Layers On London Commuter For Old Gen Consoles

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by elaineedwards2013, Dec 27, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    11.8%
  3. No

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. elaineedwards2013

elaineedwards2013 Well-Known Member

We know that the layers for London Commuter weren’t able to be put in for the old gen consoles. However, they may come in the future. I don’t know.

But if there were able to withstand the layers, would you want them in the route for old gen consoles (Xbox One, PS4, etc)?

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I was on Xbox One until Saturday, and now I'm on Series X.

I've spent a fair amount of time (alongside playing a few other titles) playing BML, with all the layers, and it runs really, really smooth - that's with all the layers bar one (The 08/09 at Brighton), on Series X.

On Xbox one, however, I couldn't ever get into Victoria without a crash, and going out was stuttering like hell. Victoria's approach with the 377, 465, 387 and 377 would probably end up making the route - quite literally - unplayable.

I'm still - despite a lack of interest in playing the old version - supportive of last-gen getting as much as possible, but this may be beyond it's reach, I'm afraid.

3. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

Definitely yes. And the same for München Augsburg. And I could accept if the timetable for last gen would be shorter than at nextgen to make it possible.

4. elaineedwards2013

elaineedwards2013 Well-Known Member

Good point

• Like Like x 1
  5. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I would like to see last gen players get those layers , but I don’t see how it’s possible . The route crashes enough without the layers , if the layers were added it would be hell on earth . But maybe there will be a way for those layers to be added

6. docsnyder1911

It's a question of software optimization. There is a lot possible. It's mainly a question of more development efforts.

7. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

I totally agree, but I think as more people upgrade to Next Generation consoles, most games will ievitably end support for the last generation consoles.

We are currently in the transitional period of last generation and next generation. Until around 75% of the general population acquires a next generation console, we will see support for last generation consoles go still pretty strong. But keep in mind given a few more years to pass, last generation will inevitably be left behind as with the Xbox 360 predecessor. Same can apply for the PS4. Although I know DTG have stated that they have no plans for retiring the last generation of TSW 2. I highly doubt this will stick in a few years from now. As we get more routes that could be longer with more details and more routes with more trains last generation will be hard to keep up with, due to hardware issues and crashing that is inevitable.

Long story short, right now last generation consoles will still be supported. But it's inevitable, they will most likely lose this support in the next 5 years. Not only that but we all saw how 2 out of the 3 RH routes were performing terribly on last generation consoles as is. This is likely to continue unless DTG finds a compromise to help share the details of the route with the amount of RAM that can run before the system crashes. Unfortunately this might mean on the PS5, Xbox Series X|S and PC will see less details and shorter routes to help compromise for the last generation consoles amd make the gap between generations small. This is unfortunate given the shear power of the next generation consoles to handle more longer routes and more trains at the same time without crashing or running out of memory. But this is my speculation and what I think is going to happen in the future.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  8. docsnyder1911

I think the problem with that polls is, that the last gen players like us are unterrepresented at that forum. Otherwise that polls should have more last gen positive results. Background is that the majority of the TSW players are on consoles. And among them the last gen is in the overwhelming majority, because of the next gen offer shortness. Otherwise a lot of poll results anf go in the direction "It's not possible for last gen. And concentrate at next gen".

9. docsnyder1911

I think even by supporting last gen DTG could improve the game for next gen. So they could make bigger timetables for next gen, higher resolution of train models and landscapes, more passengers for next gen.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  10. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if any trains stop at Balcombe, Salford's, earlswood, on the BML services? I'm yet to find any.