Can Preservation Updates Add Services.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by carter, Dec 12, 2021.

1. carter

carter Active Member

So I first wondered this when I saw that HRR doesn’t have ICE, and then I saw that RRO doesn’t have ICE or IC and then I saw that a preservation update for RRO it’s on the roadmap and I was wondering if that preservation update could add new services.

2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Well, it can, but it's very unlikely that it will. The only PCT update which has added services to an older route was in the case of Rapid Transit- which had no services at all except for the 1442. But to do it, Adam had to personally take three of his allotted four weeks and build a new timetable from scratch. You can't really stick new services into an existing timetable any more than you can stick new gears into an existing clockwork.

3. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I don't understand this. I mean, 101 services could be added to the HRR timetable but ICE services cannot be added?
    What is the difference?

4. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

But... you can? There are plenty of train add-ons that add new services to existing timetables.

Also Oakville Subdivision is getting a new passenger layer with it's preservation update. It's perfectly doable. It's just up to them if they want to or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Yeah and...no. It's doable, yes. But 'perfectly'? The fact that the new RT timetable had several issues showed that it's not an easy task. "If they want it"? I think it's not about wanting to do it, it's about the question of time and costs. Building a new timetable is pretty much work. It needs full testing and stuff. And of course someone who is able to do that. Maybe doing a new timetable for an old route means longer waits for new routes because the timetable can't be developed. Your way of describing it is - I'm sorry - not doing justice to the complexity of this development stage. I would love to finally have ICE on HRR - the only route which already was rush hour even before the rush hour release. But I'm not disappointed if there isn't.

Also: Changing the timetable for a loco DLC still is feasible because they earn something in return for that. But changing the timetable as part of the preservation update really makes no money at all. So economically it's a tough decision to make.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  6. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Technically untrue. Adam did also add services to WSR.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't quiestioning the complexity or challenges of the task. But it's perfectly doable, given the time and willingness to do so. It's up to them to decide whether a simple preservation update worths the time to make a completely new timetable, but if they want to, there is nothing technical stopping them. Obviously changes to a timetable will require more testing than smaller things like making platform climbable, but the way you described it, it sounded like giving an existing timetable new services would be impossible, which is not true, there are plenty of examples for it.

8. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Yes, this is something I would also like to see, even non driveable AI would be nice for example on NTP, I would like to see additions like Services on the London line from Leeds, services going off to Carlisle/Skipton from Leeds, passenger services on the Wakefield/Penistone line from Hudds, a shuttle service from Stalybridge to name a few, the are plenty of others out of Manchester too.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. dosto762

dosto762 Well-Known Member

some sort of new services has been added to most preservation update routes

10. grob-e

grob-e Well-Known Member

Well, it's surely doable, if it's 'perfectly' is kind of definition. It's not like only looking up the real life timetable and then throwing let's say 50 new ICE-services in an already 400+ service timetable and hoping that the AI dispatcher can cope with it. you'll have to find some gaps our slots in the existing tt, and then test and snd see, if these services will fit in the slot one by one service. Well, given the fact, that there are a couple of grumpy people, moaning already about the BR 101 timetable being broken, because some services are held up for two or three minutes by a crossing freight train... well, won't be that easy at all.

I guess it would be easier to add some AI trains for example on HBL on the platforms to Hannover in Hamburg Hbf to make it feel more busier.

11. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

I think Joe once said in a live stream chat that a overhaul of Hamburg Hbf is something he wants to do if he has the time. No confirmation on that.

12. carter

carter Active Member

I did ask him about this and this person named Joe is helping with a Timetable.

13. carter

carter Active Member

I think it’s perfectly doable because remember HRR didn’t have IC So I can’t see why they can’t just make it as a layer and also ICE could be a layer.

14. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I understand that the preservation crew should focus on adding the new functions and fixing bugs in the old routes. Adding services may not be as well suited to their functions, although they have done so in RT and WSR.
    This is time consuming, does not generate revenue and salaries have to be paid every month. So I wouldn't see it as a bad thing if these things had a price tag that I wouldn't mind paying for a more complete and immersive experience.
    I would like to see all the rolling stock we have available at TSW being put to full use by putting it to work on all the routes where it is realistic to do so. And also take advantage of areas of the routes that are sadly disused, with all the work that went into modelling them. Sidings yards, depots, industrial areas... give work to those shunters and switchers and let them interact with the main line as with BR 363.
    But I repeat that this work should not be free, I wish DTG would consider this in the future, so that they or third parties could do it.

• Like Like x 7
  15. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

We all have to shape our expectations that Adam is primarily adding new features to old routes to try to deliver a consistent experience.

Whilst they probably can add services why would the accountants let him do complete or partial timetable rebuilding to a large scale, odds and sods maybe but not large scale.

This would then make a preserved upgrade a "gameplay pack" similar to diesel legends which they could make money on (train being added aside).

We have to remember these guys do not officially work for free and as such I like to think of them as a sweep up team rather than a new development team

16. carter

carter Active Member

I would probably not pay 101, but maybe we can get something like that br 204 on RRO where I need to buy the G6 first but this is only what I think and they could probably think of something better.