even the Auto Train plus Ik you said you’re not a fan of the electric locomotives I get that I’ll always love the diesels more like the SD70ACE or SD40s man I love them even GP40s SD60s Dash-9s Dash-8s the list could go on but yeah idk DTG needs to get better U.S. passenger routes Boston Sprinter was cool but I wanna go from NY to Philadelphia smh something good hell it would’ve been cool to have some spur lines switching for grain companies and stuff like that yk what I mean but that’s enough of my rant for the day

It’s not that hard DTG you could’ve flew over here and did some recordings smh

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
  23. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

They did have a planned recording session with the Union Pacific at Little Rock before Covid-19.

• Like Like x 1
  24. mattk#4569

mattk#4569 Active Member

Even with covid they can still fly over here maybe quarantine it might take a while but still I don’t get the excuses if you ask me

25. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It was UP which canceled it, not travel restrictions.

• Like Like x 1
  26. mattk#4569

mattk#4569 Active Member

They said yeah nah

27. steamfan#1309

So create a thread for the fan base (us) to help. I mean isn't it made by railfans for railfans.