Pylons And Transmisison Lines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by inversnecky, Dec 27, 2021.

Tags:
?
  1. Definitely

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Couldn't care less

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. inversnecky

inversnecky Well-Known Member

I've always liked pylons, for some reason, and it's great to see them rendered in TS routes. However the rendition of the actual transmission lines between them is a bit hit or miss.

Many routes (older ones, perhaps?) don't bother with the lines at all: while this can be gotten away with in the distance, it just looks rather weird at a proximity where they should be easily visible.

Many other routes include the lines, of course, but in every case that I've seen, the lines are stretched taut between the towers, and do not sag along their length, as you see in real life. Maybe this matters not a jot to those who don't tend to give pylons a second thought, but it would improve the realism of the game with the sagging adding to that sense of dimension.

I'm wondering why this is - presumably it's easy of programming: draw a straight line of x width between two points. But would accurate rendition of the natural sagging of lines be too hard to build into routes? (One for the route builders here!)

20211227125730_1.jpg 20211227125808_1.jpg 20211227150741_1.jpg 20211227150808_1.jpg

2. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

They're better taught than not at all in my opinion...

Eric

3. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

If you zoom in, you'll notice most power lines/telegraph lines do have sagging wires/cables, although they are perhaps a bit too taught still.

In the editor they are laid by selecting the wire type corresponding to their pylon size, and linked by clicking on their securing points on either end between two pylons, similar to newer style OHLE placement. Usually the wires appear more taught the further the pylons are apart.
    20211227184943_1.jpg