Has Anyone Played Train Sim On A Train?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by mike.obrebski, Dec 24, 2021.

1. mike.obrebski

mike.obrebski Active Member

I remembered that some years ago, I ran the Microsoft Train Sim on the Acela from NY to Baltimore, and played the Acela route I was on, while on the route. Worked fine on my laptop. Was interesting to see if I could synchronize it.

Anyone ever sim a train while on it? Wonder how correct the timings would turn out.

2. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago I have tried two runs (there and back) in DRA in a train running on DRA. Was fun, although I have been beaten both times. To Riesa because Talent 2 was replaced by Dostos with no power sockets, so my notebook was running slower than real-time with many stutters, to Dresden, because back then the update wasn't out that fixed RE50s getting stuck behind slow S1s. Thoroughly enjoyed it and definitely would like to try again one day.

3. pacificorca#1435

pacificorca#1435 Active Member

You know, the thought hasn't occurred to me to try because while my laptop can and does certainly handle TSW, it tends to get pretty loud and hot. I am taking an NEC train in a couple days, I'll report back in if I manage to get TSW up and running.

• Like Like x 1
  4. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Are they the exact ones we have in the game with VVO Decals on the sides. If you do Main Spessart Bahn in this way the real life Doppelstockwagen have Bahnland Bayern RMV Stickers on the sides. Absent in Game

5. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're using the VVO ones if they need to replace a Talent 2 on RE50, so those markings are correct there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

7. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

This reminds me of an advert for Gran Turismo PSP, where the passenger is driven around Laguna Seca Raceway while driving on the track in the game.

8. mike.obrebski

mike.obrebski Active Member

Ha. I wonder how much of that Gran Turismo ad was really executed. It's certainly possible, but you can't actually film another video screen without without refresh rate sync blinking, so I don't believe it's ever done.
    But it's a fun suggestion.
    Many years ago, played an Indy racing computer game so did hours on the same track practicing and racing. I tried to test my memorization.. and closed my eyes, started a stopwatch and rans through the Long Beach Indy track in my imagination.. Upon finishing was only a couple seconds off my ~1:30 real times. Pro race drivers do those kinds of visualizations for preparation.

Yea, haven't tried TSW on Mac laptop.. no need now. But the MS sim worked fine on macbook pro.

9. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Considering the lack of the HUD in the game, it was either faked or used a debug menu to get rid of it.