Dtg Should Extend The Length Of The Upcoming Harlem Line To Southeast.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SgtBreadSt1ck, Dec 2, 2021.

1. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

Bro, I wouldn't hold my breath. If their past American releases are any indication, you know they do an injustice when it comes to proper American Pax content for the most part. And constantly being given excuses as to why we're given shorter routes when others are given more sensible experiences. Then to top it off, it’s being co-signed.

I personally ain’t really buying the whole scenery thing, because for one it can be done without putting in too much. Just gotta know how to place them to make it look dense enough. Besides, this is just TSW. You can’t venture far from the track/player train anyways.

Let’s also not forget much of the dense scenery will be nearly scarce, or nonexistent where the player is unable to see past/through. Like tunnels, tall structures.

I know this is a TSW post/thread. But I stress how annoying it is seeing a long-requested piece of content to a title where it currently doesn’t have the amount of content, usage, or that great of a replay factor, instead of a more established title where it would have been way more useful.

Too many times for my liking has this happened.
    1. LIRR (could have filled that whole in Penn station in TS)
    2. Amfleet metro Cab car (could have and should have been supplied with the NEC original and heavily outdated, or the New Haven Section which has been a thing)
    3. M3 (something still waiting to see in TS for both MNR and LIRR)
    4. NEC aka Boston Sprinter (which they pulled a TS BALWAS move on), but still need the whole BOS-NHV section.

And now this. This really blows my mind because there isn’t even a P32 consist that could have given and provided more versatility in service patterns at least on the part leading up to the New Haven section.

I probably repeated some or most of this. But these things and the decisions behind them leave me so jaded. As much as I have supported the devs, and even learned to lower my expectations, I find myself having to learn how to lower them even more.

As a consumer, you’d like something close to 100%. But get anywhere from 50-75, if we’re lucky. And when you get used to having that percentage. We are made to expect less over time.
    Sort of the same deal like how Apple packages content in their products and makes ask pay for bits you used to normally be supplied with by default.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I honestly wonder if they'll use scenery excuses 5 years down the line as to why routes are short? At that point that will be a cheap excuse About the p32, that train only operates shuttle services on the Harlem line north of southeast to wassaic. The p32s that would run on the hudson and new haven lines would only stop at Harlem 125 street. The p32s on the new haven line after 125 would run express to stamford and the p32s on the hudson line would split off right after crossing the bridge heading into The Bronx so there would really be no point in adding a P32 for this route at all since it couldn't be fully utilized

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

You could pretty much say the same for this route...if we're being honest.

• Like Like x 2
  4. mike.obrebski

mike.obrebski Active Member

I'm finding that the DLC are a bit short on content, yet high in quantity. From the routes and trains I've run, I've enjoyed the modeling and the scenery, so I'm satisfied with the quality. What bugs me if the limited content and especially more utilization of the tracks for more scenarios. LIRR has tracks and whole yards that are advertised, yet completely inaccessible. It's the same with Boston. Why are assets modeled that cannot be used? Why are you moving on to new content, instead of enabling more gameplay on existing DLCs?
    The strategy on paid DLCs with just enough content to sell and move on to the next one, is bothersome. Put more effort into quantity of content with each DLC. I hope it's not the case, but it seems greedy and driven by sales quantity of new DLCs, instead of customer retention. It's taking your customers for granted and treating us like cash cows.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the Metro-North schedule because Harlem Line is supposed to get Express P32ac dm Wassaic Southeast Grand Central Terminal by running express on the 1914 Phase I 3rd rail North White Plains Grand Central terminal electrification Phase II 1983 electrification North White Plains Southeast Brewster

6. malikrthr

malikrthr Well-Known Member

Right, from my understanding, after viewing a timetable, I believe the P32AC-DM may not be included as for the section of the route being created, it would only make station stops at GCT, Harlem-125th st, White Plains, and North White Plains. After North White Plains, for the most part, the P32AC-DM runs as a local but in some instances, can also run as a semi express to Wassaic

7. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

A number of the high speed trains in TSW only make one or two stops, the HST on Great Western Express and the ICE 3 on Köln - Aachen come to mind as prime examples. It making only a handful of station stops won't be a deciding factor here if it wasn't in those cases.

