Current State Of The Game (spoiler: Not Good)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Task, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Task

Task Well-Known Member

What is wrong with TSW in the last few weeks or rather months? We constantly get bad news and not much to look forward to, I enjoy the game less and less each week somehow.

First of all there currently are two major bugs on most (or all) of the routes and from how we know how fast you fix bugs it likely we won't get fixes for them this year and we will have to see how fast next year.
    The first are most of the speed boards showing zero and the second one are the AIs not completing instructions properly anymore which results in red signals everywhere. Both bugs degrade the gameplay pretty much for a big amount of players.

But that's not all, the second problem we still have is the state of the Rush Hour routes more than two months after the last route released.
    Boston has big problems with the signalling that make it almost impossible to keep to the timetable.
    Dresden has massive performance problems and still some issues with the timetable (like freight trains driving backwards and missing destinations). But the performance problems (mostly frequent, heavy framedrops) make the route (that's pretty nice in most points) basically unenjoyable for me. Other routes don't have those problems at all.
    And then we have London Commuter. First problem: How can it be that one of the three RH routes still doesn't have the RH passengers? That was your big selling point and you can't even get that to work. But then we also still have issues with performance and crashes on that route.
    Why can't you focus on fixing your recently released content before doing new stuff?

Next point is the Preservation Crew work. Iirc there weren't any Pres Crew releases since the release of the Rush Hour update? It's so frustrating when Adam talks about stuff they finished in August / September and that still hasn't got released. How long do we still have to wait for the nice fixes that are mostly already finished?

One other problem is a nice perspective to look forward to. There isn't really much on the roadmap at the moment. You have no first party loco dlcs and not even a British route (with details) on there. Maybe it's the Spirit of Steam thing but if that's the case you should at least confirm it. Still when you have no interest in Steam, you have no British stuff to look forward to. But even aside from that there still isn't much announced for people to look forward to.

Then you announced the Expansion pack. An add on that seems to be all over the place. Here you get an essential feature like sharing UGC but you also get some random services, scenarios and liveries. And now even a BR 423 with the S-Bahn Köln livery that doesn't exist like that in real life with the modernised interior from Munich.

I was always way more positive than other of the non-casual players but all the points I mentioned really drag my excitement and fun for the game down and I certainly won't play the game much (or at all) until the two major things I mentioned are fixed. I was looking forward to play the game more over Christmas but I won't do it in that state.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 60
  2. matinakbary

matinakbary Well-Known Member

Did they confirm that the interior won't change?

3. Task

Task Well-Known Member

Yeah Matt did in a stream last week (at least that was told on the Discord).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Ben132465798

Ben132465798 Well-Known Member

And even the updates we got aren't completed at all (Missing LZB and Substitution, to name two)

• Like Like x 3
  5. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Yes, I suppose my interest in TSW has waned a bit recently due to no UK routes being announced. I enjoyed BML but I suddenly stopped playing - I can't put my finger on why really (maybe signalling issues?).

Surely they are working on a UK route but for some reason aren't willing to disclose as yet? If they aren't, then we're looking at months before anything arrives unfortunately.

• Like Like x 2
  6. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

At the moment I feel the same. I usually buy every DLC, and play TSW pretty often. The past few months this has really changed and I've started becoming very picky at what I purchase.

The issues in my opinion:
    - Bugs are patched far too slowly. It's great that Adams team want to update and bring new features, but my main requirement is that my game isn't spoilt with bugs. There's scenarios that can't be completed, frequent red signals, crashes (something I've never experienced before prior to Rush Hour).
    - Some of the DLC has been released in a really bad state. Especially third party such as the 187, Arosa (although some of this has finally been fixed, but it's still far from polished).
    - The roadmap just lacks inspiration. Other than the 612, there's nothing exciting on there. We have a great deal of reused stock coming up and not even any first party loco DLCs. No point having a varied selection of routes if it's the same locos all the time.

• Like Like x 19
  7. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

It's true that things got pretty messy in the last few months. I still think they should slow down a bit with releases and polish products more before releasing it, to lessen the workload later on, as currently we have the case of bugs getting out of control again.

I mean, as you said, there are the two big ones: thr AI issues and the speed limit signs. But recent releases also have a bunch of issues, like the Boston ATC, then instead of that getting fixed, we get even newer bugs with each update, like the brake handle sound bug, speed display disappraring. Sherman Hill released in a pretty good state but with the latest update they broke something in the in-cab signalling and now it shows restrictions even if the physical signal in front of you shows green or some of the collectibles still not being accessible.

