I Would Like Some Uk Route Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blazinlet#6971, Dec 29, 2021.

1. blazinlet#6971

blazinlet#6971 Member

Hi! I would like to buy a UK route and I'm wondering, what UK route should I buy during the Winter sale? So please give me some recommendations of good UK routes!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

Hi,

What do you like? Freight, commuter or high speed?

G

3. blazinlet#6971

blazinlet#6971 Member

I'm fine with any! However I most prefer commuter and high speed.

4. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

South Eastern High speed would be a good shout for your preferences. Also Great Western express is a mix of high speed, commuter and freight

5. R3dS41ft

R3dS41ft Active Member

Are you looking for Train simulator 2022 or train sim world routes?

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Those routes don't exist is TS2022

7. smugstarlord#4202

smugstarlord#4202 Well-Known Member

Well that sucks for TS players then

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not sure why you are giving ideas from TSW2 on the TS22 forum and guessing they might exist?

• Like Like x 1
  9. blazinlet#6971

blazinlet#6971 Member

Train Simulator 2022 routes

10. snapnfix

snapnfix Member

What era are you interested in? In my mind these can be split into three broad groups, with my recommendations as follows:

Early BR/BR Green. Western Lines of Scotland. Positives: very long, well modelled, variety of workings and scenery, steam/diesel/both, lots of DLC to compliment it. Negatives: only comes with one 'new' loco.

BR Blue/Late BR. Liverpool to Manchester. Positives: very well modelled, variety of workings and scenery, lots of DLC to compliment it. Negatives: some feel it's the less interesting line between Liverpool and Manchester. Most of the platforms at Manchester Piccadilly aren't really usable due to the route modelled. Not a true high speed route.

Modern/Contemporary. The Riviera Line: Exeter - Paignton. This may not be what other's would think, but I run this route more than another other modern UK ones. Positives: varied and changing scenery, the run down the Exe estuary and along the sea is always a delight, IRL the route is popular with rail tours so almost any steam or diesel special is believable, there's an easter egg in the semi-abandoned route to Heathfield, it's not too long a route so end to end scenarios can be done in one session, interesting and varied stations, not too far apart. Disadvantages: only one provided loco, which is really a railbus.

• Like Like x 2
  11. atomicdanny

atomicdanny Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Rybnicki

Rybnicki Well-Known Member

For a mix of high speed and commuter, might be worth exploring Western Mainlines from JT, or TS longer, better version of the Great Western Mainline. From the same people there's the Midland Mainline route, a nice and detailed mix of fast and stopping services around Derby and Leicester.

14. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Extending the HS1 line by one stop wouldn't be very interesting, better if it were to include Dover via Folkestone too. TBH I would probably get more use out of the new CML extensions than a HS1 extension.

15. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Back to the OP's question, if you like modern routes then take a look at:
    ECML London to Peterborough
    GEML London to Ipswich
    WCML South
    Portsmouth Direct Line (the newer one that includes Waterloo)
    Chatham Main Line (again the newer one to Dover/Ramsgate that was just released, although currently not on sale)
    Riviera Line Exeter to Paignton
    Suburban Glasgow
    South London Network
    Liverpool to Manchester

Historical routes that are worth looking at are:
    Weardale and Teesdale Network
    Western Lines of Scotland
    Riviera in the Fifties
    Woodhead Line

EDIT: If you look off-steam, Just Trains Midland Main Line routes and Southwestern Expressways Reading route are also worth a look.

• Like Like x 3
  16. locobilly

locobilly Well-Known Member

South Western Mainline, WCML South and Fife Circle Line are all good.

17. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Birmingham Cross City and Fife Circle are very enjoyable and have good accurate scenery

18. snapnfix

snapnfix Member

I find the sunny daylight in Fyfe Circle odd. It has too much of a blue fog for my liking, but at least the AP weather add-on corrects it,

19. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

I would highly recommend London - Brighton. Even if it is old, there are some nice high speed sections - Be sure to pick up the Gatwick Express Class 442 and also the BR 421/422/423 EMUs.

Others I would recommend if you're into commuter:
    Chatham Main & Medway Valley lines (also has freight)
    North London Line
    South London Network
    MML London - Bedford (also offers some freight)

For more main line operations/interurban/intercity
    South Wales Coastal Bristol - Swansea
    Welsh Marches Shrewsbury - Newport
    Edinburgh - Glasgow
    WCML South, Trent Valley, Over Shap & North

Early BR/Transition from Steam - Diesel:+
    Woodhead Line (Both original and Blue Electric)
    Weardale & Teesdale
    Western lInes of Scotland (Originally called Port Road)
    Falmouth & Malmsbury Branches

Heritage/Preserved Lines:
    West Somerset Railway
    North Somerset Railway
    Isle of Whight - Has both the electric line and Steam Railway.

20. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Commuter and a tad of high speed intermingled with freight? JT's Midland Mainline routes and extensions are a must-have.

• Like Like x 2
  21. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I'd second a lot of these recommendations especially (for early BR) Weardale and Teesdale, WLoS (steam only and who doesn't like a 5MT but I'd add the Class 20 and Class 27) and Woodhead (the original- I don't have the BR Blue version). There's one mention for Riviera Line in the '50s which is good as it comes, terrific if you favour steam, but I'd suggest pairing it with the Western Hydraulics pack for added variety.

For more modern working WCML Over Shap (Carlisle to Preston in the late '70s/early '80s though newer trains would not look out of place) is great and if you add the APT you can hoon along it at 155mph- you can't go faster on a British route at the moment without seeing warnings flashing. Love the way that thing throws the scenery at you. WCML North (Glasgow to Carlisle) has a mid to late '80s setting as is- again newer trains will fit in. It's an older route and that does show here and there but it is large and entertaining with potential for commuter traffic around Glasgow and freight and express passenger work on the main line over Beattock. A caveat- the Career scenarios included are all terribly flawed so if collecting gold stars and points is important to you it would be frustrating. Very much on the plus side this includes both the European and UK Loco's and Assets and US Loco's and Assets packs which are much used by scenario creators in the Workshop- if you don't have the packs but want to try more scenarios it's much cheaper than either on its own so worth getting just for that reason.

Have a look at Great British Railway Journeys. I have three of the five routes included and like them all well enough if they aren't favourites. Great Eastern Main LIne is a nice enough commutor only route as it comes but with hidden potential for more varied traffic, Portsmouth Direct (Waterloo to Portsmouth) is a newer extended and good looking version of an earlier commutor route and then there's Settle-Carlisle- it's a bit linear and again older but the spare beauty of the area doesn't demand great detail and is represented well while the route has a timeless quality which means you can run almost anything. (Add the S&C Steam Specials pack for some simple but good looking and fun to drive kettles.) All told GBRJ is a bit of a bargain- I'm thinking of getting it just to add the two routes I don't have already. You want the Complete My Collection version.

Hope this is helpful.

• Like Like x 1