Time To Speculate On The New Uk Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Dec 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

The other party might want to announce it first, like the Amtrak livery recently. It may be something special that the other party is using as part of a bigger marketing or anniversary thing. Something like that may prevent DTG talking about it until it is ready to launch. They only said they couldn’t talk about it yet, not that they couldn’t talk about it ever.

• Like Like x 3
  2. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Just watched the clip extract, not really much clue at all as to location or era.
    Of course it could throw a total curve ball and be another tube route!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

This seems the most likely explanation to me, considering it seems relatively close to release, i.e before Harlem line. I would hope that the project scope has already been finalized at this point (lessons learned from Rush Hour, right?)

Are there any UK rail anniversaries coming up similar to Amtrak's 50th? Any brand-new locos or routes coming into service in 2022?

Maybe it's as simple as a particular licensing agreement doesn't come into effect until e.g. 1/1/22?

I don't know enough about UK railways to really speculate, but i'd personally like something where freight isn't a total afterthought- something similar Tees Valley Line, maybe?

• Like Like x 2
  4. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

For me the next route should be Wales or involve Wales. Cardiff - Didcot would be brill for me but that is wishful thinking on my part. Another Tube line? Probably wishful thinking again.

North of England would be good. Carlisle - Newcastle or similar. Liverpool - Manchester would be a good fit and where Inter City began albeit on a different route to today.

5. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Sadly, it won't be another tube route. Matt said he'd love to have another one (backed up by the BKL being in the top three routes played in 2021), but won't until they get all the underlying issues sorted WRT the dispatcher and allocating platforms on the fly. IIRC there were four problems that needed solving, something like that, and three are done but they're still working on the fouth.

I'd love a new route, and my fingers are crossed for Metropolitan Line being amongst the first steam routes. I mean really, who doesn't want to take a steam train in a cut and cover tunnel, lol.

As for what this mystery route could be? No clue, but Waterloo-Portsmouth Harbour, Glasgow-Edinburgh, or West Highland Line from Helensburgh Upper would all suit me just fine.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I'd have thought the lesson to be "don't plaster the full scope everywhere", not "don't change the scope".

Don't think there's any major anniversaries coming up - South Western Railway will be 5 in August, West Midlands Trains will be 5 in December, Cross Country and Grand Central will be 15 in November and December respectively. ScotRail was privatised in March 1997, therefore would be 25 years ago.

As for new things, Crossrail is set to open next year, Transport for Wales will be starting to replace its sprinters; Class 230s and 197s in the north, tram-trains on the valley lines (co-inciding with electrification which I don't think has started yet, so that one's a bit optimistic) and Avanti will start getting shot of their Voyagers.

If it is to tie in with the opening of something, I'd say it's probably Crossrail; Shenfield & Abbey Wood to either Paddington or Heathrow, or perhaps with a more modernised GWE glued on?

• Like Like x 1
  7. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

What about the 175th anniversary of the Carlisle to Lancaster rail or the 50th anniversary of the last BR train from Wareham to Swanage. There is always an anniversary if you look hard enough.

8. Clumsy Pacer

Just thought on the note of anniversaries - Next year (October) is the 15th anniversary of the first release of TS1 (as Rail Simulator). Perhaps a recreation of one of the original routes (perhaps Newcastle-York or Bath-Templecombe if we get Steam next year) could be on the cards?

• Like Like x 4
  9. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

A year late but they could do Settle-Carlisle to celebrate MSTS's 20th. Class 50 (which wasn't there an alleged TSW model floating around recently), and also potential for Steam in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OldVern

Ah now that's a good point re the 50. A 70's or 80's Riviera Line could also be a stamping ground with plenty of layers for the 37, 45, 47 even the 31 heck even the 52 if you push the credibility a bit. Or indeed part of the Waterloo to Exeter line along with the 33.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

DTG has never done a route for a anniversary, Amtrak's the only example I'm really aware of, and that only got a few liveries, that's it. With DTG having said research went on for years with Sherman Hill I'd imagine most routes are in a similar boat. Factoring the schedule slip DTG goes through all the time it frankly would be foolish to try and release routes, or even locos around such events.

While I'm at it I doubt any of the routes planned for 2021/early 2022 are gonna have any special support for steam. This new route would've been planned late last year, or early this year, steam at that point was just entering development. Outside of Spirit of Steam itself I doubt they'd make routes with steam support in mind, because I can't imagine they had a definite time frame in mind for it when they were planning this years routes. If any current or near future route receives some sort of steam activity it will be something that doesn't require anything special done to the route, like the railtours NTP adds to East Coastway.

I don't remember the exact length, but I'm pretty certain it's longer than Sherman Hill's total trackage at any rate. And Sherman Hill's scenery's much easier to pull off than populated British countryside. Something as long as Settle & Carlisle is extremely unlikely currently, and I don't see it happening for a while.

