Class 33 Levers, Switches Etc...help

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pterocles#7018, Dec 31, 2021.

1. pterocles#7018

pterocles#7018 Active Member

Please help me with the functions of the following instrument in the cab of the Class 33.
    - Brake pin
    -Exhauster speed up
    -AWS cab change end lever (I understand this but don't know how/when I have to use)
    - Brake selectors (when should I use them?)
    - And finally how do you use the destination blind colors?

upload_2021-12-31_13-43-1.png

upload_2021-12-31_13-43-31.png

upload_2021-12-31_13-45-52.png

upload_2021-12-31_13-51-10.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. tygerways#2596

tygerways#2596 Well-Known Member

I can tell you what I do with this stuff on my class 33:
    - Brake pin: lift it if you want to move the lever to "neutral/shutdown" and it wont go beyond emergency
    -Exhauster speed up: push to release brakes faster
    -AWS cab change end lever (I understand this but don't know how/when I have to use): put it to "On" in the cab you are driving from and to "Off" in the cab at the other end
    - Brake selectors (when should I use them?): depends on the coaches/cars you are pulling: if they are vacuum braked, use vacuum, if they are air braked, use air. I haven't checked out if the other settings actually change pressure or filling speed of the brakes.
    - And finally how do you use the destination blind colors? I don't completely understand that question: How do you set them? Or in which cases you use which color?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. pterocles#7018

Thanks tygerways#2596
    - Yes, my question is about the color blind selector is how to set them and which case which color?

4. tygerways#2596

For the numbers and letters there are a lot of sources available on how to use them, e.g.:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Train_reporting_number
    I haven't been able to find out if the colors have any meaning, though.

You set them by turning those little cranks to the appropriate color:
    class33_01.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  5. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

In case you work the cl.33 as a pair in multiple (vacuum condition), you have to isolate the exhauster on the second loco.
    Vacuum is created usually on the leading loco only.

Pushing the automatic brakevalve to release in vac condition will speed up the exhauster and overcharge the train pipe in air condition.

Here a simplyfied procedure of taking over a uk loco with a automatic brake valve like the cl.20, 31, 33, 37, 40, 45 & 47.

1) apply direct airbrake (loco brake)
    2) move the automatic brake into running and wait until the pipe has reached 72.5 psi
    3) master key on / reverser to engine only
    (Now the compressor / exhauster should be working)
    4) aws on
    5) (if you wish perform a brake test or brake continuity test)
    6) master selector into fowrward or reverse

Changing ends or leaving loco

1) automatic brake handle into emergency (wait until the trainpipe goes to zero)
    2) move the reverser to off and turn off master key
    3) move the automatic brake handle into neutral / shut down
    4) aws off

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. meridian#2659

As a general roule when it comes to braking timing:

Trains up to 60mph -- braking selector in either vac or air goods (depending on the braking type of the wagon)

Trains above 60mph -- bis in passenger mode

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. pterocles#7018

It is all clear now. I tried the loco today in different conditions and I have another question.
    I find it difficult to maintain speed especially downhill.
    Is that ok to apply brakes AND throttle at the same time? This was the only way I could keep around 25 mph evenly.
    If this is ok which brake? Loco or train?

8. tygerways#2596

Ihmo, except for some special situations "power braking" is not advisable.
    Downhill I usually use the loco (straight) brake sensitively to keep an even speed, if there is no dynamic brake on the loco (and the train brake only to actually slow down and stop the train). No idea if this is best practice, but it works fine in the game.

9. meridian#2659

Applying power and braking together while driving should not be done. With trains you have to think ahead, especially with the longer types from zhe US.

The only time you use brakes and power is to get a train moving from a gradient. So you apply brakes and give throttle to prevent from rolling backwards.

Using the loco brakes should only be done by light engine or loose shunting. On a mainline the loco brake it self is almost useless to slower down a heavy train.

Thats why you have brakes and hoses on each wagon. Lets say you are driving an uk freight train with air brakes:

Basicly the air is used to release the brakes, not to apply them. This is an important safety backup. Also the vacuum is used to release the brakes, not to apply them.

- the pressure of the brake cylinder shows just the brakes on your loco bogie when applying direct brake or the automatic brake
    - the main reservoir is charged by the compressor. In case this ever gets low pressure, you wouldnt be able to release the brakes anymore.
    - the handbrakes prevents you from moving, but cant stand if you apply power.
    - the train pipe is the important one when it comes to the brakes in the wagon behind you (red air hoses). 72.5 psi means your pipes are pressurized to release the brakes. The more you apply, the less pressure you have. Full service is around 50 psi, emergency brake vents the entire pipe and all brakes on your train get applied.

Its difficult to hold a constant speed especially with a cl.33. Uphill you are able to use throttle, downhill on wsr i brake to 20mph and release the brakes, then initial apply at 25mph again.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

This is the correct method for British trains. It's believe its known as "Sawtooth Braking". Remember its a speed limit - not a target speed.