They need to slow down and properly check what they do, as it's clear that the routes are not getting their final touch ups before release as they should.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

They probably are working on a British route, my guess is it'll be well in development. They're likely not disclosing info on it because people tend to get really annoyed at having to wait more than about 3 weeks for something after it's been announced (see the 313 which is likely the one thing that triggered this policy change).

• Like Like x 3
  9. Task

Task Well-Known Member

Yeah your words are close to my heart here. Especially what you added to my points about the roadmap.

10. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

To add, the Save Bug, which has been with TSW since the very beginning. DTG, except for a few brief, off handed comments, has been ignored by them. It does not take away from game play that you are willing to run without stopping, but for those of us who find doing a 2+ hour scenario long it is game breaking. Yes, you can pause your play for a time and return, which I do a lot, but I don't think this would work if you had to break from play for a day or two. I also agree with other comments above. I do not play Boston Commuter just for that. Really only use LBM of the Rush Hour pack. SH is nice, but again if you do a run from end to end, the Save Bug is there, since this takes 2+ hours to do.

• Like Like x 9
  11. Task

Task Well-Known Member

The problem here is it's not the save bug. There are multiple smaller issues with the save feature that result in it not really being reliable. They should focus on making it work 100% though or just remove it entirely.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dubsox

dubsox Member

It's because they keep releasing broken DLC and then spending a year or more to fix it. On streams whenever anybody asks about features all we ever get is "No" or "We can't do this because (blank) and (blank) reasons". I remember the London Commuter route preview stream, and people were asking about having such a detailed service mode/timetable on other routes and Matt said no because of how many months it took to make it. Like, imagine spending time on products you're passionate about instead of rushing broken releases and spend all your time trying to fix them.TSW2 started on a good note, but Rush Hour has just been a complete disaster in my opinion. Lots of broken promises and broken content.

• Like Like x 15
  13. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I use the term "Save Bug" as all inclusive for everything that contributes to the save feature not working properly. As far as removing it, I don't go with that idea. If you are, by chance, doing a scenario which does not involve AI trains and the AI dispatcher, it works fine. I used it all the time on the mine runs in CRR and only a few of those were affected. I think we can all agree, this issue is with how the save function effects the AI dispatcher and signaling once you restart a saved game.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

I agree, especially with the speed sign bug, which is the biggest issue in my eyes because personally, i havent come across stuck AI in recent sessions on DRA, BML and a few other routes.
    I hope the bugs dont continue in the next releases, If DCZ should release with all the speed signs showing 0, i'll probably wait for a patch which would be really sad because i'm really looking forward to the route and the 612 in particular.

And the release of updates is truly something else which they need to sort out, it doesnt matter if something is fixed or not if it isnt released.

But i think its still a very enjoyable game and i am looking forward to future releases.

15. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

I totally agree.
    I've been saying for a long time now that the feeling I get as a customer is that they are out of control. Every time they try to fix something they mess up at least one other thing and as they release new material this will become increasingly difficult to manage.

I don't doubt their good intentions but the good words turn out to be worthless. They tell us that they have increased the number of tests and beta testers. But how can we believe them if after a release or update there are bugs and errors that players can detect in less than 5 minutes? This does not give a sense of seriousness or professionalism.

Afterwards, when we report these bugs they always have nice words: we are investigating it and we will try to give it the highest priority. Stop. Unfortunately we cannot give you an approximate date for a solution. Stop. We are very sorry and thank you very much for your patience. Stop". You have to admit that they are very original :D

Months later, many problems remain unresolved. Or at best, they've fixed it but in return they've broken three other things. What is going on here?

And the number of problems is increasing all the time. I try to be positive like the OP but I have to surrender to the evidence.
    Besides I also suffer from the dlc limit on ps5. The consequence of all this in my case is that since July I have only bought the Rush Hour pack and the G6: total 50€. Seeing this situation I have no desire for more. As a comparison, last year I spent more than three times as much money on TSW in the same amount of time. If this is only me, nothing will happen. But if, unfortunately, many of us do it, the figures in the account books will not add up.

• Like Like x 13
  16. nhilsubsolenovum

nhilsubsolenovum Active Member

I spent hundreds of pounds in TS Classic but the reason I did that was to customise the experience to how I wanted to play. I could add to the atmosphere with new sounds, liveries & scenarios. I could get lost in it.