Also the Class 50 also wouldn't fit with any era Kuju/DTG did for that route, the OG route was in the 30's, and the TS Classic version's from the 2000's. It would make little sense to do it for that route, at least in those timeframes, and I don't see them including a inaccurate engine for the sake of a MSTS reference. If they do a Class 50 it seems something on the Great Western or the West Coast Main Line would be far more likely from the quick look up I did.

• Like Like x 1
  12. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

I thought it might be the Severn Valley Railway but I know there was an expansion pack for MSTS back in the day.....

13. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

To me, it's Calder Valley Line the True Northern Transpennine route via Bradford Halifax which runs Manchester Victoria Leeds City instead of Huddersfield Marsden Standege Tunnel the NTP. That one can use WCL Class 150/2 as base model for Northern Rail version then couple to Class 158 Class 156 Sprinter 170. Another option is an electric GWML Bristol Swindon with special paint 800 008

14. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Matt mentioned the 319 last night In the stream

"ssh moggy or I'll make you drive the 319 repeatedly"

how's that for some wild unfounded speculation as to routes that it runs on and could be out new one

• Like Like x 3
  15. OldVern

319 could be a classic layer for BML, or BedPan or of course their new stamping ground in the North West. So wild speculative guess (again), Manchester to Liverpool or Manchester to Blackpool North via Preston.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Our good friend Derek Siddle did a remake of his favourite in spare time, Teardale and Weesdale route. He could reuse Darlington. He should have some additional time, now Sherman Hill is done.

• Like Like x 1
  17. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I could never work out why someone at Microsoft thought that supplying a large logo blue class 50 with the S&C route was a good idea, certainly a case of never the twain shall meet apart from maybe some railtours, although not sure they were seen on there during the first few years they were LMR based! A class 40 in green with some maroon mark 1's with a Britannia Pacific would have been a much better idea. I got so much enjoyment out of that route however, my first experience at train-simming, everything seemed so simple back then, it seems the more content the more discontented we often get. I couldn't imagine what was to come, TSW would have seemed unbelievable then.

Anyway I digress, I too hope the next UK route isn't another Southern third rail route, I suspect it won't be.

I suspect something in Scotland maybe featuring the shortened HST sets with a new train.

• Like Like x 4
  18. chieflongshin

• Like Like x 5
  19. theorganist

That is my local line, it isn't particularly interesting to ride on let alone drive on a train simulator :D! The Snow Hill lines would be a good shout though with that as a extra DLC maybe! Snow Hill to Worcester would be quite interesting I guess with the semaphores still extant around Droitwich and Worcester. Pulling away from Old Hill station up the bank towards the tunnel in the autumn is always interesting, even in the newer class 172 trains.

There are a lot of steam and diesel movements on the route too, to and from the SVR mostly.

• Like Like x 3
  20. OldVern

Apart from the shonky physics which sometimes led to you derailing on a curve, even when running well under the speed limit!

Not unless it was something really retro like South London Network but set in the EPB/SUB etc era.

• Like Like x 4
  21. theorganist

Yes I had forgot about the physics lol, funnily enough it didn't bother me then, it seemed a huge leap forward from what had gone before, I remember this one simulator which used a video of Railscene Cabrides with a very unrealistic looking mock up cab with the video running in a small screen!

To paraphrase a grumpy old man, those who have only known TS1 and TSW "do not know you are born"

Yes a retro Southern route would be very welcome. I would love to see something a little different maybe Hastings to Ashford with a class 205.

Although they would have to make new trains a "heritage" timetable for London to Brighton would work much better than it did for the GWML.

• Like Like x 1
  22. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

I really don’t care what route it is as long as the locos and coaches are separate.
    We have enough emu’s and dmu’s already.

• Like Like x 4
  23. OldVern

Ah yes, that would be old Ashley Greenup's Cab View Driver which used Jeremy English (of the incessant chatter) Railscene cab rides to provide the view. Very much an acquired taste. 'nuff said!

• Like Like x 2
  24. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

When the Preston-Carlisle electrification was taking place (early 70s), the WCML was closed at weekends and the Glasgow-London traffic was handled by double-headed class 50s via the Settle-Carlisle and Blackburn. I used to walk down to Pleasington station and watch them!

• Like Like x 3
  25. theorganist

Yes those are the ones, I only bought the one, I think Newcastle to Edinburgh if I recall, I probably still have it somewhere. I remember a similar one which was taking a black five over the S&C.

I still have a lot of those Railscene cabride videos on VHS they are interesting, I found the comments made by the traincrew and the rail staff interesting.

• Like Like x 1
  26. theorganist

Ah that is interesting, thanks, I did wonder. So I suppose it wasn't too inaccurate although of course that was before tops and large logo blue.

