Fife Circle Line : Fife - Edinburgh

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Coastway trainspotter, Dec 4, 2021.

1. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

All credit goes to ZeenozPlays for the thread script and the suggestion video , link here :

The Fife Circle Line is a famous rail line in the U.K. known for its interesting scenery, the number of operators that run along parts of it, and more. Today, I’ll be talking about why I want it in TSW 2.

Route Information

The Fife Circle Line is a 50 Mile long Service operated by Scotrail, linking multiple coastal towns between Fife and Edinburgh. The route includes some notable landmarks, like the easily recognizable Forth Rail Bridge. Despite its name, it actually isn’t a full Circle Route, with trains running point to point services, and having to terminate at Edinburgh. Some services, however, go around the whole line, from Edinburgh back to Edinburgh, similar to what can be seen on the Glasgow Cathcart Circle Line.

The Eastern Section of the Fife Circle Line actually includes a bit of the East Coast Main Line, so services from multiple operators are definitely possible with this route, but, more on that later. Now, with that being said, I think the route could be even bigger, than just including the Fife Circle. I think it could go as far as Dundee. This would add another 28 and a half miles to the route with 6 more stations, and while that does bring the overall route length to almost 78 Miles, with 25 stations, I think it could definitely be done, given that the extra 28 Miles up to Dundee, is mostly just countryside, with the exception of the nearly 3 Mile long Tay Bridge Crossing. This additional length would allow for more services and a larger variety of operators.

Services

Now, I did mention before, that the Fife Circle Line service is run by Scotrail, however, the portions that are shared with the East Coast Main Line, have other operators, with those operators being CrossCountry, and LNER, and Caledonian Sleeper, with some Scotrail services running up the East Coast Main Line to Dundee as well . However , I think it is unlikely that all those operating companies would be included in the route

I would like to mention though, that I will not be talking about Caledonian Sleeper.

This would allow for a lot of variety in services, rolling stock, and the number of different Train Operating Companies the player would see. Unfortunately, I don't have a list of the possible number of services, but I’m sure it would be a good amount, with the number of train operators this route would see.

With all of the Train Operating Companies I mentioned earlier, you can be sure that there would be a large number of Rolling Stock available for players to drive.

Starting with Scotrail, players would see the Class 158 and 170, with the possibility of a Class 43 HST, although, I’m not too sure if Scotrail runs these along the line, with the only possible piece of evidence that they do, being Wikipedia's listing of it running on the Edinburgh - Aberdeen service.

The Class 158 would be the second Sprinter unit to come to the game, with the first being the Class 150 on the West Cornwall Local Route. If made for this route, the Class 158’s could actually have some revisions done to it, and put on the West Cornwall Local route for a greater variety of rolling stock. The 158 could possibly also be used as AI out of Brighton , along the west Coastway .

The Class 170, part of Bombardier’s Turbostar series of trains, would be the first of its kind in TSW. These units are basically the Diesel variants of the Electrostars, with them being most similar to the Class 357’s, which I actually talked about in my previous suggestion video, for c2c.

The Class 43 HST, already featured on the GWR , could be layered on to owners of that dlc .

***CrossCountry***

CrossCountry would operate 3 different types of rolling stock along this route, with those being the Class 43… again, along with the Class 220 and 221.

The Class 220 and 221, also known as the Voyager and Super Voyager respectively, are two very similar diesel trains, able to reach a top speed of 125 Miles per hour. They were originally constructed to replace the Intercity 125 units. Both units are very similar to each other, however, there are two key differences between the units, with those being that unlike the Class 220, the Class 221 has tilting technology to allow the trains to maintain a higher speed on curved tracks, along with most units having 5 cars.

For LNER, or the London North Eastern Railway, we have only one type of train, the Class 800’s. These trains, also known as Azuma’s are the only bi-mode trains LNER operates, meaning these are the only trains that they could realistically operate along this route. These are the same infamous trains that were criticized for their uncomfortable seating, and problems with their body shells.