I really want TSW2 to work but I feel it's lacking atmosphere at times, that only an editor and modding can bring. People who've a love for modding could bring this game on leaps. Fill up the sidings, put new assets into the scenery and expand the game massively. FS2020 allows this with adding airports and scenery. It becomes more personal to how you want to play.

There's so much right with TSW2 and so much that's lacking, and even though an editor is never likely, it's the one thing that would take this game forward.

If Rivet make a naff Class 150 but I can buy the expansion pack from AP to do it properly, I would. Ideally by far, I'd rather pay more and have it done properly in the first place, than have to settle for cheaper substandard DLC that is full of holes, never to be fixed.

• Like Like x 10
  17. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

My biggest problem with TSW today is the lack of substantial bugfixes. A good example for this is the BR 187. It is still in such a desolate state and there literally 0 signs that a fix is coming. Another example: With the latest releases and patches, the performance especially on Dresden-Riesa got so much worse. Its my local route and it is of really high quality so it hurts so much to see it in that state.

The second problem is the sound. DTG is doing slightly better but still: None of the trains feel realistic or immersive in terms of sound. You almost never have the feeling that you are driving a heavy train.

The third problem is that TSW still misses basic features like dynamic weather or a fully customizable HUD. Both are essential for a sim and its still missing. Yes, level crossings are nice and important and better passengers are also cool. But come one, dynamic weather makes the world come to live.

For myself, I got the attitude "If its not released, it doesnt exist." There were so much announcements of patches that never came so I personally dont trust DTG in patch announcements unless it got released. Because as communicative as DTG is now, as much did they lost in terms of credibility for patches, at least in my eyes.

• Like Like x 13
  18. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I found recently that there is actually a sort of "dynamic weather;" If you run a route in winter and set the precipitation to high but the snow level to 0, over the course of a longish service the snow will accumulate and have a good blanket down by the end.

• Like Like x 1
  19. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

What why? They couldn't be bothered to add the 423 to ska before it released but instead they are just doing a copy/paste with a livery change and not changing the interior. Honestly I don't see any reason now to buy the expansion pack. What a joke

• Like Like x 3
  20. doublefine7

Thats not new, that has been always there, even in TSW 2020. And its not dynamic, its snow accumulation on the ground.

• Like Like x 1
  21. solicitr

Do please try to ameliorate your posts with a little nod to reality. DTG "couldn't be bothered" to add - at great expense - yet a third all-new EMU to SKA?

22. doublefine7

the 423 is not all-new. Just replace the 422 with it, add the necessary FIS and boom, done.

• Like Like x 2
  23. tallboy7648

And yet they can't be bothered to add the proper interior to the 423 for this pack despite the fact that the DB BR 423 S-Bahn Koln interior is the same as the db br 422. How difficult would that be? Also they could've made the money right back since we all had to pay for tsw2 to begin with

24. Clumsy Pacer

I'm surprised you've only recently found that, that's always been there, as has snow turning into rain when the temperature rises above 0. The snow will also melt if the temperature is above 0 (which could be seen on bakerloo prior to the RH update by setting the weather to 'winter snow', since snow isn't meant to be on that route, it'll just melt away.

• Like Like x 1
  25. solicitr

The 423 would have been all-new at the time SKA was produced. HMA lay in the future.

26. doublefine7

Ah ok, I misread your post :D

27. solicitr

Probably because when setting a route in winter I always put down heavy snow accumulation- otherwise there isn't much point. (Also, white trees with no snow on the ground look daft)

• Like Like x 1
  28. Clumsy Pacer

The bright white trees look daft even with the snow ;)
    I didn't know they all go white just when it's set to winter, though. I thought it's based on if there's snow or not.

• Like Like x 1
  29. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go so far as to suggest TSW is in crisis, but it seems to have been a year of mixed fortunes for the game.
    Many basic long standing bugs such as the save game issue(s) go unfixed,
    As already noted many routes including DTG's own need some fixes - BML with Redhill track, Reigate mashup and the missing fencing. As seen with the speed sign debacle, QA and peer review of both core changes and product releases (West Cornwall) are coming up short. Covid and WFH not really an excuse for not actually having someone sit down and play the game for a few hours to make sure nothing is broken, or that routes and traction meet a high enough standard for a payware product.
    It's almost as if the whole team burned out after RH and can't get motivated to get back on the horse, so to speak. The speed sign issue should have the coders working overtime unravelling what part of the latest changes broke the core and get it fixed.
    Well hopefully 2022 will be brighter all round and I'm anxiously awaiting more news on Spirit Of Steam which also seems to have slipped off the radar.