• Like Like x 1
  27. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

Seriously? We have 7 UK DMUs and EMUs in the game: 101, 150, 166, 395, 375/377/387, 313/314 and 483. In comparison there are 10 Diesel locos in game: 08/09, 20, 31, 33, 40, 43 HST, 45, 47, 52, 66. I think you are confusing the UK scene with the German scene where everything in game is electric and black or red.

I am glad that DTG have not turned their back on UK content. Was starting to get worried seeing as the last 3 roadmaps have been devoid of anything UK based.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  28. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That’s 9 MU’s plus the HST, which is a complete unit as well as having a loco. You should add three more too, the 1972 and 1938 stock and the Class 483. That’s a lot of multiple units. 12 plus the HST in fact.
    Of those the Class 66, 08 and 09 don’t really count as passenger locos and a lot of the others just mainly substitute on railtours or are added extras, so aren’t the main content like the EMU/DMU’s are in the latest routes we have had. True loco hauled passenger routes aren’t as represented as much as the modern routes with MU’s. So with more locos but fewer routes for loco hauled passenger and more routes than unique multiple units for the others, plus a couple of mixed routes, neither are particularly well covered yet but the MU’s are in the lead.

It is a long time since DTG made a dedicated route for UK loco hauled passenger trains but there have been many routes that are primarily multiple units. I don’t mind either myself but it is a valid point of view to want more of one or the other.

• Like Like x 4
  29. doublefine7

doublefine7 Well-Known Member

*steps in*

Settle-Carlisle

*leaves*

:D

• Like Like x 3
  30. jiroo92

jiroo92 Member

Maybe DTG could do somekind of teaser after a long time when the time is right ;) I remember teasers for older routes and locos before they started releasing roadmaps. I personally liked that guessing and shenanigans going on here :D What do you guys think?

• Like Like x 1
  31. Clumsy Pacer

It'd need to be remodelled at the north end.

32. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

More specifically, NTP is to date the only loco-hauled passenger route (I'm counting WSR as a collection of railtours, not a genuine passenger service).

• Like Like x 2
  33. chieflongshin

I think Easter eggs are fantastic. The buzz around that ticket for example. Those are what generates excitement

• Like Like x 3
  34. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

It's not even the New Year yet and you're already talking about Easter Eggs?! :D

• Like Like x 2
  35. jiroo92

jiroo92 Member

36. Clumsy Pacer

I saw mini eggs in shops before Christmas...

Those hints for the DLCs were fun, here's some more for those unaware/can't remember:
    Rapid transit (1st of 4)
    [​IMG]

Tees Valley
    [​IMG]

Rhein Ruhr Osten
    [​IMG]

NEC New York (1st of 4)
    [​IMG]

And of course TSW2 itself
    [​IMG]
    (still feel a bit stupid for speculating Blue/Grey and Swallow liveried HSTs for that)

I think Isle of Wight was the last route to have such a hint?

• Like Like x 1
  37. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Our delivery of that kind of stuff came in this week, already on the shopfloor of course

38. theorganist

Hot Cross buns are for sale all year round :(

• Like Like x 1
  39. fakenham

fakenham Well-Known Member

Great news regarding a new UK route.

Whatever it is, please get the signalling right ..... approach control!

Cheers, happy new year everyone.

• Like Like x 4
  40. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I just want to point out that this whole discussion means that the phrase "if it's not on the roadmap it's not being worked on" has lost all meaning. I really hope someone calls them out on this next time it's inevitably said on stream.

The fact it's apparently closer than Harlem yet unannounced has me thinking it's pretty low-key, perhaps reusing existing trains. I'd personally love another HST route, so any stretch of the Great Western, East Coast or Midland mainline is fair game.

I'll echo what others have said and say I really hope it's not another Southern region route. There are plenty I want to see in the future, but now isn't the time. Not when we've had so many in quite a short timespan.

• Like Like x 4
  41. Clumsy Pacer

It's been mentioned before, and was even mentioned on the stream. I seriously hope they retire it as a catchphrase (Matt's already starting to crawl back to the previous "nothing we can talk about at this moment" judging by the stream on the 30th).

• Like Like x 2
  42. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I appreciate this rolling stock is not everyone's favourite, and that's fair enough, everyone has their own likes and dislikes, but there seems to be a large amount of the player base who really enjoy such trains and routes - just look at the continuing popularity of East Coastway and Southeastern High Speed for example - and I don't see why we shouldn't get more routes like this for those of us who do enjoy this type. Undoubtedly, such future routes would offer more DLC layers from existing rolling stock and integration between routes whether you like it or not, and that will be a major appeal too.

Just to be clear, while I'd like more electrostar routes to be created as I think integrating with existing DLC help deliver more immersion, I'd also be very excited for more UK routes in other locations in the country too, whether modern or BR Blue etc, which definitely should be created to offer more variety so everyone gets to enjoy what they like too.