8. derailed#9363

derailed#9363 Member

All I can say to everyone is, make your stance be known by voting with your wallet. I won't be giving money to DTG for this route. if it was the full 52 miles I would buy it.

• Like Like x 4
  9. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Is this honestly still rumbling along? They've said it's not being extended. Surely time to put this one to bed, save some energy for when it releases, you still buy it and still berate it....:|

• Like Like x 6
  10. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Agree DTG have read and acknowledged our feedback. Doesn't seem like it's going to be acted on, which is their prerogative and if their research says what they are doing will sell enough to make it profitable then who are we to argue and repeating ourselves isn't going to change matters.

• Like Like x 1
  11. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

When DTG decide upon a route DLC, they calculate how much they can spend on it and how much time they have. They then do what they can. Sometimes (as with Track 3 on Sherman Hill, or the Flughafen branch on Dresden) they overestimate what's do-able within those constraints. Plainly, running the Harlem line all the way to Southeast would have been too big a project for the available labor and time budget.

In any event, it's too late to complain now: by the time a route has been publicly announced, it's too late to change it except for details.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

There are arguably one or two cases where it may have. The addition of a branch line in Dresden and changes to SEHS, for example.

I think we should continue to whine, complain and cajole developers into making changes that we wish for. We want to keep them on their toes and not become complacent, thinking that we are satisfied when we're not.

• Like Like x 3
  13. redrev1917

14. solicitr

There's a difference between some quick cosmetic changes like fencing, or belatedly completing a branch that was already almost finished, and doubling the length of a route.

• Like Like x 2
  15. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

My own guessing is, that the bugs with the current lirr m7 are not as easy to solve.

With the harlem line dtg can monetize the work with a new route, create the m3a & m7a, and its highly possible they gonna fix the current stock. Maybe its a simugraph problem, not a sound problem that the rear bogies are silent.

I wrote down my opinion about choosing a route in relation to its service termini points, so with this route my focus is on the promising rolling stock.

16. MrbKlegend89

MrbKlegend89 Well-Known Member

They probably gon copy and paste the M3 and 7 and jus put a blue livery and call it a day..

17. redrev1917

I've that happens (which I don't think it will) I'll be booking the day off, grabbing the biggest bucket of popcorn imaginable and sit spending the day watching the forums meltdown.

• Like Like x 11
  18. chieflongshin

I’ll be honest I just find the m7 a repackaged 377,387. Yes I know their a continent apart and substantially different whilst being the same…(souless)

• Like Like x 1
  19. solicitr

Well, credit where credit is due, the German locos in DRA and the Electrostars in Brighton were substantially overhauled and improved.

• Like Like x 2
  20. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

While I do actually agree with you in that the M7's and the Electrostars are very similar to each other, I'm not entirely sure if I'd call them soul-less... They are the workhorses for their respective TOC's for over 2 decades, with plenty of experience under their belt.
    Sure these are EMU's and you just don't get that same roaring, thumping feeling in your chest with a diesel engine behind you. But you certainly still get that intimate feeling of riding the rails.

Ask any daily LIRR commuter about the M7's, and I guarantee someone will mention how much noise they make. Especially when jostling through a crossing or an interlocking, all that squeaking and the (very) bouncy suspension. Or perhaps the iconic sound of the motors as the train accelerates to speed. Of course there's also that striking black and yellow paint scheme on the front that sets it apart from any other locos in the U.S.
    They're loud, and arguably have a bit of a unique personality to them.

The only reason why they might be perceived as soul-less is because much of that experience just isn't fully replicated in TSW. If you'd never ridden on one in the real world, than I can absolutely understand your statement.
    Much like how solicitr mentioned above, DTG had substantially overhauled and improved the trains in Rush Hour compared to their older versions. Thus perhaps maybe they can continue this trend and overhaul their version of the M7's as well, and hopefully give them just a little more soul. :D

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

So True, not even the M7 for LIRR can produce the real experience of the train rumbling, jostling, swaying back and forth, screeching when going through the junction or switching track, or turning through a curve. They did somewhat try to replicate the feeling but is still not the best, hopefully, they can improve the train sound by next year, which I really do hope so.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I am just so excited that we are finally getting a Metro-North route, although how will the engine turn out? Would the Train sound be realistic such as when going turning through a curve, crossing bridges, city noise, realistic track sound when train diverging onto another track or crossing a junction, the screeching sound when coming to a sudden stop? How would the night ambient look like as well especially in a city?