30. doublefine7

To be honest: I dont want to have Spirit of Steam within the current state of the game.

• Like Like x 5
  31. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

There seems less comms from DTG these days which is worrying.
    I held off buying BML due to the poor state of Reigate and no rush hour passengers.
    Months later there is still no updates and hence my money stays with me.

Likewise it’s a bit disappointing no new UK projects have been announced.

Flight sim developers seem to be able to release info on projects months ahead of release and keep people interested with incremental development updates.

I wouldn’t mind knowing today that c2c, as one example, was to be released in 12 months time if there was an occasional update and maybe screenshot.

I want to be positive and want it all to succeed but the whole thing sadly seems increasingly like a missed opportunity.

• Like Like x 2
  32. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

Tbh the dysfunctional beta team doesn’t help

• Like Like x 7
  33. tallboy7648

Honestly I am starting to question Matt's vision for this game. The amount of issues that have plagued the game has been suprising. From a broken atc on boston sprinter, the bugs and game crashes on BRD and the instability/memory crashes on London Commuter even on current gen consoles which is even more baffling. These issues are still prevalent two months after release. One particular thing I don't understand either is why does it take so long for preservation updates and features that have been completed to be released. For example the rush hour passenger system has been implemented on most of the routes, but they aren't released. Why? Why doesn't matt go to the qa and tell them to qa the work adam's team has done and get the work that has been completed released as soon as possible? He's in charge. They are in a hurry to release new dlc's but not in a hurry to release preserved crew improvements. Instead of saying "we want to change that" they should be telling us why is that the case to begin with. Not to mention there are still bugs like the M7 audio bug on lirr that hasn't been fixed a year after release. Rush hour passengers isn't even on london commuter despite being a key selling point of the route because of the instability of the route to begin with two months after release

The game still doesn't have basic features like full dynamic weather. Yes you have cases in which snow will melt because the temperature in game is above freezing but we still don't have instances where it can change from sunny to cloudy or cloudy to rain dynamically. That would be cool in my opinion. Recent announcements have put somewhat of a sour taste in my mouth such has the new ability to share liveries and scenarios effectively being locked behind a paywall with no reason as to why. The 423 as part of the enhancement pack just being a reskin from the munich s bahn version but without the proper interior which is the same as the DB BR 422, and not getting the full electrified Harlem line.

I want this game to succeed but to be honest dtg has taken too many missteps this year which all began with the hs1 section of SEHS looking like the U.S dropped the atomic bomb on the line making it look like a nucelar wasteland and the route feeling rushed to meet a self imposed deadline. I haven't really played tsw2 much in the past few months and honestly I am hoping things will get better for this game in 2022. Also even though I am not interested in steam, I hope that Spirt Of Steam gets released in a good state and won't become the mess like rush hour became.

• Like Like x 8
  34. Clumsy Pacer

Probably because he's not in charge of QA - they're a separate team. He's in charge of the development and design.

It does, the only issue is it's currently limited to scenarios only.

35. solicitr

I thought that his bump from Senior Producer to Exec Producer made him Grand Poobah of All Things TSW?

• Like Like x 2
  36. tallboy7648

Yeh in the Exec Producer QA stream it gave the impression that he was in charge of the game effectively

37. tallboy7648

I know it's limited to scenarios but that's why I said there isn't FULL dynamic weather in the game since it's not in the timetable mode of the game. It should be a basic feature in the entire game

38. Choo choo

Choo choo Well-Known Member

Until yesterday, I wasn't aware of the issue with AIs not completing instructions properly anymore which results in red signals everywhere. I surprisingly found that out after wasting 30 minutes of my life playing a service on Hamburg-Lubeck before getting stuck behind an AI train, well, forever :)

There was also that gamebreaking issue where AI trains failed to stop for red lights causing a service failure mid way through said service.
    There was also this issue where PS4 players couldn't access most of their DLCs for 1 entire week back when the first rush hour route was released. One. entire. week. 7 days, 168 hours. And it doesn't matter who's fault it was - DTG or Sony's, because my point is that it is ridiculous that these events can happen every so often, and clearly undermined my trust of DTG over the years (these are the most recent and obvious.

