Cathcart Electrics Pack: Class 318/320

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by tardisgaming07, Dec 28, 2021.

?

Would you like this DLC?

This poll will close on Dec 28, 2031 at 1:14 AM.
  1. Yes

92.3%
  2. Add a Class 380

26.9%
  3. No

3.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

This pack would include 2 units which are used frequently not only on Cathcart Circle services, but also a lot of other services out of Glasgow Central, which would make the station less empty during the day as well as giving extra ECS moves from Shields depot.

Class 320
    upload_2021-12-28_1-12-52.jpeg

Something people may not be aware of is that there is 2 subclasses of 320, with 22 units forming the Class 320/3 which is capable of 90mph, and 20 Ex 321/4 forming the Class 320/4, being capable of 100mph due to their conversion from 321’s. Some of these converted units, namely 320411, 412 and 416 retained their London Midland livery for a short period after conversion. All 42 sets are 3 carriages long and have an acceleration of 1.2 mph/s. They can also work in multiple with Class 318’s.

Class 318
    upload_2021-12-28_1-10-22.jpeg

Built with a gangway connection at the cab front originally, these units usually work in pairs with themselves or Class 320’s, and are most commonly seen on services through the Low Level lines, but can occasionally be seen working services from the high level to Newton, Neilston and Wemyss Bay. They have a top speed of 90mph and an acceleration of 1.3mph/s. In 2005 - 2007, they were given a new cab front design to improve the driver’s visibility.

• Like Like x 6
  2. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

Very nice if this was available I would definitely buy this gorgeous add on

3. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I like the look of the 320.

4. bdlhouston#8691

bdlhouston#8691 Well-Known Member

Both are very similar in terms of appearance to the class 314, personally i would take out the 318 and add the 380, then we would have something older, and something more modern

5. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

I voted no because these would be better as layers. I think trainsimplayer would be able to explain in more detail than me.

6. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

In conbination with an extension i would say yes.

I suggested the paisley canal line on rivets forum. Its from glasgow central to paisley canal.

Track runs along the way to the shields depot, and where the current map ends is almost the first station dumbreck.

Since glasgow central is empty and the other lines run in other directions, an extension of the map & the scotrail stock would be a nice thing

• Like Like x 1
  7. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

They would be a layer in the timetable…

8. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

That's not what a layer is. A layer is a train which is from route [x] and is playable on route [y], and adds services to a route that weren't there. (Substitution is a layer, but onto a service that already exists)

The difference between that and a layer is that this Pack's "home route" would be this route (Cathcart).

Quick note here as well: The Paisley Canal Line and Cathcart Circle line do not go together.

The track to the depot isn't the Cathcart Circle - it's the Up/Down Ayr(shire) tracks, and is served by the Inverclyde Line and Ayrshire Coast Line, with the Paisley Canal diverging.

For it to be an "extension" to Cathcart, it would therefore have to be in the same era (~2014), and that would mean it would be the Class 314 only. There aren't enough Class 314s to run the Cathcart Circle in game as things stand, so this would have to be a seperate route.

Also, the Cathcart Circle is a (mostly) self-contained network anyway, with the Glasgow Southwestern sharing tracks briefly outside of Glasgow.

Do I have to do this again :)

Thanks for the ping, I can explain why relatively easily;

No. The 320 & 318 are both secondary on this route, no matter how you put it.
    If the pack is set in 2017 (compared to GCC's 2014), the 380 and 314 are joint 1st, the 318 and 320 a distant last.
    If it's 2014, the 320 and 318 are rare, with the 320 being found towards Newton now and again.
    If it's backdated - not a chance.

The layering idea is simple - get a route where the 320 & 318 are principle units. Every train on ScotRail has a route you could call it's "home", where it runs most to all services.

For example,
    The 314, it was Cathcart and Inverclyde
    380 - Inverclyde and Ayrshire.
    320 & 318? The Argyle Line.

If the 320 & 318 were made for that route, they could then come back to Cathcart and populate the route (a sensible solution considering the Argyle Line runs to both Glasgow Central (High Level) and Newton), and you could also get a good amount out of the trains, and the max. value for money.

I'm always torn on these.
    My view on the layering makes me say No.
    My love of ScotRail makes me say Yes, as does my desire to see more Scottish Content.

Do I think loco DLCs (set in modern times) are a good way of doing this? No.
    Do I think Cathcart is even the right route for the stock? No - I genuinely get bored of Cathcart now (shock).

However, the locos are really nice, and would be great to have in game, just... Not here.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

I'll just quote you next time :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

You are absolutly right, cathcart as it is now is kind of stuck in 2015 with its class 314.

Still from a perspective, it seems with trainsim world we should think a step ahead than in the usual "ts classic rails".

Scotrail had a lot of vehicle changes between 2008 and 2020, while the area didnt change drasticly in that period of time.

Lets just say as an asumption:

A dev invests the money in creating a certain amount of the scotrail network around the glasgow area with not just cathcart, but also different other lines.

With the available vehicles they could sell period based timetable dlcs which i doubt it would bore people.

You could buy a 2008 timetable, a 2015 timetable etc.

Of course it depends on a loco addon etc, but this way the potential of the scenery is used.

Its too early now i guess because the amount of loco dlcs is missing in terms of variety.

But short term right now devs spen 8-9 months on a route, and move to the next route after release. I call this a waste of ressources.

Especially the scothrail network with a lot of vehicle changes in a short time, should be extended with focus on timetable dlcs.

Im sure if tsw survives next 5-10years, the development process of content will have changed compared to today.

The way routes are setup today is nessecary until the amount of rolling stock is available.

Thats why german routes are "most improved" when it comes to sharing developed content to creating an experience.

So at the bottom of the line, yes we need those locos suggested in this thread!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. trainsimplayer

Yes, but not on Cathcart as a DLC. Make the Argyle Line - the primary route of both trains - layer them in to Cathcart, and you get the most out of them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

This is simpler than people seem to be making it.

Make the new trains with a route that they HAVE populated, then make an updated timetable on Cathcart that uses them rather than subbing them in. Of course as an AI only layer they could populate some of the other lines coming out of GQS, but they don't need to be drivable as such (similar to what DTG did with the 465 out of Victoria on BML)

• Like Like x 3
  13. trainsimplayer

My point exactly. And probably explained clearer as well.

• Like Like x 1
  14. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

Whilst it would be nice I don't think we will see anything more from Cathcart. It felt more of a stop gap whilst we waited for the rush hour routes.

• Like Like x 2
  15. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Absolutely Needed because this will give Cathcart a Rush hour feel

• Like Like x 1
  16. trainsimplayer

Barely.

• Like Like x 3