How Do They Get Timetables For Routes Set In The 80s And 90s

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by carter, Dec 5, 2021.

1. carter

carter Active Member

I need to know.

2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

There'll be other sources but you can just buy them second hand off the internet - eBay has all sorts of railway paraphernalia including timetables and drivers' manuals.
    [​IMG]
    Yes, I probably should've tidied that up before taking the picture. Oh well :D

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  3. carter

carter Active Member

cool so I’m guessing this is how they get their timetables

4. lcyrrjp

lcyrrjp Well-Known Member

It varies. I think some of the timetables are fictional as the Sectional Running Times do not seem like ones which would ever have been used in reality, but on the Brighton Mainline, for example, DTG have said that it’s based on a real timetable.

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

There used to be a site Ribble something, that had a load of old Bradshaw timetables scanned, going all the way back to the early 20th Century but sadly it has disappeared now. Some of the historically set SIAM games give a good indication of what traffic levels were and if you buy the Hellfire bashing game, it has a comprehensive 1981 passenger timetable within. All this for the UK of course.

6. Clumsy Pacer

Yeah, the Darlington - Middlesbrough services on Tees Valley don't appear in my 1989 timetable - they go all the way to Saltburn.

DTG will use the real timetable if they possibly can.

7. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I've every European Timetable going back to 2010 and am expanding my collection whenever I can. Some collections go back decades

8. OldVern

Where it probably gets a little tougher is where freight workings are concerned, you really are then dependant on getting hold of the relevant Working Timetable.

9. carter

carter Active Member

Is the west Cornwall local a Real Timetable

10. OldVern

No because there are no HSTs and the classic diesel layer, good thrash that it might be, was a last ditch attempt by DTG to salvage the mess Rivet handed them.

11. Clumsy Pacer

Matt said on Discord he used the current timetable as a base and modified it to suit the traction. Whether the 150 uses a 90s timetable I don't know.

12. carter

carter Active Member

No I mean like only with the the train we have In the game

13. OldVern

Can’t confirm for certain now as I refunded and deleted the pak file. There was a semblance of reality to it but the couple of times I had a go before getting rid of it, seemed more trains about than you would expect.
    From discussions in another thread about Boston Sprinter, seems DTG and their associates take the real world timetables as a basis but these have to be manipulated to fit within the constraints of the game. In the case of BS it becomes impossible to run to the timetable anyway if you obey the ACSES speed prompts and in the case of my current run, approaching Canton Jn on time it has put a stopper out in front of me which I’m now following on approach and restricted speed.

14. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

BML is the only UK route to use any real world timings beyond the start time, SEHS for instance uses accurate start times but then auto-generated timings from there, which is why they end up so tight. I don't know for TVL, but at least on NTP all of the passenger timetable is fictional, although the freight is done to the period WTT.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
  15. RobSkip

RobSkip Well-Known Member

As for getting the timetables, ebay is usually still the best bet although some of the railway books sites are starting to get and sell more. There's also a number of people in the community with existing collections who may be willing to help, notably Mark at On Track Simulation has a big collection that he scans in when he has time. (https://www.ontracksimulation.com/timetables.html)

• Helpful Helpful x 1