Workshop Wednesday Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

Thanks guys, the pre 1970 WW streams are my favourite.

I've just been driving the Class 419 MLV BEMU again but read the manual this time around and noticed various mail bag loading and unloading options.

It might be fun to do a scenario which makes use of this and also the battery power.

2. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

You know what I'd like to see? Jamie, YOU build something. :) While I'd love to see the likes of Railfan, greendragon32, Not.Silent, and other prolific builders shown off (all currently active, and I know Railfan put out four on August 20 alone as I looked that day at the eight most recent), I think a neat Workshop bonus would be scenario making with chat input on what to do and what to include, where to drive, etc.

You mean something like this? https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1714211913 Became inactive after November 2019, but not a bad idea to show one there.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  3. dergamer8

dergamer8 New Member

4. steve.cunningham1980

steve.cunningham1980 Member

There were some really unpleasantly toxic comments on the Facebook post regarding this stream (well, Facebook in general tbh). I hope DTG realise that many of us do appreciate the work that is still going in to Train Sim all these years later.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Cyclone

Are you talking about the 2022 preview stream?

6. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Jamie I know you are busy but could you and if not get someone to update your thread “Workshop Wednesday Routes and Scenarios” last update June 17th, now over three months. Many people like me like to look back to a particular stream and replay it so would you please keep it up to date.

Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Cyclone

Noticed no WS Wednesday this week. Not liking all TSW in the agenda. Let’s bring this back. How about an Oxenholme to Windermere scenario?

Route: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=386284902

Scenario options: Tractor to the Rescue (a rescue mission to Windermere and back to Carnforth) or a “Christmas Shopping” scenario. Or a two part Red Rose Kipper pairing. Or a couple others. All by Nick Hudson, who sadly passed in the last year. Would be nice to put this out. I plan to eventually feature some of his content myself. He helped with other routes off the Workshop as well, including an NWC upgrade, one of the primary reasons that route is important as it has external need to Steam

Longer options exist by other designers. Railfan's are the most recent, with his first there in his 1970s collection and called Swallows and Amazons. This scenario pays tribute to Nick in the description in the Workshop. While I am probably going to feature this Preston to Windermere drive myself, there are others, including the 1990s "Just Popping In!" and a pair of 1980s scenarios. The last one was published August 22 and is thus fairly recent. This one might be more testing for Jamie, being a Lancaster to Windermere with a reverse at Morecambe. Given the time for Nick's is probably rather short, I'd recommend Railfan's as it also shows off the WCML Over Shap DLC. Lancaster seems to be a good starting point from a time perspective, and it's a Class 158. I may do the same run using AP's model in my case. The 1970s uses the Class 101. One of the two 1980 ones by Railfan uses the 150/1, but the 101 makes another appearance in the other.

The following URL will give all scenarios for the route. Some exist by Martin Freeman (three), a few designers each did a pair, and there are other singles.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=24010&excludedtags[0]=route&requiredtags[0]=#rtdp{f788fc1d-ca4f-4e13-8b13-5de0deb99886}

EDIT: I learned that some Railfan outings use AP products in them, so those would need to be swapped out before airing since DTG legally is unable to show those. Swallows and Amazons, being 1970s, does not have room for AP products in it thus. So that one is safe, as any sound pack (the 101 perhaps) should be optional. Otherwise, just grab Nick's or any other scenario from the list. If Jamie is willing to take the time to remove something, I can run a quick scenario check perhaps and note what would need replacing, or maybe even replace them myself and submit it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Cyclone

Just had a brilliant idea.

Having sent in March the original idea for the Clinchfield Railway SD45-2 (in light of the ATSF one being region-locked and unavailable), and with the CSX pack now coming out soon given the article is now published (likely out this week or next), I'd like to see the new loco doing services on the fantastic Bergen Line if it would be at all period accurate. Jamie can also spend some time looking at all the fantastic building creations on the route where various assets are Frankensteined together to make some neat concoctions (houses, trucks, factories).

Bergen Line is at https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=265923409 and is in its final form.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Minerman146

Minerman146 Member

I would love seeing Jamie do the Bergen one more time for Workshop Wednesday.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cyclone

There is also a Let's Play randomly placed on Wednesday. I already have it pegged to be the SD45 play because I do not see it released yet, so this is the chance to promo it before release. that would suffice if Bergen were used for the demo, but I already suspect a scenario will be utilized, so someone may have to make a Bergen scenario for WW next year.

