Fully Qualified Arriva Bus Driver

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mattty May, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

After three weeks of intensive training and passing all five of the required tests, I am excited to say, I’m now a fully qualified Bus Driver for Arriva in Liverpool.

• Like Like x 25
  2. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Well done. Try to avoid the low bridges!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Ha ha. Yep, or I’ll have an open top tour bus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Mat_Jam_Ca Wow congrats, at first I thought it’s a bus sim 22 trophy but alas no, real life.

good for you, was this always a plan or fancied doing something different from your last role?

now go easy on the “chancers” pre 930 with their passes ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think since being a little kid I’ve always wanted to be a bus driver. During COVID and in my past job, I absolutely hated working from home. In August, I took voluntary severance (after my role was being changed) and decided it was now or never to do it. I applied in August, passed the van based driving assessment, interview and medical, but only got my licence toward the end of September. Joined the training school in Speke on 22 November. Passed the theory, hazard perception, case studies and Mod 4 exams and then passed the actual driving test first time today.

They call the pre-930 chancers ‘Twirlies’ (Two Earlies) in Liverpool. Had a laugh when I learned that. Also, the crabs too who walk up the aisle sideways lol.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Hehe someone I used to work with was a bus driver in the past and explained the “twirlies” and I laughed. Crabs is a new one to me. Well massive congrats again!! Let us know how day one goes and of course any new terms picked up :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Well done mate. Hope you have many happy years on the road. I might even get on one of your busses one day depending on what services you end up running, you never know.

I remember when I was a kid, we were out on a family trip to the Pier Head and we didn’t know what bus took us back to my nan’s in Bootle so my dad knocked on the door of the first bus parked up. The driver turned out to be my uncle and he was ready to give whoever had disturbed his break a mouthful. That was long before Arriva busses though, I think he drove the red Ribble busses. It was a long time ago. He took a slight detour on his route to drop us off. You wouldn’t get away with doing that these days!

Anyway, good luck in your new job.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Fantastic to hear, hope you enjoy it!

• Like Like x 1
  9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Very good news and you might run across Liverpool Lime Street home to a TS22 route Manchester to Liverpool. What type of bus are you driving because Arriva Liverpool has the Enviro 200 Enviro 500

10. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’m not sure yet, I’ll be based at Green Lane. I was learning in a Wright Commander. This is the exact bus 8267…
    DCA97D09-E35D-42A5-B7F0-2D33653B3EC6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  11. driverwoods#1787

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

Congratulations on fulfilling a childhood dream Mat!

I was on a night out in Liverpool a few years ago and we got the night bus, in those days there had been a spate of scallies reaching into the drivers cab and trying to steal money when getting off the bus, so Merseybus had a few buses converted to have a toughened glass screen protecting the drivers cab, on this one bus we took someone had wrote on the glass in marker pen - Please Do Not Feed the Driver - it made us laugh.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Gotta say, that is one pretty livery.
    Congratulations, Mat_Jam_Ca. I wish you all the best in your new profession :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Congratulations I hope it works out.

I always fancied driving a bus as well but not these days tbh. Too many violent and balshy idiots around now who kick off at the bus drivers for the slightest thing along with someone wanting to sue you should you be unluckily to have an accident and injure someone.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

On the road for the first time (with passengers & a mentor) tomorrow, doing the 26/27 route (Sheil Road Circular) in Liverpool.

It should be an electric (BYD/Alexander Dennis) Enviro200 MMC EV.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  16. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Hi Mat, just wondering what the interview is like, I've just passed the initial application and waiting to be invited to the depot. It would be great to join the bus family :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

My interview was very informal.

They asked things like what I would do if I discovered a safety issue within the depot, how I would deal with an angry customer, how I would react to someone throwing something at the bus.

Which depot have you applied for? I assume it’s with Arriva?

18. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

It's with Stagecoach based out of Aberdeen depot, I'm sure the interview will probably be similar to yours :)

19. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Just think safety and passenger comfort and remember that whilst being on time is important, nothing is more important than getting you and your passengers from A to B in one piece.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Hope your first day went well. I don't ride the bus often, but I've always had a touch of envy when I do. Just seems like a neat way to spend your day.

Isn't it ironic that my generation grew up riding electric street cars or buses which were foolishly discarded, and are now the next big thing.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

First day was really good fun. Exhausted now though lol.

• Like Like x 5
  22. driverwoods#1787

Nice and for its American & Canadian Cousin it's the XE40 due to New Flyer Industries owning Alexander Dennis. American & Canadian transit buses will have a problem driving UK streets due to them being 102 in 2.6m width, unlike your Enviro 200mmc which is 96 in 2.44m

• Like Like x 1
  23. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Enjoy. You can always imagine you’re driving a 150 or a 158 in a more fanciful moment, with the engine revving away!

• Like Like x 1
  24. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

As long as you remember there are no rails underneath you!! :D

• Like Like x 2
  25. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I’ve been asked a few questions about how I became a bus driver. I’ll make a detailed post to help out anyone who wants to join the industry as soon as possible.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Our brand new fleet (Wright StreetDeck)… Replacing most of the Alexander Dennis Enviro400 fleet.

B544473C-2313-4EBC-9D7D-4C6EBC1F7E92.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  27. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

When I joined Arriva, I didn’t have my PCV license or Driver Qualification Card (DQC), so I had to pass five tests in order to get them both.

The five tests required are:

The Theory Test
    This is a 100 question test in which you have to answer a minimum of 85 questions correctly to pass.

The Hazard Perception Test
    This involves watching 19 clips and requires you to identify 20 developing hazards. The earlier you detect the hazard, the higher your score. You can score anywhere from 0 to 5 points per identified hazard. 18 clips have one hazard each and 1 clip has two for a total of 20 hazards. To pass, you have to score a minimum of 67 out of 100.

The Case Study Test
    Similar to the Theory Test, you have to answer 50 theory based questions that centre around several case studies. To pass, you have to score a minimum of 40 out 50 (80%).

Module 4
    This is a practical test in which you have to demonstrate your knowledge of the vehicle and what checks you need to carry out under specific circumstances. There are 5 separate sections you must demonstrate with four marks in each. To pass, you must score a minimum of 15 out of 20 in each of the five sections and 80% overall.

Practical Driving Test
    An hour long practical driving test under examination. You mustn’t get any more than 12 minor faults or one serious fault to pass. If you repeat a minor fault 3 or more times, it becomes a serious fault as you’ll have fallen short of the required standard.

Once I passed all five tests, I relocated to my depot where I started route learning and how to use the ticket machine. I then did three duties alongside a mentor before going out on my own.

When I applied at Arriva, I had to drive a large van and meet the required standard in that van. If you are unable to meet the required standard in the van, you won’t progress to the interview because if you can’t drive a van properly, you won’t be able to drive a bus properly.

The interview questions were based around customer service and safety, so you need to be able to show that you can deliver good customer service and be able to demonstrate a strong, safety conscious work ethic.

If you pass the interview stage, you’ll be invited to have a medical. You’ll also need to have an eye test to ensure you can meet the minimum standard for driving.

• Like Like x 3