Dtg Should Extend The Length Of The Upcoming Harlem Line To Southeast.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SgtBreadSt1ck, Dec 2, 2021.

1. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t mind the rain as long as they include a fully cloudy sky when it rains, like what happens in normal nature. Scenarios of course will always happen in storm or blizzard conditions or in total darkness.

• Like Like x 1
  2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I think its time and this DLC may be a grand (central) opportunity to have some dioramas doing something like this? I mean whatever happened to Dioaramas, any one see them in St Ives or Sherman?

The stations need some interesting ones in them. The memorial plaque, great. Anyone look at it twice? JD's corner of sick, anyone visit it to check if there was a puke easter egg? There isn't.

I know we won't get licensed music, it doesn't need it. I know we won't get a full on Flashmob, imagine that being made from the passengers that vertically eject themselves or crash the world. Again, we don't need it.

As a wishful suggestion ,what would be nice though is something other than the Orange man sat down with his pal, he's lazy and does nothing. He could be sweeping up, pushing a trolley, looking employed. Orange man is no different to my personal "now I've seen it I cant unsee it static digger" TrainSim-Adam , if I recollect you told me we may have animated machinery soon on a stream, Xmas card and a beer waiting there for you when we do :cool:

3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be any in St Ives as DTG haven't released the instruction set to 3rd parties (Adam commented on this recently). Not sure about Sherman but given the route is fairly empty not sure what scope there would be for them

4. chieflongshin

I guess with Sherman it’d be yard personnel if anything

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  5. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I mean, Peninsula Corridor could of been a bit better had they had the Southern end at Tamien Station instead of San Jose (Since most Caltrain trains actually end there) plus the addition of the branch line to the Port of Redwood for local UP switching services.....

• Like Like x 1
  6. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

I Agree, they should really allow us to continue the route from whatever station we want to start at and end at. They should also allow us to run 24hour, just like in real life, and also to get like 15-30 min break before hopping on the train. They need to give us time to set up the train before departing such as rollsign, atc on, and other function on or off.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

They should do something up it, give us the freedom to do what we want.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Ok, let just HOPE That they do a good job and amazing job and won't let us down, because from when I saw the route for Hudson Line on TS2021, it was horrible, they were missing lots of objects and grand central was not impressive at all. I really do Hope that they don't recopy all of the old objects and toss it onto this one.

• Like Like x 4
  9. SgtBreadSt1ck

SgtBreadSt1ck Active Member

The number of cars you mention is completely false. Metro-North does not use 10-12 cars on their electrified routes. Only 9 occasionally on the new haven line.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gae14

Gae14 Active Member

Looking at the last roadmap I noticed that there was a change for the Harlem line. In this roadmap the route terminates at White Plains whereas on the previous one it was North White Plains, which is only 1.5 miles further from White Plains and is a sensible endpoint for many services on the route.

So my question is, is this a typo or were there changes in the scope of the route since the last roadmap?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  11. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Hopefully just a typo. If they actually end the route at White Plains instead of North White Plains, that would be even more horrible.

• Like Like x 7
  12. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Perhaps it's a typo. If it's not then that would be a bigger slap in the face

13. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I believe its a typo because the first one said north white plain, it just crazy already that they are not willing to get to the last stop on this route already which is southeast- only 13 more stop from North White Plain :(:(

• Like Like x 1
  14. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

At this point when the harlem line got into the roadmap, its probably not far from release compared to the development time. So dont expect anything to change, since they would probably start from scratch with the entire timetable and delay the route for months.
    Thats crearly something, DTG should have thought about in the first place. My personal opinion is in this case stick for another route instead of invest ressources in a half "thing" in terms of service capabilities.

Would London Commuter be the same if the Route ends at Gatwick? I doubt it.

Ill get it anyway, i really hope (expect) they fix the broken Sounds of the already existing M7.

15. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

So True, it mostly likely that it won't arrive before Christmas, probably it got push all the way to after new year 2022

16. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

Exactly, I thought the same question bout London Commuter..Would it been fair making only from Brighton to Gatwick or even East Croydon(without the Gatwick Express services in the game)???...Ohhh or they didn't cut Peninusla Corridor to Milbrae or so...but this Metro North dlc, we get half a line(23 miles), but London Commuter is a full 50 mile route in the game....Oh and I won't get the dlc...I def watch other videos and posts to see reviews, when they get their hands on that dlc

• Like Like x 2
  17. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

To be fair, it probably all comes down to time. What sets apart the Harlem Line from the Brighton Mainline or Penninsula Corridor is that it travels right through the dense urban core that is Manhattan. In terms of scenery, it's an order of magnitude that's much larger than the other two routes... you only really see a small portion of San Francisco or London and most of it is at a distance. In contrast, you'll be running straight through The Bronx and Harlem with buildings hugging close to the side of the tracks.
    That's a lot of scenery to deal with.

