Kudos To Rivet Games

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LeadCatcher, Dec 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Just ran a service on Arosa with the new time table and revamped Raildriver and just want to say - Good Job! Schedule is very doable and you have adequate dwell times at stations without being overly lax. Raildriver is still a tad touchy on the throttle going between 3, 3.3 and 3.5 but that maybe my calibration.

I never suffered much from the rocket take off many have experienced since I started with the locomotive brake set then after applying 1.5 power released the brake. Now that is not necessary. All in all a very enjoyable run. This is one route that is very easy to drive HUDless which is an added bonus for me.

• Like Like x 21
  2. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

It is so nice to see a group that is not bashing Rivet Games, but instead praising them

Personally I like everything Rivet Games made for TSW2, and I can not wait for the new pack they made

• Like Like x 9
  3. Blartthaniel42

Blartthaniel42 Well-Known Member

Honestly I never had a interest in this route until they announced the pack and update. Now I can't wait to get the route and the pack. I really like a lot of the products that Rivet puts out, and while sure it's not prefect, I still support them because I would rather see more content and fixes (even if it takes awhile) than to have them get driven away by the community

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 12
  4. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

It's good to hear the fixes are good. Might get the route in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BlaringHorn

BlaringHorn Well-Known Member

Not to sound too "glass half empty", but what issues remain? I've steered clear of Rivets DLC so far because of the things I've read, but maybe I'll take a look at this if it's improved enough.

6. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Holy dmn..., that snow looks nice!! Acceleration bug is gone basicly, and the route can be called an experience now.

BlaringHorn: I think with the Route it self + the addon pack your glass will be more than full.
    This Route is surrounded by high Mountains, since everybody is complaining about the far distance scenery, i think none of dtg routes faces the same terrain situation. All TSW2 routes lacks of the far distance scenery when looking close, obviously here you can see it instant because the mountains. So if you call this an "issue", in winter this isnt much of a problem.

TSW2_Meridian_1639643672_00.png

TSW2_Meridian_1639643687_00.png

TSW2_Meridian_1639643702_00.png

TSW2_Meridian_1639643720_00.png

• Like Like x 4
  7. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Good to see this feedback. The timetable and the acceleration bug were spoiling it for me. This is my most local route, so I’ll look forward to giving it another try at the weekend.

• Like Like x 2
  8. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this release and to see the improvements. Hope there are some scenery improvements to West Cornwall local soon in the New Year too.

9. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

The West Cornwall is good fun, so dont stay away from it. There is a glitch were you need to manually close the doors sometimes from the outside, but ultimately its a good drive!

• Like Like x 4
  10. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I always liked the Arosa Linie. It is good that the initial acceleration has improved. I still think it is accelerating a bit fast. For driving it doesn't matter much but for coupling it makes life hard.

There has been a lot of debate on the look and feel of the far away mountains. My guess is that Rivet can improve, if they have a good chat with Skyhook, but on the other hand it is not that bad. Only in clear weather it does not look good, but if it is cloudy, foggy or a bit rainy/snow it looks quite good into my opinion. The only thing that bothers me are the far distant trees in snow conditions, they look far to white on the mountains. I think this is a common TSW issue. If there is show you should not simply paint all trees white but just cover the leaves with snow and keep the branches uncovered.

Also, this routes need two meters of snow in winter, not just 10 cm. But this also is a bigger issue....

Looking forward to play the gameplay/livery pack later today. Yes, I agree Rivet is doing well in general.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Funny thread, but why not... Well-done Rivet!

Next time, however, fix your stuff before release and not after 9 months. Thanks. Keep up the good work!

• Like Like x 10
  12. Dinosbacsi

Fair point, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  13. LeadCatcher

For me, the route has always been an enjoyable run, never had a problem with rapid acceleration since I always set the loco brakes after stopping with the dynamics for safety before opening the doors to stop any roll back. On starting, apply power than release the loco brake. While the scheduled times were way off, never really cared knowing they would be fixed eventually, so made the run as best I could safely - kept track of my arrivals and built my own schedules I strove to match,

Watch many cab ride videos to compare the physical track layout, bridge tunnel and trackside structures and found the route to be spot on for the most part. Totally ignored such comments as the “distance scenery hurt my eyes” and “sounds like a shopping cart” as being overly dramatic, though I am sure those felt the comments were justified. While I feel the distance scenery isn’t perfect, it never distracted me from driving the route and in my humble opinion is quite spectacular in winter during sunrise or sunset when viewed from the cab.

