Does Santa Like Trains??? (and Ts Of Course)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by westcastlerail, Dec 24, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

Hopefully this year he will be bringing the JT Midland mainline for TS. (If I’m not on the naughty list)

It’s another Christmas Eve and got that excited feeling in anticipation of Santa arriving with something train related!

Was thinking there has not been many Christmas Days over the (many) years, when he’s hasn’t brought me something train related.

From my magic of opening my first Hornby HST Model railway set as youngster, lots of books, DVD and even a Train Quiz game, Gift vouchers for Steam train rides and a PC to run TS a few years back, and now TS content hopefully this year.

I believe Santa must like trains!

Anyone else remember there first train Santa train related Present and what are you hoping for this year?

Merry Christmas to everyone in TS land.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

My first train related Christmas Present was a Lego Train Set back in 1972!

This year I’m hoping for the ‘Secret London’ book that accompanies the. London Transport Museum’s YouTube series.

Found a link to the Lego. It was quite basic back then.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=171-1#T=S&O={%22iconly%22:0}

3. snapnfix

snapnfix Member

This reminds me a bit of the "Why do vampires hate garlic?" joke. "They don't. You've got to exist to hate garlic."

My first memory of Santa liking trains was the arrival of a Triang Battlespace bomb wagon one Christmas. Those Battlespace trainsets were fun: flying satellites, exploding wagons, working searchlights etc. Why aren't they in TS?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Because of what the game is called - Train Simulator

Try this for £1.99
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/222621/The_Holiday_Express/

5. westcastlerail

Forgot about the Lego trains sets.
    This is the one I got
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lego-Vin...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

According to eBay, If it’s now worth over £200. Might get it out of the loft and sell it. Imagine how much TS DLC I could buy with that in the various Xmas Sales!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Will a model train do?

7. westcastlerail

Definitely!

Ive had plenty of model trains … you can see my first grown up layout with Digital model trains on YouTube.
    In the process of building a new one (still in progress after 2 years) but feel I have been priced out of the hobby (trains can be well north of £200.00 now).

I definitely prefer playing TS now to my model railway.. I know a lot of people complain about the cost of DLC, but for me the DLC is favourable when compared to the cost of model trains!

Hope Santa has been kind to everyone?

8. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I used to have a model railway in my youth, and toyed with the idea of making one anew in adulthood.

Various reasons stopped this: lack of time, space, but mainly skill and the fact that it’s the experience of operating that appeals to me most, not the craftsmanship of building (which I lack).

Thus a model is necessarily limited because of the space typically available: one author on operation for model railways pushed the Edwardian era branch line, as that was about the only thing that could realistically be portrayed as a model (smaller stations, coaches, etc).

The modern era is more my cup of tea, hence the delight in finding TS: hundreds of miles of railway and unlimited ‘adventures’ (aka scenarios) that allows me to experience the realism of train operations in a way that a model never can.

(Discovering TS also cured me of my ‘hobby’ of purchasing model railway magazines and marvelling at what people do: it’s come on a long way since your big standard DC controller!)

• Like Like x 1