Possibly Stupid Question Regarding Layers In Explore On Foot Mode

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by theorganist, Dec 26, 2021.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have only just started "playing" TSW again due to the hard drive failing on my PC six months ago. I have missed a lot so it seems.

I do have a question regarding layers.

I know for example on the WSR in timetable mode I can choose whatever loco to drive to which is layered onto the route.

However my question is, when you choose the explore on foot option is there any way to choose which trains are layered onto the route, I can't see anything so I assume not?

I just fired up WSR in explore on foot mode and whilst it was lovely to see Minehead populated with several loco's, they were all dirty blue loco's from NTP dotted around, and did somewhat ruin the immersion of what a visit to a preserved railway diesel gala would be like!

I am interested in purchasing the Cornish route despite some reservations, but I do not particularly want to see a class 40 or 45 appear with a rake of blue/grey mark 2's. It would be nice, however to be able to select the class 101 to appear alongside the default stock for the route.

Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
  2. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

You can't select what gets layered in (other than uninstalling). DTG are working on a way to turn layers on/off to fix an issue on PlayStation which will probably come to PC. Glad your playing again :)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. theorganist

Thanks for your reply, yes it is good to be playing again. I have just acquired the Cathcart Circle and London to Brighton they both seem excellent, the class 313 seems very good too. The West Cornwall route looks nice as does the class 150 but watching some videos on Youtube there are sounds missing, I am certain the St. Ives branch would be jointed track in the early 1990's, there seems to be no track joints sounds with the class 150, I guess that has been covered here I shall go and search.

Glad to hear DTG are working on selecting layers, I love the concept of layers and having more variety but as a bit of a stick in the mud purist (as far as you can be with TSW) seeing something I know to be wholly unrealistic appearing is a step to far for me. Explore on foot is something I do love doing too.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Wolfovizer

There both very good routes, I'm sure you'll enjoy them :)

That's been widely discussed on here, I don't know the train myself but it's being talked about like the 101 on GWE

There is a live stream on the 29th December (8pm GMT on YouTube & Twitch) about the state of the game and I'm sure this will be bought up as an early question :) EDIT: Matt wasn't well recently so might not be happening but no announcement saying it's not happening so far :)

This is an explanation as to why the layers are being looked into if you weren't aware :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  5. theorganist

Thanks for that, I shall watch the stream with interest.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

You're correct that the 150 is missing sounds. It also accelerates like an EMU, with immediate acceleration. Instead of the slow pull away you typically get with a 150.

Otherwise the route isn't so bad, but some era mixing has occured.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. theorganist

Okay thanks, that is disappointing to read about the class 150. The route looks good in the streams.

8. Wolfovizer

This is an explanation as to why the layers are being looked into if you weren't aware :)

• Like Like x 1