Not sure how this is such, the 387 has appeared in just one previous route, and while the 377 was in the same London Commuter route, you have to go back a few years to East Coastway for the 377's original release on Train Sim World. If anything, the Class 101 seems to appear everywhere (recently West Cornwall, Diesel Legends, updated West Somerset etc, and that's not mentioning TVL or NTP!).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Clumsy Pacer

I think the trouble people have is that of the (DTG-made) UK routes made and released for TSW2 (Bakerloo, Southeastern, Cathcart and London-Brighton), all of them have featured nothing but EMUs in the base package, and one of them was not in the London & the South East. Adding in Rivet's two products, we then have one route that doesn't feature EMUs (that's West Cornwall). So, one out of 6 was not in Southern England, one out of 6 didn't feature EMUs. I think it's more fatigue from modern routes set in the NSE area, when there are plenty of interesting routes elsewhere in the country.

Broadening the scope for context, of all the UK routes released by anyone (which is 10), 5 have not been in London & the south-east (6 if not counting Isle of Wight as L&SE), 3 have not been in southern England (even when using Londoners' rubbish definition of the north as anything above Watford), one has not been in England at all.

This is a bit unfair, given there was a huge gap between TVL and DLGW, and in WCL and WSR you need to own a previous route to use the 101 so it doesn't really count in my book.

• Like Like x 2
  44. mickelmickle

mickelmickle Member

I am going to have 3 guesses

1: WCML (Trent Valley - Stafford to Rugby) class 390 and class 350
    2: Glasgow QS to Edinburgh W, Class 385
    3 ECML (York to Newcastle) Class 800/1

45. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

SO far nothing is proving the new route will be made by DTG, it could made by a third party like Rivets Games, or any other third party, maybe even one we have not heard of yet, and that is why we have not even got any hint beside what is reportedly from Matt (whoever he is) on Steam article

46. johntay

johntay Member

Would be one happy Chappy if they done the Ayr to Glasgow central route my local line and fits perfect into TSW routes sizes under a hour full route.

I have been wishing for this since back in the days with MS Train sim. My wishes would come true. Would be like Christmas and birthday all in one for me

No one has even attempted it on The original train simulator would pay good money for it.

My other guess would be Glasgow to Edinburgh or Glasgow to York

• Like Like x 2
  47. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

The argument to be made is weather people enjoy electrostars so much, or if it’s just the fact that the routes they come with are modern UK era, that’s the point, why is it every time we see a UK route set anytime after 2000, it has to ship with an Electrostar?

I don’t think it’s a case of people clearly preferring third rail EMU’s, because right now if you want to play a mainline UK route set loosely in modern times, you have to go with an EMU, which apart from the GCC, is always a route with an Electrostar, you really don’t get much choice, the only other options you have are GWE, which in terms of features and gameplay, is pretty basic as it’s one of the very first produced routes for TSW, or Bakerloo Line, which doesn’t offer you anything if you want to run mainline operations, and other than that, it’s also yet another EMU.

• Like Like x 1
  48. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

A route doesnt always need to focus on new rolling stock too. I would even prefere to get the route dlcs with reused stock, but with heavy attention to make the route as interesting as possible. So we would pay the 30 euros for a extended peace of track incl. Branchlines as example.

For getting more variety in rolling stock there are loco dlcs, with heavy attention to quality (class465 as example), which adds additional services & layers all kind of routes

Sherman hill is a good example, and its just my own opinion: i would have prefered the route and the sd70 in separate dlcs, but with more content for the money. Now we have sherman hill without track 3, and a sd70 without important features for "no hud" driving such as slow speed control or train lenght counter.

Same with riesa dresden. As much as i like all 3 rush hour routes, i rather pay 30 euros each, without that st...idity season pack, but with the s2 for dresden, a more polished boston sprinter and london commuter.

Dear customers, you get what you pay for!

• Like Like x 1
  49. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I can understand frustration from some, but there are most likely several factors behind such decisions, including that UK EMUs are a very popular choice. Additionally, you have to take into account that routes set in the same region may offer extra content - apart from its timetable, London Commuter is hugely popular thanks to the likes of having the Class 166 from Great Western Express or even the Class 313 from ECW. Just to add, when new regions are added, I believe there needs to be commitment by DTG for plans of future routes/rolling stock in such areas to later complement it to avoid standalone routes.

You could say the same thing between East Coastway and London Commuter. My point is that the 101 is on multiple routes, but there seems less fuss about that for the most part.

A valid point, but surely the rolling stock is a major part of the reason players return to such a route, especially over longer periods of time, other than just because it's set in the modern period? Take for example the Class 465, yes not an electrostar, but its popularity alone is most likely a major draw to the Southeastern High Speed route.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Clumsy Pacer

I think even without the SD70 we wouldn't have got track 3 - separate teams doing separate things.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.