Bnsf Content Now Not Limited To Us - See Note In Post Before Getting Too Excited

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ARuscoe, Dec 8, 2021.

1. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

https://www.facebook.com/railsimulator/

DTG today announced that all Train SImulator content featuring BNSF will now have the full logo set available outside the US...

One wonders if this means that a similar agreement has or could be reached for TSW content going forwards...?

NOTE - this only applies to TSC as far as has been announced (8th December 2021), I have seen nothing to say that any BNSF content is coming to TSW/TSW2

• Like Like x 7
  2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I hate to assume - but with licenses for TS Classic, if not all ready covering the TSW franchise - I would not see those licenses being far behind. Once the dam is breeched - the deluge usually follows. Good news in either case for TS Classic'

• Like Like x 3
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The BNSF logo is already in the TSW2 files for the menu. Of course there wouldn’t be anything to announce for TSW with regards to availability because there isn’t any content yet. It will come though, it’s just a matter of time.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Great, it would be awesome to have the Marias pass and stevens pass and ..... DTG can you work a bit harder and do this before Xmas, please?

• Like Like x 4
  5. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Before Christmas? You must be kidding to think they can do a full route with brand new rolling stock in one month.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Kinda makes sense that TSW already got the logo with this new development (either for internal experiments or to show how the BNSF brand would be represented in talks). Licensing talks with a conglomerate as big as the one owning BNSF take months if not years if I had to guess.

I‘m also very confident that DTG already got a license for TSW2. Seeing how much TSW has grown and how much demand there is for BNSF content, it‘d very shortsighted for the licensing team to not negotiate for a TSW license. As the TS license talks were successfull, I don‘t see any reason for a TSW license being denied.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

Of course they could, but not necessarily Xmas 2021. :)

8. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Marias Pass is something like 150 miles, we wont be seeing that anytime soon!!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Good news! Bring on the Spokane to Sandpoint Funnel as it was in the 90's when still largely single track, along with all the other great BN routes.

10. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think Rudolf meant release the existing TS1 content before Christmas. It's currently scheduled to release in the new year.

11. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

But this at least now opens the door for a future BNSF route in TSW2

• Like Like x 1
  12. Clumsy Pacer

I do have suspicions that this is specifically to do with getting a license for TSW.
    </TinFoilHat>

• Like Like x 1
  13. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

If only Metra would make a Christmas gift of a license, we could have " The Racetrack " in TSW with BNSF freight and the Amtrak Southwest Chief and California Zephyr. :)
    Not to mention that NS, CSX and UP may still have trackage rights.
    It could be a bonanza of a route over the coming years with 100-150 trains a day.
    Well, we can dream, can't we?

( Bearing in mind of course that the TS version was made by Chicago & Southwest, not DTG, to give credit where it's due. )

Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Dinosbacsi

Yeah, the Racetrack is an amazing route, I loved it in TS.

15. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Or Metrolink so we can have a proper Pacific Surfliner route at least between LA and Fulerton, (and beyond)

• Like Like x 1
  16. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Bring it on because they also have mountain routes that require DPUs with separate crews which are Cascade Tunnel Marias Pass. From the 2019 locomotive roster by Trains Magazine, they have 1200s Genset hybrids code S followed by the 867-951 C40-8W which is will use the SPG CSX version as the base then Reskined to BNSF like GP40-2 GP38-2. BNSF Gensets will serve as base models for SPG CSX UP Cane Creek & Sherman Hill Norfolk Southern HSC in the future Lehigh Line Allentown, PA to Newark, NJ via Easton Phillipsburg RR Bridge

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  17. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

I agree and BNSF uses SD70ACE 8400-9399 2006-2014 AC4400CW 5600-5717 & 5838-5840 1999-2004 taken from the 2019 Roster BNSF. If you're wondering how DTG will make BNSF SD70ACE & AC4400CW they're simply going to treat it like GP38-2 reskinned using Sherman Hill and Sand Patch Grade as the base model for those BNSF locomotives

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  18. damarjatiaji

damarjatiaji Guest

Let's bring the Cajon Pass Route to TSW2! Both UP and BNSF could share the same route (ofc UP had its own line, parallel with BNSF's slines)
    Engine choices, what about ES44DC, ES44C4, C44-9W or the rebuild version the AC44C4M, don't forget also SD70ACe-P4.

• Like Like x 2
  19. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

The enthusiasm in here is wonderful, but it's important to know that the BNSF licencing on Train Simulator will have no impact with what comes to Train Sim World 2.

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  20. Wieczorek

Wieczorek Active Member

I mean licencing for TS 2022 is one and for TSW2 second( another( how two paar of shoe)

• Like Like x 1
  21. damarjatiaji

damarjatiaji Guest

at least it opens up the opportunity for TSW2 got BNSF license as well in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  22. ARuscoe

Posted it on the hope that if DTG had a line of communication to establish one license they might keep it open for the other
    (And you know we love a good "pie in the sky" speculation post)

• Like Like x 6
  23. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It certainly adds weight to a potential Merseyrail route seeing the light of day - given its logo also appears in the files.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I understand, but time to change plans and create a BNSF route ASAP.

25. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

So please forgive my absolute Luddite logic here. Are we saying we can get a licence for a 10 year old dinosaur but not the newest incarnation.

I'm really scratching my head here. Are we developing new games or old ones?

• Like Like x 3
  26. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Can you please clarify? Are you saying DTG does NOT have a BNSF license for TSW2?

Or just that there are no current BNSF routes in development for TSW2?

I think the community would appreciate knowing for sure before we go too crazy with speculatiom.

27. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Not directly; but it does show that the owner of BNSF's international IP has been identified and contact made, so the channel of communication is open.

28. Lamplight

I'm pretty sure DTG are just not confirming a possible TSW2 BNSF license for legal/marketing/etc reasons. I'd find it very surprising if either the licensing team didn't pursue a TSW2 license or a TSW2 license was denied (while a TS one was granted).

29. solicitr

I doubt that BNSF would enter into an agreement unless and until DTG present them with a proposed route for their approval; I can't see them blindly granting carte blanche.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Lamplight

Also possible (likely even - now that I think about it). Point being: One way or another, it seems likely that TSW2 BNSF routes are possible now.

31. Clumsy Pacer

I think they do go to the licensor first if it's a new one - Matt mentioned years ago that they had to scrap a TS1 project because they started without a license, and when approached later, the licensor said no.

32. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Logical step would be to propose a route which has already been agreed for TS1 such a Tehachapi Loop

33. solicitr

I believe that when it works the approach is sort of synergistic: DTG have at least a route plan to present as a proposal, in order to sell the idea to the licensor, but (if they're prudent) don't start actual development until the license is nailed down.

34. ARuscoe

Go crazy, just don't expect anything material until you see it on a roadmap
    No, they're saying that they've been able to EXTEND an existing license which previously was for the US territories only to one which is now worldwide. And TSC has never stopped being in development, so I don't know why you would think otherwise

35. Clumsy Pacer

What's most likely happened is the license expired, BNSF decided to resign and allow the content to be released (or re-released) worldwide. Or DTG snuck it into the smallprint and BNSF didn't read it - I'm going for the former though.

• Like Like x 1
  36. solicitr

The problem with BNSF is that somewhere in the complex corporate arrangements that resulted in the Burlington-Santa Fe merger, somehow one corporate entity got the rights to the trademarks in North America, and a different entity got the rights for the rest of the world. Up until now, DTG could only make a deal with the former.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Lamplight

The trouble began later with BNSF being bought by Berkshire Hathaway. As far as I‘m aware, they hold the international license while BNSF itself holds the US license (if we simplify this as much as possible).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. breblimator

breblimator Guest

BNSF licensing policy is so weird...

It only changes that much, now the logotype will be visible on the trains - DLCs could be bought anyway (eg in Poland).
    And any-VPN-where...

The biggest news this year - no irony :D hehehe

39. Lamplight

News from the current Arosa stream:
    Matt just confirmed that the BNSF license does apply to TSW as well.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  40. Dinosbacsi

I suppose that means we can expect a BNSF route for TSW in the future, even if there is none in development yet.

• Like Like x 3
  41. Lamplight

That‘s exactly how Matt followed it up: Nothing in the pipeline yet but BNSF routes are now open for consideration in the future.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  42. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

That’s amazing to hear. If we’re lucky, we could get our very first BNSF route in 2022!

What a week this has been. There’s an official Train Sim World 2 Amtrak livery running on the Northeast Corridor, and the infamous BNSF licensing issue has been conquered. What a timeline to be in.

• Like Like x 7
  43. solicitr

That means that TSW now has licenses for all but one of the Class 1s: BNSF, CSX, Norfolk Southern, Union Pacific, Amtrak and Canadian National. Only one missing now is Canadian Pacific.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Lamplight

If a BNSF route does get into the next release cycle, we might see one in about a year. Even if it doesn‘t, I‘m sure one will turn up in the foreseeable future after that given the demand and uphill battle to finally get the license.

True. An Amtrak loco carrying advertisement for DTG and a BNSF license after all the years of it seeming impossible. DTG really did have a lot of good news to share this week.

• Like Like x 2
  45. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Hopefully this will push other rights owners towards signing up too. A good week indeed.

46. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Well actual there's two missing, we don't have KCS in TSW, nor TS Classic for that matter, and they're a Class 1 as well. A class 1 that will probably cease to exist sometime in the not too distant future, but as of today it still exists, so it's at least worth mentioning.

47. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Worth noting that DTG has published Revelstoke - Lake Louise which includes a CP ES44AC ( Milepost ) and also separately a CP AC4400CW ( Searchlight ) for TS, so a license exists or did for Canadian Pacific.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  48. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Well once the license is confirmed for BNSF, I hope all the other fallen flags that make up BNSF will be available like the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway (AT&SF), Burlington Northern (BN) which was a consolidation of the Great Northern (GN), the Northern Pacific (NP), the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad (CBQ) and the Spokane, Portland and Seattle Railway (SP&S).

All of these would be great especially once steam arrives and for the change over and early diesel days.
    One can only hope.

• Like Like x 1
  49. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

For passenger in Canada they need VIA RAIL

50. solicitr

KCS is about to go bye-bye, merged into CP.