Epic Sale

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nwp1, Dec 18, 2021.

1. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Oakville and East Coastway for £2.49 on Epic. Loads of locos and routes under £3

For those not playing on Steam go grab a bargain!!!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. pterocles#7018

pterocles#7018 Active Member

Thanks for the head up! 3 routes + 2 locos bagged.

3. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting us all know!

How long is the sale on for?

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

That seems incredibly cheap...
    Will the Epic versions work with Steam or must we wait and see what discounts they are going to offer?

5. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

The holiday sale on Epic Games Store will end at the 6th of January, 1500 UTC = 1600 CET, if I am not mistaken.
    To my knowledge, it is the first time at all that legacy stuff (DLCs released prior to TSW2) is on sale on Epic Games Store. Many of those products are up to 75%, a few even 90% off. So a nice opportunity for us Epic players to catch up.
    I am pretty sure that add-ons purchased on Epic Games Store cannot (legally) be mixed with products bought on Steam.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OldVern

Yes it looks like Epic versions only work on Epic.
    Sadly I can't see Steam matching what appear to be pretty much firesale pricing levels.

7. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I have been thinking when I was gazing at Steam Sale lists or Dovetail Store promotions, being excluded from both as an Epic player, not even being able to buy the four routes of the original (just recently removed) TSW for peanuts..

But don't worry, on the long run it will all balance out.

8. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Damn, those are some good prices. Though I'm already a Steam user, but this is good news for the Epic folks.

9. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried to purchase an Epic TSW add on and is running it on steam. Not sure why they wouldn’t work, just that Matt said on a stream they they wouldn’t. Crazy discounts far better than steam.

10. Dinosbacsi

Well you can try it if you fancy wasting your money, lol. But I can assure you that they won't work properly, if at all.

11. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

You can copy the paks between the 2 versions (as long as the pak goes into the others 'pak' folder -- not dlc). Tested this and works fine.

There is a huge caveat though...the platform which has the copied pak will not receive any updates, this only works on the platform it was purchased on (you can of course re-copy over the pak once it's been updated)

12. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It would be possible to set up symbolic or hard links from the Epic DLC folder to the Steam pak folder so that everything is updated and read automatically. It would allow one to take advantage of the better prices on either store, but with such a Frankenstein set up there are bound to be issues down the road.

Cheers

13. OldVern

I would have thought the ever present danger if Steam detects something in your install that shouldn't be there, you'll be accused of bootlegging it and put your entire Steam account in jeopardy. So not really worth it, but memo to DTG marketing, after the pitiful Thanksgiving discounts let's see something a bit more substantial in a few days time - please.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

This is something that bothers me a bit - recently all Steam sales were 20 % max, 35-50 % for the oldest stuff and only sometimes. Meanwhile, Epic sales are this crazy. I somewhat get why - it is Epic engine and their royalties are somewhat lower, but for people having the entirety of collection on Steam, sales have become very uninteresting. But hey, maybe we Steam users are just spoiled...

• Like Like x 1
  15. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Really disappointing , I feel like a console player now in that I’m excluded and penalised for setting up a £700 collection so far on steam. I’d have bought a good 5-6 things from Epic. I hope steam offer something more than the £2 off things.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dinosbacsi

Don't be ridiculous. That's just the way it is. Epic has been known for offering really good sale prices, along with the usual free game offers. It's just their marketing strategy to get more people onto their platform. If their cheap offers gave you a Steam key as well, then it would be entirely pointless, as that wouldn't make you want to switch over to their platform.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

While I agree, you can clearly see a shift in Steam sales. There used to be a lot larger discounts there and this abruptly ended when TSW2 came to Epic. You could find year-old DLCs at 35-50 % off, now basically all TSW2 original content is 20% off at best.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dinosbacsi

Epic sales aren't going to affect Steam sales, just like console store sales won't affect them either. They're separate platforms with their own sales policy. And I don't know what you are talking about, as there were a few add-ons for 50% off a few weeks ago (GWE, for example, I think?).

That being said, I do hope there will be some good offers on the upcoming christmas Steam sale.

19. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

That's not necessarily true. Obviously console sales and PC sales aren't linked. However as Epic take lower cuts than Steam, it makes sense for DTG to encourage users to buy through Epic instead of Steam. It's entirely possible that DTGs strategy is to encourage people to buy through Epic as much as possible.

20. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I would like a clear official stance on whether you can buy TSW2 content on epic and play them on steam and vice versa. Is it going to be stopped or not? We know it works currently, and you are legitimately purchasing it from one or the other of Steam and Epic, but if in the future there are plans to stop this from even functioning then it would be good to know.

• Like Like x 1
  21. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

The official stance will be simple: "No, it is not permitted". I imagine that Epics and Steams T&C's will also ban it

22. ormondroydj

ormondroydj Member

Epics and Steams T&C's do not necessarily ban it, I owned Hitman 1 and 2 and all their dlc on steam and when Hitman 3 came out it was an Epic exclusive and was able to transfer over all of Hitman 1 and 2 to Epic for free as well as my progress when i bought Hitman 3 on Epic

Edit: this was done via an IO Interactive account which both my steam and epic accounts were linked, but this is similar to Dovetail Live

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  23. ormondroydj

ormondroydj Member

24. chieflongshin

Well that would be good to get some clarity on this from TrainSim-Matt or DTG Natster before the epic sale expires on the 6th if possible please. There are several things I would like to pick up but not if I can't use under my existing amount of content.

Interesting that the Epic CEO doesn't mind but I guess it needs to go the other way too.

25. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

No plans for this to change in the immediate future, I'll flag that article up to the retail team for discussion but expect nothing to change on this front unless / until there's an update briefing otherwise.

It makes sense to me, and I like the idea of doing it via DTL, but there maybe other constraints to consider (these things are rarely as straight forward as they look).

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

Sorry I think I misread this but did you say you feel like a console player now!
    In the last year we've (Xbox) had one sale. One.
    And now a different platform is having really good sale and you decide that as you only get sales with slightly less discounts, although as often, you are hard done by.
    Feel some sympathy for the Xbox users!

27. chieflongshin

That's correct yes. When I first saw the difference in the Steam prices vs Epic my first thought was , now I know why the Xbox owners get annoyed at Steam and PC. I had this on Xbox myself but bought PC and collection here and then to see the collection at fire sale prices I had a little swear.

Luckily (again not for Xbox unfortunately) the Steam sale brought in some good prices too

• Like Like x 2