I take a lot of what is written in these forums, both good and bad, with a grain of salt - I am sure they balance out as reality is somewhere between the extremes and of course filtered by what you personally find enjoyable.

Best

• Like Like x 6
  14. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

This has encouraged me to purchase this route since I have always enjoyed Swiss routes in TS.

• Like Like x 5
  15. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Well done for the positive posts.
    Should cheer Jasper & co up going into the holidays.
    While I still can’t accept Arosa in any season other than winter, I can appreciate the decisions they were forced to make.
    Graphics versus gameplay.
    It’s just odd that they swerved from not enough trees to too many…

I’ll await for a sale before buying my bit of Cornwall.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TimTri

TimTri Well-Known Member

Looks very promising! I always really liked the calm and romantic atmosphere of the whole route, but the timetable issues kept me from buying it. Might have to purchase it when it’s on discount again soon!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I don't own Arosa (yet), but from the stream to me it seemed the loco still jumps ahead to about 3 km/h in an instant. It probably was worse before, but... it's still there, isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
  18. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

So happy to read that the major issues have been addressed, I'll be using my 3EUR voucher I received from rivet last night for this as soon as I get home

• Like Like x 3
  19. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Yes because they said they are not able to solve it, so they made it less evident ... facepalm...

• Like Like x 3
  20. frank1116

frank1116 Well-Known Member

So true !
    I am wondering why outher locos are able to accelerate so gently and the GE can't. Even the package was a bit too late, i have enjoyed the first run at the updated version. Thanks Rivet.
    Train Sim World 2_20211217111035.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  21. LeadCatcher

i have not experienced the jump to any noticeable degree. But as stated before, I have the loco brake applied to stop any movement when loading passengers then release it as adding power, starting with .5 till moving then throttle up to the speed limit.

Same technique used when starting a manual transmission when on a hill - foot on the brake and accelerator as you slip the clutch :) (mostly for my fellow Americans since finding a car with a manual gearbox anymore is difficult),

Ran a few scenarios and a timetable or two in the new expansion and enjoying the new schedules ,,, even had a running meet at a station that was a pass through for the run.

• Like Like x 2
  22. bogallan1

bogallan1 Member

Yes, a most enjoyable route after this update. I found the route very playable and enjoyable before, but this update and pack improves the experience further. Thank you River / DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  23. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Does anyone use RailDriver with that route after the update?

24. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

It is a bit sad that we feel the need to say "Great work!" for something that should be considered normal, but we live in very weird times so it is what it is...

• Like Like x 6
  25. JBViper

JBViper Well-Known Member

Yes.
    Finally, we manage to get the intermediate acceleration notches (2.5, 3, 3.3), but you have to go very slowly; not very practical yet.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Yes, it is. I'm still not happy with it, but it is true that it is better than it was.
    Other stuff that was fixed or improved that I did not see in the patch notes (I only played 1 service, so take this list with a grain of salt):
    • Using the dynamic brake no longer prevents the train from applying power again for 30-40 seconds.
    • Safety systems are somewhat improved. Now you usually get the green in-cab signal when you pass a green distant signal (this used not to work previously most of the time). Still found an instance of a distant signal at Litziruti station (when going up to Arosa) that does not trigger the in-cab signals (even when it is yellow meaning the next main signal is red).
    PS: Found out that the last distant signal before reaching Chur works fine (it was linked to a main signal just after the tunnel, not the one just after the switch). So that one seems to be right. Unfortunately also noticed that the distant signal at Litziruti station (when going up towards Arosa) does not trigger the in-cab signaling.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. Sharon E

I bought it yesterday after the update. Am finding the throttle on the Rail Driver is not sensitive enough so am using the keyboard for it. I can bump the A and D keys and get very small increments in speed change while with the RD can't. Use RD for brakes.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

This route is realy great, and I like it even more now. Have some else spot duplicate herigate unit?
    This should't happen (or I have just luck:cool:):
    [​IMG]

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. grob-e

grob-e Well-Known Member

Well, I'm still thinking about Arosa as the biggest misunderstanding in TSW. While the customers have been mostly focused on it being a nice, smooth and easy ride through beautiful landscapes, Rivet set their focus on making it a challenging driving experience going down a 6% gradient even with a light train (and maybe even exaggerating on this at first to make it more challenging). Taking Arosa as this, well, it's a very unique driving experience, that can't be compared with any other DLC in TSW. That the most reason I like Arosa for, and with the fixes I remarked an incline in enjoying the experience Arosa gives.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I'm in agreement with most here. This is a really enjoyable route now. Finally after a long time waiting my Swiss trains run on time :) The lurching and braking is also much improved. So great job Rivet. Better late than never. I'll use my 3 EUR voucher on the Anniversary Collection pack now and hope it gets me more in the mood for Christmas!