One has to keep in mind that the length and mileage of the route isn't what's important. What is important is what you do with that scenery. Sure, the Brighton Mainline is 50 miles long, but 90% of that consists of suburban and countryside.
    I don't mean for this to excuse DTG's thinking, but truncating the Harlem Line means the difference between getting the route done in a few months from now rather than it being released in like Decemeber of 2022. Sure, you and me don't mind waiting, but from a business perspective? That's probably a bad move.

With that said, I still expect DTG to give the Harlem Line it's best shot, and make it into a faithful recreation of the line with what little we will have. Throw in the fact that they're working with locos/trains that we already have in game, there shouldn't be any reason for them to skimp on with this DLC.

• Like Like x 3
  18. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

You mean the 97th street to 125th Street section of the Harlem Line Park Ave viaduct. In terms of gameplay M7A the Blue paint version exactly plays like the Yellow LIRR Version since you use R1 R2 PS5 Xbox Series X RB RT to accelerate deccelerate and no need for DRA red button UK German and future Austrian ÖBB EMU Federspiecherbremse yellow button. The German EMUs use a male voice or silent while DB BR182 MRCE BR182 reskinned versions ÖBB1116 & 1016 quadvoltage 1216 use Chris Lohner prompts.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  19. meridian#2659

Thats exactly why i will buy it anyway, im sure the 23miles to North White Plains are nice and worth the experience for sure. On the other side i know the point will come, when im arriving at north white plains and want to continue to Southeast.
    It wouldnt be much of a problem if dtg goes the Line with extensions.

20. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

hopefully, they do without making us wait that long. I would also go with line extension for any of the route, if they do go down this path.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Dinosbacsi

I will probably also get it for the M3 action, if it ends up being good and actually busy, unlike LIRR was.

22. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

There are too many unknowns with this route for me to commit to buying it on release, as I would normally do for a NA route. I strongly suspect that the route will now end in White Plains and no further, since there's been no " correction " to the most recent Roadmap. That will be disappointing. Also we don't know if there will be AI services drawn from the Hudson and New Haven branches. And we don't know if there will be the expected " Rush Hour " components, without which the route and GCT would be rather empty to say the least. Until these constituents become clearer, I'll take a wait and see attitude.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  23. meridian#2659

I still think its a typo, and north white plains has the Depot. That DTG isnt gonna extend to southeast should be obvious (at least not for free), but cut back to White Plains wouldnt make sense, since its not even a termini.

• Like Like x 5
  24. chieflongshin

I think if I heard correct it was confirmed that Grand Central has no concourse last night.

(apologies for tardy typing earlier).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  25. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

???

26. meridian#2659

You mean Grand Central?

• Like Like x 1
  27. chieflongshin

I think that's what was said on the stream yes.

28. meridian#2659

The hall is nice to have, but in my opinion not relevant to the train game play. Bakerloo hasnt modeled the top part of the stations either.

Paddington, waterloo, charing cross, maida vale have all a train station on top.

• Like Like x 2
  29. tallboy7648

I aint suprised

30. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I'll be waiting until this is 50% off seeing as it's only 50% of a route.

• Like Like x 4
  31. meridian#2659

I saw a cab ride, looks really interessting. I understand there is going much work into the environement, because dtg doesnt want to screw up to impress the customer withnew yorks skyline.

A two part route dlc would be nice, so if somebody is a rather a casual driver, the harlem line as it comes now wold be enough.
    And people who like to enjoy a rather long run to southeast, can buy the second part.

Yes dtg doesnt do extensions, but 2 parts developed at the same time is a different thing and possible in my opinion.

32. chieflongshin

The largest most visible building in Uk was left off Brighton mainline so we shall see

33. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Just to confirm the target end point for this route remains North White Plains, including the depot there.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  34. tallboy7648

Understandable

35. tallboy7648

If DTG decide to do another metro north route in the future (New Haven or Hudson Line) now that you would have the Manhattan Skyline and assets of The Bronx modeled, next time make the full line and not part of the line. Otherwise threads like these will just pop up again. If you can't do that, don't do it at all. We can't keep getting MTA commuter routes that end at places that the electrified portion of a line wouldn't end at real life effectively giving us an non full line route making a route feel unfinished.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  36. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Question is though, how good will that Skyline look?
    195569026_319700263064714_8374266937269019367_n (1).jpg
    banner.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  37. tallboy7648

Well dtg don't have the tech to do that because that would effectively be a route extension. Expanding maps are possible but the issue comes with the timetable and making adjustments to the timetable of both routes so they are in sync with one another along with the game recognizing that a player owns routes that can be merged into one route. If that tech were developed then extensions would be possible. It would be nice if dtg were to work on that eventually. The game has been out for 5 years and most of the routes that dtg have made, there has always been players asking for route extensions.

