A Graph Showing The Length Of Each Tsw Route From Start To Finish (not Including Third Party).

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by owenroser19, Jan 1, 2022.

1. owenroser19

owenroser19 Well-Known Member

A simple graph showing the length of each TSW route that's been made by DTG. Not including third party because they are their own development company with their own aspirations. If anyone wants to see a graph with other information about the game, I'll see what I can do :).

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  2. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It's nice but not very relevant. Why not express route length in driving time from one end to the other?

3. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Using a line chart is a pretty weird choice, I would've used a bar chart instead. Also it's kind of hard to tell which dots belong to which routes, as the names overlap, and there's no line that connects the name to the dot.

• Like Like x 2
  4. owenroser19

Thanks for the feedback.

5. owenroser19

That's difficult because of the variety in services but thanks for the feedback anyway.

6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Of course that is not so easy, but you may get up with a sensible average and order of magnitude.

7. owenroser19

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  8. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

In order of magnitude this chart is not far off, the only outliers are CRR (which is more network-like with branches and stuff) and LGV for obvious reasons. Maybe Sherman Hill as well, since services are not much longer than Peninsula Corridor.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Really outside of LGV and part of SEHS I don't really think the amount of detail changes much. Unless you're going at 100+ you can still get a good enough look at the scenery to tell if it's good or bad. And with most routes there's at least a few slow or frequent stop services that mean you're gonna need to put in extra detail. The two routes I mentioned are really the only exceptions to that rule, and even then SEHS is only a partial example, as it does have commuter traffic along half the line.

10. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I like it, not the easiest to read but interesting information. Perhaps a bar or line chart with them shortest to longest. Interesting to see the American freight routes are the longer ones.

• Like Like x 1
  11. owenroser19

Attached Files:

12. chieflongshin

That looks a lot better. Just as a suggestion.
    The route names, what if you switched axis with distance or had the route names read vertically. It's the diagonal bit that is weird.

• Like Like x 1
  13. owenroser19

I cant control that. The app moves it all on its own.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  14. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Very helpful graph indeed and for Riesa-Dresden it can surpass CSX predecessor Railroad Clinchfield if the Flughafen Dresden Klotzsche branch is added making it 65 mi 105 km opposed to 63mi 101 km Clinchfield field. Still going to lose to Sherman Hill by 10-11 mi 16-17 km since it's 76mi 121 km.

15. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

(TL;DR it's not the length, it's what you do with it)

You need to add additional dimensions unless the only thing you like is stopping at both ends of the line and nothing else, to evaluate length alongside activities.

Some form of equation (and I realise that throwing this grenade into the conversation is likely to spur spreadsheet enthusiasts into action) that takes the line length, time required to complete the longest service, number of individual interactive zones (passenger stops, freight yards/stops etc), number of vehicles included and the services they add, support for additional layers and so forth.

If you then wanted to add subjectivity into the mix you'll need a multinational, multiplatform, age, gender and railfanexpert diverse panel of players to vote in sections including "is it fun", "is it accurate", "how's the lighting" and so on.

Then, and only then will you have a thorough comparison of routes.

Unless of course this was just a bit of fun, in which case I'll leave you to it.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

Thank god I'm not that type of spreadsheet enthusiast otherwise I wouldn't sleep tonight.

Edit: actually that reminds me, I bought two new OO Gauge coaches that need to go on my model railway spreadsheet

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  17. chieflongshin

Please leave :D:D

• Like Like x 1
  18. owenroser19

Your not the only person that's mentioned stuff like that. I think I'm going to make a graph to show how long it takes from end end to end (on the longest lasting service). Thanks for the feedback.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

You couldnt resist that could you ;)

The type of stuff I do for fun, I sometimes make a spreadsheet then re-make it better just because its fun :)

• Like Like x 1