• Like Like x 3
  31. Sharon E

I have just started driving this route and my first go at Arosa to Chur was a little slow as I got used to the vacuum brakes with the engine's dynamic brakes. I feel it will be fun to operate even though the RD throttle needs work with this locomotive, and, yes, I calibrated it. For now am using the keyboard A and D keys for throttle control.

32. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I have to say I do think rivet are upping their game. When watching the recent stream I was really impressed (route looked better than release). I hope they find their feet some more, I do like they’re not against stepping outside box and putting quirk into their routes

• Like Like x 4
  33. meridian#2659

Tried something uncommon at Arosa:

The Ge 4/4 is MU compatible in real, so i wanted to test how far its implemented. The good thing is, the brake system is working, so you can drive with the second loco or just tow it.

Since there is no layer, i guess they didnt implement the entire MU working. The Jumper cable is missing (would be below the windows, and the second unit seems to produce no tractive effort because of that).

If Rivet one Day is gonna extend the RhB network, ill suggest this to implement.

TSW2_Meridian_1640368449_00.png

TSW2_Meridian_1640368792_00.png

TSW2_Meridian_1640375170_00.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  34. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

I had to say, this was the only reason I have Arosa Line now. Rivet Games for once actually listened to the community and actually fixed a lot of things and actually produced something that made a DLC that was originally a trainwreck into a DLC actually enjoyable with this pack even though the scenery without the snow is still kinda garbage

35. meridian#2659

I enjoy the addon with the pack, rivet indeed has done a great job, the summer month are not even bothering me that much with the scenery, but winter is really impressing on this route.

They work on the update for raildriver compatibility now.

• Like Like x 3
  36. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Credit where credit is due, and props to those people at Rivet who did really, really good work: the Ge 4/4 and its coaches are things of beauty, just exemplary craftsmanship.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Dinosbacsi

Definitely. The only issue is the bit wonky physics and the sounds. But modelling and features wise they are really good, I love driving the GE4/4.

• Like Like x 1
  38. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

I am pleased to see some of you have been able to have a more enjoyable time playing since the update.

• Like Like x 8
  39. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

It would be still interesting to know why in notch 0.5 the acceleration is so fast? Is that because some parameters are a bit off in Simugraph?

40. Dinosbacsi

Makes me wonder as well. At first I tought it might be the amps increasing too fast, but the amp meter shows it increasing pretty normally. So who knows what might be the issue.

It's also weird that just 1% brake application can stop the train from moving, so you can't even use the brakes to take off slowly.

• Like Like x 2
  41. joerg.lange

joerg.lange Well-Known Member

I was one of the biggest critics of the route (distant scenery!!!), but then bought it before christmas. Against all expectations, I have a lot of fun with it and play it much more often than I could have ever imagined. The vehicles are very beautifully designed. I'm still not a fan of the distant scenery (looks really ugly some times!), but I just switch to winter (looks much nicer!), light snow, dusk, get myself a coffee or mulled wine and enjoy the christmas vibes.

If they could implement Clinchfield-like distant trees into the route, it would suddenly become one of my absolute favourite routes. I would even pay money for such an extension (Arosa reloaded... :cool:).

• Like Like x 2
  42. Jasper_Rivet

Jasper_Rivet Well-Known Member

There's an edge case we couldn't prevent from happening: The different liveries are used in the timetable and it can happen that the players selects a livery which is on a AI train that the player will pass in his service. Should be a rare case though.

Other than that, thank you very much for the positive feedback in here, really appreciated!
    We hope you had a fantastic start into 2022!

• Like Like x 7
  43. solicitr

Say rather, inspired to buy it thanks to the update.

It's touchy because the 3.3 setting breaks the regular (and intuitive) relationship of "throttle setting = speed/10;" 3.3 (=33 km/h) winds up being "notch six and a half," which is tricky to juggle even on a keyboard.

44. solicitr

BTW, one nice little detail, which they didn't have to include, is the "fan shutoff at standstill" button. Not many loco developers would have bothered.

45. solicitr

And this is a TSW thing, not a Rivet thing; on other routes when driving a custom livery I've passed my own twin. The spawn routine apparently does not remove "player train" from the list of liveries the system can pick from at random for AI trains.

46. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Playing Devils Advocate here Jasper, but how about a response in the relevant thread(s) to the huge number of issues that West Cornwall Local still has, both the route and the Class 150/2?