Headlight Brightness

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by InvincibleSnowman, Dec 22, 2021.

1. InvincibleSnowman

InvincibleSnowman New Member

Recently, I played a service in London Brighton at night and it really helped me realize why I don’t enjoy night services that much and barely play them. When playing, it was very dark and the headlights are very dim. I could not see anything that was in front of me so I was basically driving while blind. This is not in just in London Brighton, this is in many other routes that I have. The BR 406 is another example of the headlights basically being nonexistent. Could the headlights be bright enough to see the track and things in front of you?

2. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

From what I know, American railways are the only ones to use headlights to light up the tracks.

The other countries represented in TSW2 use lights to make the trains visible to pedestrians and motorists.
    So while dim headlights are fine for some routes, I find it annoying that all locomotive headlights are rather dim.

3. diamondderp

diamondderp Guest

They are indeed dimmer as what JGRudnick says. But I do find the lights of the Nahverkehr very bright... not sure if it's also in real life that bright...

4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

That‘s far too general. In the past, that was true for pretty much all of Europe, yes. Today though, locos are equipped with marker lights (which don‘t light up the tracks) and proper headlights (which do light up the tracks as that‘s what they‘re intended for).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

The headlight on Nahverker Dresden are prototypical beams of light coming from the locos and EMUs. The German cab videos I’ve watched over the past couple of years show visible beams of light coming from the train that the train driver is operating. On routes like clinchfield however, the headlights hardly light up the track in front of you like in reality, they can be seen for miles ahead of the train. The only USA routes that have this level of projection are LIRR and Boston Sprinter. British trains headlights are hardly any brighter than a cars headlights. They’re that dim!