11. trainsandgames

trainsandgames Active Member

My mate has made a route on the Steam Workshop, it's called the North Lakes Railway. It's a really good heritage line with mainline connection, well done scenery and all that. There are a couple of minor errors (ie platforms don't work) but apart from that I drive it nearly every day. Just leave the 9F to the side.

12. Aussie_Gunzel

Aussie_Gunzel Member

• Like Like x 3
  13. trainbraint

trainbraint Well-Known Member

One route I discovered the other day which I've been enjoying a lot recently, the South Western Main Line Metro, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2079348807
    It's a semi-fictional route based around the Southampton - Bournemouth route, extending it to Salisbury, Eastleigh and Fawley, upgrading the existing lines around Southampton to quadruple track, plus a new line with stations around the Cruise Terminal. So far, the scenery extends from Romsey, to Eastleigh via Southampton, including the lines around the cruise terminal. I would recommend a run in maybe a SWT 159 between Romsey and Eastleigh via the docks (not all of the cruise terminal lines have third rail). Would definitely recommend giving it a look.

14. Cyclone

I did not know this existed. Interesting. Updated a year ago, it appears. Is work still being done on it?

15. trainbraint

trainbraint Well-Known Member

Don’t know when the next one of these streams will be, but I noticed this pop up on the workshop this afternoon and I thought I’d at least share it. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2855335036 - a BR version of the original Great Western Mainline route. Very exciting as would give an opportunity to really give some of the gloriously numerous GW steam locos available on the steam store (not to mention countless other 3rd party locos) a good push up to speed. As well as backdating it, it looks like the route builder has given the route a total revamp. Definitely worth a look.
    Also, on the subject of the Great Western, another fantastic route https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2555064100 - this one being coastal and Devon/Cornwall based, with a nice mixture of mainline and branch lines. I believe it has been updated recently, would also strongly recommend

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. Cyclone

Thanks for the tip on that, I think I am going to do videos for it myself at some point since he has ten scenarios made up for it (external link, possibly adding to the Workshop in the future). Probably going to do a U.S. route first as it was planned for play today, but this is too tempting to ignore. Once some of them make it to the Workshop, I have a feeling it might fit WW as both a route and scenario feature at the same time.

• Like Like x 2
  17. heardturkey

heardturkey Active Member

Thanks for the publicity:).

• Like Like x 1
  18. cindybass

cindybass New Member

I can give you some general tips on finding gems on Steam Workshop for Train Simulator:

Browse Popular and Top-Rated: Start by exploring the "Popular" and "Top-Rated" sections on the Steam Workshop for Train Simulator. These categories highlight content that has garnered attention and positive feedback from the community.

Read User Reviews: Pay attention to the comments and reviews left by other users for a particular workshop item. This will give you insights into the quality, functionality, and overall experience of that content.

Look for Detailed Descriptions: Workshop items that provide detailed descriptions, screenshots, and even videos tend to be more promising. They give you a better understanding of what the content offers and what to expect.

Join Train Simulator Communities: Engage with Train Simulator communities and forums, such as Steam discussions, Reddit, or dedicated Train Simulator fan sites. These communities often share their favorite Workshop content and provide valuable recommendations.

Follow Content Creators: Discover talented content creators within the Train Simulator community and follow them on Steam. They often showcase their own creations and may recommend other high-quality Workshop items.

• Like Like x 1
  19. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

20. Cyclone

Do we still even have Workshop Wednesdays? I thought DTG stopped promotional efforts except for occasional third-party DLC.

21. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

There is sometimes a stream on a Wednesday with Jamie but not called Workshop Wednesday anymore.

22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

None of the Dock lines have Third Rail as the people walking around would get electrified.!!!

Boat train special to/from London use a class 73 or in older days a 74.
    A special ran back in 2008 - 2012 to connect in to Cruise Ships using 2x47 locos

These pictures from May 2011 at Southampton QE II Terminal
    IMG_2693.JPG
    IMG_2698.JPG
    IMG_2699.JPG
    Peter

• Like Like x 2