Other Train Simulators

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kenobi#1878, Dec 28, 2021.

1. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

This is a thread to talk about other train sims.
    I Quite enjoy diesel railcar simulator, any who enjoys the class 101 would enjoy DRS.

2. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Diesel Railcar Simulator looks like a great game. Not quite as detailed Scenery as TSW2 and the graphics are not on the same level but it looks a decent train sim game to play all the same. Shame it’s PC only and not on the PlayStation. Thinking about it the game is ideal for Console’s especially something like the PS4 as it wouldn’t be too taxing for its ageing technology.

3. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

It could also be on Xbox

4. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

DRS is good but the key commands are a bit non mnemonic. The route editor is a bit unfathomable too.
    Apart from the other big three (MSTS/Open Rails, Trainz and DTG's own TS) there is also Derail Valley. Problem is it got a bit stale doing the same haulage runs around the same map and not a fan of their economy system.
    Run 8 is worth a look if you like heavy American freight and don't mind endless desert scenery. It has the advantage that the created route sections join together seamlessly where they abut (DTG take note!). Downside is there are no structured scenarios or missions as such, though there are industry config files you can download which add car forwarding and serving the various terminals and spurs. AI is very basic and as the player you have to do the despatching too.

5. Jon from Rhode Island

Jon from Rhode Island Well-Known Member

As a big fan of TSW2, I liked the Simrail demo quite a bit. I am looking forward to playing around with it more.

6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Me Mobile Subway Simulator and it has a paywall

7. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

I started with MSTS and only switched to TSW2 because MSTS didn't run very well on Windows 10, plus it's age was showing.
    But I've been thinking recently of giving it another shot with Open Rails which is compatible with MSTS content, the only thing putting me off is the increased complexity compared to the original MSTS.
    On the other hand, it has more complex networks and a scenario editor...

In Trainz, I enjoy the editor much more than actual driving, it's very basic in that regard and despite the name, not exactly a simulator.

I'm watching SimRail, but have no immediate plans of getting it on day one.