Armstrong Powerhouse Class 800-803 Pack Coming Soon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 749006, Dec 14, 2021.

1. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 3
  2. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

Ooooh! This will be good! The current one is terrible.

4. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

I will say, it seems a bit uncharacteristic the way they've been teasing this, in comparison to their other content. And it would be my luck that this is the first I've looked forward to something this hard only for them to take longer than usual to release it. And this is with anything I look forward to TS-wise. Which I get a bit annoyed with. Because anything else I'm not concerned about, seemingly gets released almost right after its announcement.

5. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Might be down to the large number of features AP are adding to this unit - have you seen the manual :o

And I suspect it may be released on Thursday

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

AP have announced the pack will be released Thursday 16 Dec.

• Like Like x 1
  7. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cyclone

Already posted the video in the AP update thread, not sure we need it everywhere in the forum. ;)

9. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

So you quote it and it's up for a third time..... Yeah..

Anyway the update thread is NOT the place for it as it's not to do with updates and patches it's a feature showcase video, please remove it from there Cyclone as it's not within the spirit that the thread was started!

10. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

what a weird comment.

11. Cyclone

Uh, other releases have gone in there from Peter Hayes before. I am following his lead, so if releases are not to go there, I will leave it to him to decide and I can remove it appropriately.

12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

13. Pookeyhead

That's a great price too!

14. Cyclone

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. If not, can you please explain how 17 pounds is a great price? It has fewer features than the 377/379/387 pack according to criticism I've read. Based on that same reading, 10 pounds would be more appropriate.

15. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Whatever AP releases there will be some people saying it's too much - not enough features etc
    Where have you read these comments?

I can think of a number of features this pack has that the 377/379/387 pack does not have - like working on Diesel

16. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

BuT iT doEs'Nt hAve wOrkInG GSM-R :o:mad::(;)

I know right, end of the world stuff right there.. *rolls eyes*

17. Cyclone

I am not knowledgeable enough of the things they claim having not used many of the products yet. Just that they claim them.

18. SJA

SJA Active Member

Has scenarios for Chat Moss which makes for a juicy combo. I've been toying with the idea of getting that route and the 185 for a while so this is another nudge in that direction :)

19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I have thought about the Chat Moss route as it is local but the cost of the route on ATS + the OHLE Pack makes it expensive

I could always run the TPE unit on the WCML and ECML routes

20. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

The 800 is a nice upgrade, the 185 is on another level (including announcements). Chat Moss is a great route too.. maybe worth an ATS sub just for the savings across the board?

21. class2ldn2801

class2ldn2801 Active Member

I cant seem to get the destinations to work, it says press f7/8 but nothing happens?
    Am I missing something?

22. Cyclone

I heard a rumour the OHLE pack might be part of the "free pack" special that sometimes happens. If this is the case, it might be worthwhile for me to sub for that, as then there is much more value in what is there (my only concern is Missing Link might not be finished within the year). I know that AP packs are generally the focus of that type of special event, but I own many of those already and the only way to catch me on that is with a very expensive unowned item (like the 319s, or the 411/412...which alone would make the sub literally 2 pounds, so likely not in the group).

23. Pookeyhead

By reading the manual, it seems quite well featured.Not actually bought it yet though.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
  24. SJA

SJA Active Member

Which livery is that on? I bought it last night but have only used GWR Green so far, and F7/F8 works for the destinations on my installation for that particular livery.

25. class2ldn2801

It was the gwr, tried it again and it seems to be working so not sure what the issue was.
    I think the in cab sounds while moving are still too quiet.
    Needs a little turn up I think lol

26. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

They are very quiet in real life, real drivers of them have noted this to Alan Thomson who mentioned it in his stream the other night.

I'm pretty sure the diesel engines aren't in the leading drivers cars anyway so what would you hear irl from 50~60ft away in an insulated cab?

I will also add that AP are notoriously quiet throughout their range so make sure your game sound is maxed out.

If you want more sounds there's always RWEnhancer 2 which layers on additional ambient sounds over the TS ones, just another option to consider.

• Like Like x 1
  27. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity does anyone know what AP uses as a benchmark to produce realistic volume levels? I do agree most AP packs seem unnecessarily quiet in comparison to other developers products.

• Like Like x 1
  28. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You are correct and it is difficult to hear the diesel engines when you are in the passenger part of the leading/rear coaches.
    Have a listen to the first 10 mins of this - you can hear the AWS but there is very little other noise

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. class2ldn2801

Well they must have much better insulation then the 700s i normally drive lol.
    If its realistic then thats fair enough, I wish ours were that quiet lol.
    I dont think its the engine noise but the ambient noise more really.
    Even in that video you can hear that quite clearly

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  30. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Can anyone confirm that the auto-braking in speed set mode doesn't work in diesel mode?

31. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Page 19 of the Manual says it does not work in Diesel Mode
    "If the target speed starts to be exceeded in electric mode, such as when the train is on a falling gradient, the speed set will automatically apply the dynamic brake in order to control the speed. When in diesel mode, speed set cannot be used to slow the train."

32. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Thanks, Peter.

33. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Just done a highly enjoyable 4.5 hour run run from edin to KX in the new AP LNER class 800 (9 carriage set in electric mode) using the AT east coast merge route.

Have to say the speed set functionality is great … especially on long runs.

The only issue I have is that everytime that accelerate up and reach 125mph, the HUD says I’m speeding for about the first 20 seconds… even though the Speedo / HUD still says 125mph.

