Glasgow Subway

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by bdlhouston#8691, Dec 30, 2021.

1. bdlhouston#8691

bdlhouston#8691 Well-Known Member

This is quite a small route, so its possible it would come in another route

The Glasgow subway would be a tiny dlc (literally 6 miles long) and takes 24 minutes for 1 circuith, the layout of the track is simple, literally just an oval,

Price range for this dlc could range from £11:99-£19:99, the same as the isle of wight

There could be 2 trains, the 2nd gen rolling stock, and 3rd gen rolling stock, which is due to enter service in 2023

2nd gen
    b554fa92-3fbe-11eb-87aa-2b872fbc5d91.jpg

3rd gen
    _122268841_subway2.jpg
    (The 3rd gen trains are completely driverless, so its possible these could be used as A.I services)

Map
    1000px-Glasgow_Subway_1965_300dpi.png

• Like Like x 3
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Would be quite fun at first, but I don't think it would be the sort of route many would return to playing often, as once you've driven around the loop a few times there's nothing much more to do other than drive around the loop again or perhaps drive to the depot. There's plenty more interesting routes that could be made instead for now.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

That's why I think you would need the three eras of stock, to maximise interest.

As an aside, although I've never actually travelled on the "Clockwork Orange", I would have been terrified out of my wits waiting on those narrow island platforms. Passengers (and drivers) must have nerves of steel. I remember using Angel on the Northern Line a couple of times before that was rebuilt from an island platform and not the best experience, especially not at the speed trains enter the station. In fact I probably hung around on the stairs!

• Like Like x 2
  5. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Being quite tall, 'mind your head' would be more appropriate than 'mind the gap' on the Glasgow Subway from my experience :D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Woroszyl The NS 2000

Woroszyl The NS 2000 Well-Known Member

Better idea is making 2nd gen stock and 1st gen (1896) stock or only the 2nd gen stock.

7. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

That's... Not a better idea at all.

• Like Like x 1
  8. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Excellent idea and for the 3rd generation trains these use LZB or ETCS for ATO operation. The tutorial for them should say lift this seat up there you'll find the driving controls then operate it as normal. This video by Geoff Marshall shows where their controls are

• Like Like x 1
  9. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

Does it have any stations near a mainline one? If so I guess it would be easier to make it so that you can walk between ML station and nearest GS one.

10. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

I saw a documentary on this long ago and IIRC, it originally had a cable pulley system before electrification came along, meaning that each car would grip and release a continuously moving cable. Now that would be an interesting driving simulation, would it not? Visions of getting bumped from behind for losing your grip, lol.

I also recall that each driver started his watch by signing for a telephone handset and, in the event of trouble, had to climb down on to the tracks and connect the handset to the rails (or something similar, memory is getting fainter here), in order to communicate a problem or receive instructions. Would make for an interesting scenario.

While I too think this wouldn't be the most thrilling route, it would be very enjoyable nonetheless. I also have a personal connection to it - I was 'conceived in a pan loaf' (to quote the infamous Matt McGinn, i.e. born and bred in Glasgow), and one of my very earliest memories is being in one of the underground stations with my mother, and I would have been four or five at the time. We were both on one of the island platforms, having just come off a train, and as she was asking one of the station staff a question, I slipped her hand as she talked and wandered over to the other track. There was an orange train pulling out and I just wanted to touch it as it left. It was the station staff member that spotted me and grabbed me before I could reach it. Spoil sport. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

It loops around the city centre, and through it, so it's got plenty (considering the size of the system)

St. Enoch <-> Glasgow Central
    *Few hundred yards along Argyle St.

Buchanan St. <-> Glasgow Queen Street
    *OSI (Out of Station Interchange), literally a matter of a few yards between Buchanan St and Queen Street's side entrance.

Partick (NR) <-> Partick (GS)
    *In Station Interchange

• Like Like x 1
  12. opgames

opgames Active Member

Great suggestion! I’m actually working on a suggestion of the Seoul subway (line 3) but can’t help mentioning that the 2nd gen and the 3rd gen are never operating together and also that map is well out of date upload_2021-12-31_18-17-54.png thats the current map mate just saying

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1