38. tallboy7648

If the reason was that they couldn't do the harlem line because of the Manhattan Skyline, then I expect it to look as close to real life as possible. It will be nice to see how dtg try to replicate my home borough of Manhattan in NYC

39. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

That's the point, I wouldn't mind the short lenght if the urban part looks really good.

40. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Me too as long as they put in amazing work to the detail and scenery as close as possible to the real world, I wouldn't mind paying.

• Like Like x 1
  41. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

I wonder why the route is ending at North White Plains instead of Southeast. What is the reasoning for the shortened distance of the route? I am glad we are getting the Metro North featured but it would be much better to build the line up to Southeast atleast. If other routes in TSW2 have had longer track distances, I don't see why the Harlem line covers a short distance. The electrified portion of the route in real life is almost 60 miles in track distance. Why not just include the fully electrified portion of the Harlem line in TSW2? In TS2014 and above, we received the fully electrified portions of the New Haven and Hudson line. I noticed for the LIRR route in TSW2, the services mention ronkonkoma but the map actually ends at Hicksville. I really hope DTG does not make the same mistake that was made with the LIRR route.

• Like Like x 1
  42. chieflongshin

Now if the time table is as busy above with Dresden night lighting it could be a saving grace

• Like Like x 2
  43. tallboy7648

Well luckily there are services that terminate at north white plains albeit less frequent local services. Hopefully dtg won't come up with the same excuses if they make another Metro North route in the future.

44. tallboy7648

Hopefully they add the night lighting. Although it can't be implemented to the core since that is route specific We can't keep getting routes with the terrible night lighting

45. Dinosbacsi

What is so good about Dresden's night lighting?

46. tallboy7648

It's not perfect but it's better than what we already have from what I've seen at least

47. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Its a combination of a few things really. But much of it boils down to having reflective sign posts, realistic headlight beams, and of course having appropriate scenery lighting, with lit-up buildings and plenty of street lamps. The coloring of these lights are important to get right as well.

Naverhkehr Dresden sets the bar on how night lighting should look like on all TSW routes. It's appropriately dark, but you can still see what you're doing and where you're going.
    My personal hope is, now that the technology and methods are there, hopefully DTG can take what it's learned and apply it to the Harlem Line route. The dense urban scenery on the route should provide a ripe opportunity for this.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I've never understood why so many people like the Dresden night lighting so much. I mean it's a great route and I love driving it in daylight, but the night lighting is that unreal, glaringly yellowish color without visible sources or realistic reflections. And once outside the station areas, it's back to the old utter darkness we see in much of the game. For some reason, DTG and many players have claimed it as a " breakthrough ". Not me. If you want great night lighting, you need to go all the way back to Sand Patch. That's the standard I look for.

• Like Like x 4
  49. meridian#2659

That calls for a "bright night" selection in the option menu. ;), this way it would be up to the players choice.

I like the dresden night lighting.

• Like Like x 1
  50. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The moon on Dresden is atrocious. The reflective moonlight is there when you are facing the moon, just as bright as anything but when you turn round it isn’t lighting anything because the ambient moonlight has been reduced to zero. They are two systems in the software that are supposed to compliment each other but one is missing. On top of that none of the artificial lights in the stations cast any shadows from your train, yet on the opposite side of something lit only from artificial light it is a total black hole on that side of the object, due again to no ambient light. So you have these separate systems of lighting battling against each other and not producing good results with either ambient light or the artificial lights. There are other issues as with all artificial light in TSW but it stands out more in Dresden, when the lighting on roads doesn’t overlap, that kind of thing.

The fact that buildings have lights on at night and that the signs are reflective are the only two things that are an improvement, the rest is worse than before, especially the moonlight. It was a valiant effort to try and improve it but it needs a lot more work before it should be used again.

The main issue with the standard nighttime ambient was that it just got brighter and brighter during the night cycle. In the standard lighting, a nice amount of moonlight could be present but then it just keeps getting brighter and brighter until it’s like daylight. It should just stay at a nice dim moonlight all night. On some routes it is set so it is dim in the middle of the night but then for most of the night there is total blackout. TSW needs a different lighting system altogether really.

I’d like to see the buildings with lots of lights at night, and reflective signs on the tracks, that would look great on this route, but I wouldn’t want to see the full Dresden lighting ever again.

• Like Like x 3