I would like to also mention the presence of Lumo Trains and Avanti West Coast at Edinburgh Waverley, however, for their short stint on the route, I doubt DTG would want to create any of the rolling stock associated with them.

I think this would be a really cool route to have in TSW 2. It’s based in the North of the U.K., which is a setting that hasn’t been explored much in the game, while also incorporating some much requested Diesel Action, moving away from the Southern Region’s third rail power , and also providing some new UK rolling stock , something we haven’t seen since the Cathcart circle was released

Lastly , some photos of the rolling stock that should be included in this route :

The LNER class 800 :
    9A95366A-89FC-4C1F-BC5B-BBF1AE62094F.jpeg

The Crosscountry class 221 :
    CF9C65FD-27D7-4D55-8CC2-0AC0CA3F1309.jpeg
    The Scotrail class 158 :
    73958F0A-06B4-4E31-8A36-F081081FD487.jpeg
    The crosscountry class 221 :
    1844A0AE-F457-482F-BE06-E3A5CCAD6B04.jpeg
    And finally , the scotrail class 170
    6A4DC5FA-250B-435B-AFF0-F8291FE5E2EE.jpeg
    Thanks for reading this suggestion , please share your thoughts below !

• Like Like x 12
  2. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Tom Connell loading screen drawing will be Class 800 on the Forth Bridge. For Scotrail HSTs can be DLC including 43145 43129 paint

3. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Great Suggestion saltychipz#3569, does the line Justice. It's a perfect wee line for Scotland, and has plenty on the side of variety, with Circular services, intercity to Edinburgh, and locals.

As for the rolling stock, I think the Inter7City HST should be included - they could just give it the upgrades the real ones got, having come from GWR.

However, other than that, great suggestion :)

To repeat what I said to you in another thread:

• Like Like x 3
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

That's the only special paint I know for Scotrail HST and I'm wondering what are the other special paint for the ScotRail HST. Rather than mentioning 43129 43145 Paint Job from the video produced by Scotrail themselves

• Like Like x 1
  5. trainsimplayer

I know ScotRail have them. I'm Scottish and I have to use Scotrail now and again. Hence my mission to get Scotland fully suggested for TSW.

The ScotRail HST does not have any "special paints", although it could be argued that the Inter7City livery itself is a "special" one, breaking the norm of the ScotRail Saltire.

Other than that, a Class 334 unit holds the #PrideOfScotRail livery, and the Class 385s have "ScotRail eXpress" branding (the X being a dotted saltire), and 170414 formerly held the Borders Railway livery, however as far as I'm aware, that's gone. There have been others in the past but they're gone now, as far as I'm aware.

Again, regardless of anything, the mask livery won't happen.

However, on a positive note, the Class 800 holds a livery called 'Celebrating Scotland', on unit 800104. 49253945517_b4c3cda7c8_b.jpg
    (P.S. yes, i can see the copyright watermark in that image)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

This honestly should've been the first Scottish route in tsw2. Cathcart circle isn't bad, but the route does have a bit of a dead feeling when doing certain services

• Like Like x 1
  7. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Bonus: Class 68 with MK2's, it appears in TS2022 version of this route.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I had thought Scotrail didn't operate Class 68's anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  9. trainsimplayer

They don't. Got rid of them last year because the Mk2s weren't PRM-TSW compliant.

10. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

As this is a Scottish route it will be getting my full support especially as it is one of my favourite routes :) In my opinion it should come with the Class 68's and Mk2 coaches as I don't think these would ever come as a separate add-on and would provide the base for many more Class 68's and even the 88's in game :) I would also love to see this route extend as far as Dundee as this would give it an even greater feeling of a complete network rather than just A-B :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Anything Scottish is good... providing we later get a heritage layer which adds loco hauled trains (Class 37/40/47 already in game, need a 26 and 27) for us old fossils.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bdlhouston#8691

bdlhouston#8691 Well-Known Member

They did get rid of the 68s, but they could go for an era involving the class 67, also with mk2s or mk3s

• Like Like x 2