Don’t get the speeding message when changing up or down to any other speeds (ie 100 / 110 etc)… it just reaches and maintains speed perfectly.

I know the gradient can effect by the odd mile an hour but even after Pboro where it’s flat as a pancake, I get the speeding message at 125mph.
    Any suggestions to fix?
    I also cannot get the Destination screens to work… but not to bothered as I normally sit in the cab!

34. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Apparently (not tried it myself as I don't get any 125 line speeds) If you set the power to 75% when you've reached your target speed of 125 then you don't get the warnings but still maintain the 125 speed set, apparently the game doesn't like you leaving the power on 100%.

This is only what I've read so try it and report back with your findings.

35. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The speedo does not show decimal places so at 125.5 mph you are not speeding and at 125.6 mph you are.

36. james37611

james37611 New Member

Yes I remember having that issue with the HST on the GWML, when I was on full chat on notch 5 in a 125, and the speedo was showing 125, when I pulled up the F3 screen to see if there were any upcoming speed changes, it was flashing up as speeding, because I was doing 125.7.

This only affects after 100mph or something, I can't remember? I'm sure I've done something like 60.6 or so in a 60 zone and got away with it?

37. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Don't know about over 100 as you lose the decimal point but everything up to 99 you can do .9 over line speed without incurring a speeding warning.

38. Cyclone

To be fair, you can do .9 over anything above 100 as well. But you have no idea how close you are to danger at the next number. I also do not know if it rounds, so you might see 111 in a 110 without being flagged. I swear it happened to me twice, and both times I was cleared.

39. westcastlerail

Hi Reef
    Thanks very much for the recommendation, I have just tried using 75% throttle when approaching 125mph, and still get the same result of speeding warning for the first 20 seconds when travelling at 125mph, even though HUD and Speedo say I’m not exceeding 125 mph.
    It’s seems to me as if the 125mph speed setting calibration is ever so slightly out (126mph?) in the AP Class 800 pack?

40. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

As TS speed is only calculated in tenths of a mph, it appears there might be correlation issue.

We know that in career scenarios you can go at limit + 0.9 (in standard scenarios, it’s limit + 1mph), so you would only be flagged as speeding when you actually hit 0.1mph more than that, ie 126, which should display as such on all options.

Incidentally, I believe in the real world, the speeding tolerance is +3mph, before you’d be flagged up.

This 3mph option would be much better in TS, as you could learn to rely on the cab speedo (which can sometimes be hard to make out to the nearest mph), rather than the HUD if you want to keep at line speed and meet the hectic career timetables.

Alternatively, of course, switch off scoring, kick back and enjoy a more realistic session driving according to the conditions and following proper defensive driving techniques (eg being slow enough to stop after every yellow to avoid a SPAD, not opening the throttle too quickly to avoid wheel slip), which may very destroy your chances of hitting the timetable tolerances and getting a career gold star, or even any points!).

41. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Exactly how I play TS and I enjoy it all the more for it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  42. Cyclone

I did not know real world was 3 MPH allowance. And the issue is Career scenarios can be programmed to the number of miles allowance, and they are all set to 1 MPH. It's not a default setting, it's what the scenarios use as a setting. Even if scenario creation defaults to 1 MPH before penalizing, creators can choose to use 3 MPH. DTG doesn't. And that is something that could be fixed across Career scenarios, among other things.

43. westcastlerail

Yes me too … I do not like career or scenarios chasing mythical point scoring awards ( but I’m sure some do … plus even with 80% off in the Steam Sale I’m not tempted back to TSW2!).
    It’s just a bit strange that I only get the speeding message when using the maintain speed function at 125mph, and not at any other speed.
    When using the maintain speed function it only works in increments of 5mph on the class 800, so unfortunately you cannot drive consistently at 124 mph without manually powering off and on everytime you drop or gain a mph.

44. Cyclone

To be fair, if I was going 120 or 124 MPH, I would not care about the minuscule time difference.

45. westcastlerail

Over the length of the East Coast Mainline it would make quite a time difference!

The end of scenario evaluation says I was speeding 77 times!

I’m not that bad a driver and always (try) to drive at line speed …. And surely that would be one hell of a fine and ban with quite a few points on the license in the real world. (And for the record your honour I did stop at all stations!) 693699A0-BD94-4927-BE1A-D5B693544EE0.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  46. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

There was a comedian who joked about being done for speeding three times on the M6. He said ‘how can you do me for speeding on three separate times? I only sped the once - I never slowed down the entire time!’

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  47. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

Apologies for dragging up an old thread but wanted to ask I'm here to see whether it was a 'bug or a feature', as it were.

I've just given the 800 pack a first run through and I've noticed when I move the power controller back to OFF the unit continues to take power. When I look at the F5 menu, I see that even when my F3 menu says OFF, the F5 menu says my throttle is still open at ~20%. When i put the unit into the low brake position, the F5 menu shows a low brake application but doesn't shut off the throttle. This is in electric mode, I haven't tried in diesel yet, but only happens when the train is moving - when the unit is at a stand the throttle reads 0 and the unit doesn't move as expected.

Am I missing something, or is this a bug at my end? I know newer modern units have little quirks but I wanted to make sure that this wasn't usual behavior before I raised it as a technical issue.

Thanks all and apologies again for reviving a dead thread - can make a new one if mods prefer.