• Like Like x 1
  23. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

Actually now im understanding why its up to NWP, but tbh im wondering if theres another reason like possible console limitations with services or there is something else

24. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

Same

25. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I hope that everything will be spot on, and amazing especially the grand central terminal and train sound, engine, propulsion and with realistic track noise such as screeching, turning through the curve, clickely clack, going over the bronx bridge, over junction and realistic loud horn and bell noise such as you can see in this video and Also the headlight have to bright especially when it get towards night in the front and on the side where the first cab window is at.

Time Stamp: 47:12 Bright Headlight and light on all front cab window corner
    Time stamp: 43:07 I think i saw light on the bottom of the train in the corner side.

Time stamp: 31:07

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  26. chieflongshin

27. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Thats a big let down, i really do want to walk around the massive grand central terminal. :( Hopefully they will reconsider, or bring it once, we have another Metro North Route, which i am doing hoping, cause there are not lots of American Passenger Route in Game Still :(

28. cali100001

cali100001 Member

I hope DTG feels the wrath of this thread

• Like Like x 1
  29. meridian#2659

I support an extension to southeast, but ill get this one as it is too.

Grand central is nice, but we cant explore waterloo, marylebone or charing cross either on the bakerloo line.

30. solicitr

This isn't Train Station Sim World......

• Like Like x 2
  31. solicitr

Or walk from the train hall to the Tube platforms at Paddington

32. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

But wouldn't it be cool, if you can start from the train hall or corridor and look at the time schedule displayed on the big screen before departing your train. Other games that are not related to the Train game are able to do it such as the new Spider Man for PS 4, which was able to recreate the grand central terminal in their game.
    Is it really hard to create this, when other games can do it?

That would be an amazing sight to see and isn't that what realistic train conductors do before they get on board their train. This will add a better fun atmosphere and environment and bring the game more realistic, which I do really want to see.

• Like Like x 1
  33. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

I also want to voice some concerns over skipping the modeling of Grand Central. I thoroughly believe that this would be a massive missed opportunity. I understand that this is a game about driving trains, but it encourages exploration of the railways too.
    Forgoing the main concourse of Grand Central very much goes against the concept of getting up and walking around in the game world. What's the point if there's going to be barely anything to explore???

This is Grand Central we are talking about. Not only is it a major railroading icon, it is a world-famous landmark that is very recognizable. And we are supposed to only get the dingy platforms???
    Again, this would be a massive missed opportunity for providing something truly unique in Train Sim World. I understand its a large undertaking, but it would also be well worth it in my opinion. Whos to say that this couldn't be used as another major selling point for the route?
    I at least hope that they at least give us a little more to explore than just the platforms.

• Like Like x 3
  34. driverwoods#1787

Exactly and for DTG they can look at actual GCT lobby pictures and upper platforms are directly connected to the main concourse passageways lower platforms & future LIRR Subway

35. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I am willing to give the team what they want in order to build the grand central. I am sure many of us here in NY, would be willing to give any resource that the team would need to build the Grand Central terminal.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. driverwoods#1787

That will be a great help to the development team

37. meridian#2659

Since tsw2 has a lot around the driving experience itself i can understand this topic kind of. There are collectables which require exploring the route on foot, so why not modeling a nice station interior.

If they gonna do it, it will be the last thing getting added, means when there is plenty of time left, which is not the case mostly.

• Like Like x 1
  38. cali100001

cali100001 Member

Let's hope, HOPE that DTG programs the M3As to lose HVAC power and cabin lights when switching tracks (where there's no third rail). Absolute recipe of the classic Metro-North. Approaching and leaving Grand Central Terminal will be so fun and realistic, trust me! southeastaswell

P32, Dovetail Games. P32.

39. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I'm hard pressed to think of any examples of DTG modeling booking halls, concourses, station malls or shoe shine stands in either of their franchises. I suspect that they assume ( probably correctly ) that most players are more interested in driving in and out of termini, making Victoria, Dresden and Boston South, for example, very dreary and uninviting places to arrive at. :(
    GCT will continue this practice, unfortunately. Maybe some day......

Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  40. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’d like to see more interior spaces and not only stations but the inside of train sheds and the like so I understand the call for it. Big stations would be tricky though because they are usually big complex assets already with lots of trackwork and that and the platform scenery will take up a lot of resources already (computer resources) so adding another big complex space with all the detail and the collisions to allow players to walk through would either require a lot of optimisation work or just wouldn’t be possible without grinding the game to a stop.

Even if it was possible the added human resources would have to be taken away from building more along the whole track. In this instance you may get the big grand station but the route would be even shorter than it is now. DTG build their routes to budgets and I’m sure more people would prefer longer routes over more detail like station interiors. Unfortunately, we can’t have both.

• Like Like x 4
  41. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

This is something I have never understood in flight simulations and now TSW2 - the creation of the interiors of the airports and now train stations. - Especially when people are screaming about optimization - frame rates, the level of required hardware to run, requesting more realism in the engine/car performance and wanting but prototypical systems in all the locomotives - why would anyone want the inside of a terminal that can not be seen from track-side to be fully developed?

It seems all the rage in MSFS to have the interiors of the Terminals fully fleshed out and in some case animated and then people complain about the performance at that airport. If the station interior is integral to the activity of boarding the train, then I am all for it, but to be able to walk in from the street to the ticketing booth, then to the proper departure track would be overkill.

If such development could be a no cost with respect to development time, processor power, performance or quality to the rest of the route then sure - but we all know that is fantasy.

• Like Like x 10
  42. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Video of the M3A and M7A, Looking forward to it. :) Just hope that they got all the train sound propulsion, horn, track sounds headlight, scenery and assets right, and the sky just like the real route

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022
  43. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

44. redrev1917

+1 from me, if I cant see it from the Cab then I dont care what it looks like if I am perfectly honest.

45. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

If only they can extend it to the southeast but maybe in the future, when that happens, I can't wait. :cool::D

46. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

I wonder what is the team going to do with all the other train lines such as the Hudson, New Haven AI train since they are going on the same path as the Harlem Line? :cool:

47. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I agree but tsw is a game that has collectables and encourages exploration. I collect collectables which I find fun. There are people that like to simply walk around stations and explore routes. That might be something that you or other players don't do but for people who like to explore routes, it's understandable why some may not be pleased with their decision since they would've liked to explore more of grand central. I'm lucky that I have to go to grand central alot to get a train when I want to leave the the city and head upstate. It really is beautiful.

Personally I'm not suprised since I wasn't expecting dtg to model the entire interior of Grand Central Terminal. This is the same company that didn't put gatwick express advertising at the GX platforms at London Victoria that's there in real life. But if tsw2 is a game that effectively encourages exploration, then it would be nice if dtg could model interiors of stations.

Now people can argue that this is mainly a game to drive trains. But then what is the point of having collectables and allowing players to walk along routes, stations and through the train effectively encouraging exploration then?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  48. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

True, and I was just shocked that they can't even do the whole interior of the grand central terminal to explore, when I saw the video of the Harlem Line, they usually terminate their train on the ground level which really looks close to the terminal for Amtrak at Penn Station, which Shouldn't be that hard to create; there nothing interested at the bottom of the hall, compared to the upstairs where people exit into the great grand central hall. They could just have built the grand central terminal hall completely, in order to make out the fact that this line is not extended to SouthEast. It's just crazy how the new spiderman game for ps4 was able to while they can't.

• Like Like x 1
  49. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

Also in terms of the London terminal station at London Victoria, you can actually see the front of the terminal station without any problem where people are coming in and boarding and deboarding the train. Now in the case of the grand central terminal, you won't be able to, because you are on the ground level, which is nothing interesting at all; This is why still they should do the whole interior of the grand central terminal minus the corridor inside the grand central terminal which includes the NYC subway side. All i am asking is the main hall of grand central terminal for the top and bottom where Metro Train are

50. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

How many timetables do you think they are going to make? Hopefully, a lot, which also includes the weekend schedule as well