New Amtrak X Dovetail 50th Anniversary Wrap

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nberneck99, Dec 9, 2021.

1. nberneck99

nberneck99 Well-Known Member

Amtrak unveiled a new ACS-64 wrap today! Think there is any chance we will get it in game?

Here are some shots I got of it at Newark Penn Station: DAA770DE-2672-40A1-89A3-11BA009126BE.jpeg 8E7693D3-8415-4F0F-9199-7CA5FF2220C7.jpeg

• Like Like x 13
  2. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

It reminds me of the racing cars in Gran Turismo livery... TSW has made it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Now if that doesn’t jump up the player numbers I don't know what will. Well done to whoever did that, things like that will help pay for more artists and bigger routes. Need to start tapping up other companies now and doing this. Looks brilliant

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  5. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Maybe Matt can answer it: Who is actually the lead artist for this livery? Has DTG designed it or was it Amtrak?

6. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Our team led it but it was a joint effort, there was a lot of back and forth between us and Amtrak to hone it to the final livery as there's lots of critiera to adhere to - it's not just a blank canvas you can put anything on. E.g. we couldn't put our Rush hour slogan "Be in control" or equally something like "Drive this train in Train Sim World" because there was a concern people might misunderstand that it referred to the real train.

Really pleased with how it has ended up, strong base on the Phase 3 livery - which was important because as train fans ourselves we wanted to see something more than just a moving advert - but plenty of customisations to make it unique to us, I love the cityscape subtly in the background for example.

• Like Like x 33
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

Hopefully the 387 can get something similar (hopefully 387 208 since that’s the one on the rush hour artwork). Especially since GX are starting back up next week.

8. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Will it only apply to number 622 in game?

9. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Maybe now they can get WCRC to name 47245 ;)

10. Doomotron

If they can add full liveries to specific units only, hopefully we'll be able to have the blue Class 313.

11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

A wonderful idea and a nice Christmas present for players, especially the US fans. Plus it's mirrored in the real world, so no complaints about fictional liveries!

Thanks, again.

12. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

They already do have liveries on individual units...... Trainbow and Back the bid 395s on SEHS.

13. DTG Matt

Amusing moment from the beta discord where I asked some of them on there what they thought an ACS-64 in Phase 3 as a livery would go down like, and the sentiment was "dont think anyone likes fictional liveries" to which I replied.. weeeelllll.... :)

• Like Like x 17
  14. Clumsy Pacer

That system is just decals, Matt said recently that no one had tried it with full-blown liveries.

15. Doomotron

Decals vs full liveries. This is the first time (assuming it does actually only sub for the appropriate unit - TrainSim-Matt Is this indeed a full separate livery, or does it only affect the unit that actually has it?) a full livery has been done this way. If it works, more one-off liveries like the blue 313 are possible.

I wonder if they'll include a new scenario for the route, like with the P42DC pack?

16. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's similar to model trains. Some people buy fiction, but it's still fiction. Once you put it on a real train, it opens a brand new dimension.

17. DTG Matt

Its a separate livery, couple of reasons - we've never tested the system used for the decals for an entire train and there's some concern over performance, second, we thought you'd prefer the opportunity to select it rather than wait for a 1 in however many chance of randomly getting it.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  18. lux#4689

lux#4689 Well-Known Member

Can only 1 spawn at a time, or is it possible that 2 or more will spawn at the same time?

I actually like the 1 in 25 chances to get the trainbow or Medway-395 in SEHS, as it is really random, like in real life.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for that. Don‘t think I‘ll ever use anything but the new livery for the ACS-64 in the future :D

• Like Like x 4
  20. WaveyDavey

What about AI use then? Does this mean it’ll never be seen as AI or it will still be spawned just once as AI as long as you aren’t driving it yourself?

21. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

It looks amazing, I hope this inspires new routes from Amtrak to be collaborated with DTG and licensed to be made in TSW 2.
    I am exciting for this livery, it is so nice to see Amtrak sponsoring DTG's game.
    I almost didn't believe this happened today.

22. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

So what difference is there in the engine term between making a whole livery and a decal? Why would the performance probably suffer from one and not the other?

23. Clumsy Pacer

A decal is just something you add to the livery, so it just adds the trainbow or medway texture over the top of the existing livery. Presumably therefore to expand the system to do full liveries, you'd need either a huge decal the size and shape of the train, or loads of decals - neither of which sound particularly good for performance.

24. DTG Matt

Performance ting due to technical reasons. I don't pretend to understand the detail :)

• Like Like x 1
  25. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Speaking just for myself, I would prefer it to spawn at random and only on locomotive # 662. It makes it more special and exciting, and really stand out, when it does show up.

The system for a separate livery on a specific locomotive may not have been tested before -- but at some point, it should be, because it would open up new possibilities for the game.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This is true for basically any special livery, 5 are coming out next week, they SHOULD be bound to specific numbers and therefore appear only when that number is selected (or picked by the player).

27. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well ideally the special livery should be selectable when starting a service, but should be bound to a specific number. So in this case, you could select the Amtrak Anniversary livery in the menu and it would put you in #662. Or if you're driving something else, #662 would spawn randomly in this livery.

I suppose a system like this is not implemented yet, but would be good to have in the future for official special liveries like this, and also for user made ones, so certain lvieries could be bound to specific running numbers if needed.

28. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Not really related but the Boston-Providence routes does feature random spawning custom liveries. Try putting a few on the Amtrak ACS-64 and it's various Amfleet cars. They will at times spawn with a random livery in the consist or loco. I honestly love this feature.
    I hope this feature is extended to future routes that release.
    I also agree having that special unique train should be a feature, if it's ONLY 662 then I think a system could be made for that. It just makes the locomotive special to see it on the route.

29. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Random spawning of custom liveries is already a thing on all routes. Exception are certain DB rolling stock like the ICE and certain EMU routes like the LIRR.

30. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

AIUI, alt liveries will spawn randomly on individual locos and cars (except for Clinchfield freight cars, for some reason), but not on EMUs or DMUs, apparently because there's no way to have the whole train spawn in one livery set.

Except
    : the Cathcart 314 will spawn alt liveries as one train... but weirdly, it has something to do with leveraging the hidden FGW Blue livery routine for the 166 and HST. Because if one has that unlocked, you suddenly start getting Scotrail Blue Saltire 314s on the Great Western Mainline!

31. WaveyDavey

101, 313, 375, 377, 387 all spawn custom liveries in game. ;)

32. solicitr

Hmmm- all British. No German or American EMUs.

33. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Not until this new Amtrak #662 livery comes out.
    It would seem that most if not all British routes/trains may have some sort of this system in place. It's otherwise absent for other routes, namely American and some German routes.

34. solicitr

Amtrak isn't an EMU, it's loco-hauled.