• Like Like x 2
  11. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

There was a legend in railway circles, when the 50's were used on Waterloo to Exeter services the drivers regularly used just the loco brake to control speed when descending gradients, particularly west of Salisbury. This was borne out by the frequency with which they had to be taken out of service for brake block changes outside the normal A Exam cycle.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Yet another example of the need for comprehensive user manuals. This thread is already filled with useful information, but such scavenger hunts should not be needed. Come on, DTG, hire a manual writer!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

Community staff: Mr Dovetail can we get someone to make manuals, they help the community use all the features that we put time and effort in to.
    Mr Dovetail/ bean counter: Will we sell the manuals?
    Community staff: No! They will come as part of the DLC! It is so bad that random people are having to make them for the community!
    Mr Dovetail/ bean counter: So random people are making this thing that wont get us any more money for free? Perfect lets keep it how it is. Now off to count my monies.

-Overheard conversation by a donkey who wishes to remain anonymoose

• Like Like x 2
  14. meridian#2659

For people interested, here some "extended" information/ Manual about older UK Diesels (MU Working, Coupling, Braking) covering the DUAL braked locomotives:

Provides:
    - Status Diagram of both locomotives (Leading Cab / Trailing Cab, Automatic Brake Valve, AWS, Brake Selector)
    - Coupling Arrangements
    - Changing End Procedures (Leaving Cab / Taking over other Cab)

You can use this actually in TSW --> It is simulating an advanced braking / Air system + MU (Multiple Unit) working, but important to understand on a real Train, when couple 2 Locomotives together to run services, all hoses and cables are usually connected. Probably for technical reasons TSW couples either for air braked conditions or for vacuum braked conditions separate. (Means if you have to change the Braking conditions, best way to do it in tsw is when all Cabs are shunt down (so you can set your brake selector on both locomotives and quickly uncouple and recouple)

Part 1 - Agenda / Description for coupling:

- M.R.P -- Main Reservoir Pipe (3/4 Inch - Yellow hose, for equalizing the Main Reservoir pipe between the 2 Locos)
    - V.B.P -- Vacuum Brake Pipe (2 Inch - Black Vacuum Hose, the partial bulged with the big diameter)
    - A.B.P -- Air Brake Pipe (1 Inch - Red Hose)
    - E.C.A.P - Engine Control Air Pipe (Grey Hose, for example cl.20 & 33 have them)
    - S.H.P -- Steam Heat Pipe (Boiler equiped Locos for Steam Train Heating --> Cl40 in tsw, looks similar to the Vac Hose, just smaller in diameter)
    - E.T.H -- Electric train Heat Jumper Cable (Such as the Cl.47/4, Cl45/1 & Cl33 etc.)
    - Control Jumper -- When working MU the control Jumper is needed for controlling the second loco

Part 2 - Changing Ends Procedures - Explanation:

- Changing Ends to the other Locomotive --> Shuting Down Cab
    - Changing Ends from the other Locomotive --> Taking over the opposite Cab

Part 3:
    Diagram: Locomotives in Multiple Air Condition - Cl20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 31, 37, 40, 50:
    photo13.jpg

Diagram: Locomotives in Multiple
    Vacuum Condition - Cl20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 31, 37, 40, 50:
    photo14.jpg

Diagram: Locomotives in Multiple Air to Vacuum - Cl20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 31, 37, 40, 50:
    photo15.jpg

Diagram: Locomotives in Multiple
    Vacuum to Air - Cl20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 31, 37, 40, 50:

photo16.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. meridian#2659

The Class 33 is a bit an exception in all those, because it has the FV3 valve, which acts different to the others auto brake valve. Thats why its separate covered in the diagrams and manuals. (Sorry Quality isnt the best)

The class 33 is equipped with E.T.H, however in TSW when coupled in multiple & to other coaches it seems the Jumper control cable & E.T.H Cable is not modeled like with other locos. Would be nice if DTG makes an update on that. (Probably happens when we see Push and pull with the cl.33 at some point)

Diagram: Class 33 in Multiple - Vacuum Conditions:

photo20.jpg

Diagram: Class 33 in Multiple - Air Conditions:
    photo21.jpg

Diagram: Class 33 in Multiple - Air to Vacuum Condition:
    photo22.jpg

Diagram: Class 33 in Multiple - Vacuum to Air Condition:
    photo23.jpg

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

There is a route guide I created for WSR. I guess I need to update it it, which is not a bad idea anyway because of the good job the preserved collection team did. I promise it will be the next Guide I update. Now working on Arosa, Sandpatch and the Starters Guide (all coming later this week for the subscribers of my newsletter).

For the impatient, you can get it here:

https://www.hollandhiking.nl/trainsimulator

Don't expect anything from DTG. Just listen to Matts answer during the end-of-year Q&A. He does not come further than saying it is complicated. I have some new ideas to create interactive starters guides, but this has to wait till later this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

These look fantastic. Thank you

18. Dambuster8178

Dambuster8178 New Member

Hi all,

Brilliant help on here I have a question where is the switch to turn the instrument lights on please?

19. tygerways#2596

This would be here:
    [​IMG]

20. Spikee1975

Spikee1975 Well-Known Member

The throttle is to your right, if you're looking for that ;)