As of now, as a PS4 user (I would gladly switch to PS5, but these are on shortage and resell prices are 1000+€ where I live, can't afford that), I can barely enjoy the Munchen-Augsburg route as layering is deactivated - the route feels super empty, yet I paid the full price for it (I don't mind paying more, if I can get more quality - I would gladly pay twice the amount for any content produced fully or partly by TSG). How can that be?

With that said, the only entity in the landscape I do blindly trust is TSG. On the other hand, DTG seems to be more busy with releasing as much content with dubious quality as possible, not to mention recycling and using wrong rolling stock (who remembers the dostos on Hamburg-Lubeck?). The other third parties are not there yet in my opinion, and seems to follow on DTG's footsteps.

How the hell was it allowed to release the BR 187 in that state?

• Like Like x 7
  39. Clumsy Pacer

But the QA team that tests TSW stuff also test the fishing titles and TS1, don't they?

• Like Like x 1
  40. Clumsy Pacer

If a PC or next gen player doesn't have the stuff to make the layers work anyway, would it be fair to charge them more than last gen users for an identical experience just at a higher resolution?

• Like Like x 1
  41. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

TSW often really struggles with the sound implementation. Often the sounds used are decent, but are the wrong volume etc... Rivet of course are the worst offender for this.

• Like Like x 2
  42. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

There’s a few bits in this for me.

I too have become a bit more picky about the dlc I have bought after letting rivet burn me a little and Germany having the same trains on (what is it?) 6-8 routes it seems.

I do have the speed sign issue which has stopped me chasing my last few hours to reach 1000hrs gameplay. I’m fortunate though I have zero performance drops on BML, none on Dresden and Boston seems to be ok timetable wise now. I’ve done at least 8 services on time since the zero signs cropped up.

I have faith in the team at DTG but I dare say there’s been a highly delicate line of commercial growth vs accountants saying “no” vs Matt saying “yes” vs players saying lcan we have?” to balance.

Chuck in our second year of no travel and we’ve all potentially become expectant of the dev team.

I like many picked this game up for realism, long journeys, lots of train variety and functions and there has been things that’s made some of my posts less positive this year. I think we have still had 19 dlcs to choose from though which isn’t bad.

BUT

I’m navigating through this pandemic as you are, as the team are with the economic uncertainty it presents us all and to be fair I’m just thankful I’m still here and I do get to enjoy what I have. I’ll always take more of what I like and others will what they like. Similarly I’ll have the odd chunter about what I don’t but I trust things will level out

• Like Like x 5
  43. Choo choo

Choo choo Well-Known Member

Well, when I do buy German (also to some extent british) rolling stock I expect it to also appear on other routes - which I did when I purchased the said route. So the answer to your question is no - but then you have to maybe be a little more transparent with what you are selling to old gen users :)

44. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

You can be on time on Boston now. Yes, with the safety systems on.

45. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Depends on the service and mostly from Providence to Boston. Boston to Providence services still get slowed down ro 30MPH most of the time.

• Like Like x 6
  46. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I arrived early to Prov with safety systems enabled.

47. zzw1983

zzw1983 Well-Known Member

If you don't buy from them.
    Or you refund unsatisfactory content.
    Then they will cease rushing out substandard product.
    All in the name of "keeping a deadline".
    There is no deadline if there are no customers.
    Give yourselves a deadline to part with your cash.
    "Not until it's fixed".
    ;)

• Like Like x 14
  48. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Crunch for me will be what sort of discounts are served up in the Xmas sale, to keep my interest. Have been back on Snowrunner the last couple of evenings and currently watching Season 2 of The Witcher has compelled me to reinstall Witcher 3 and have another attempt at getting Gerallt past the cave level where I keep getting killed!

49. Clumsy Pacer

Everyone always says that but then they buy the thing anyway. What message does that send? Also, a few people on a forum refunding products is hardly going to make them thing "ooh, better make sure we up the standards" - you realise that needs to happen on a huge scale, right?

Everything will sell loads of copies regardless of its quality.

• Like Like x 3
  50. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I think they just don’t have enough people working on the core tech for the game. That accounts for the vast majority of the issues there are that really affect the playability and stability of it. There’s evidence for that every time a new feature comes out that doesn’t quite work well enough or promised features like the rush hour passengers and full Bakerloo timetable that can’t happen because we are told in the streams that there needs to be more development of the core tech to allow it. The development of the core tech doesn’t keep up with the pace of Matt’s ambitions for the content, or that which is actually made.

• Like Like x 7