Nec: Speed Confusion

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Gamborg, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Gamborg

Gamborg Active Member

I have enabled ATC/ACSES on the ACS-64 in NEC and it's creating some confusion regarding speed restrictions.

On the HUD it said that the next speed limit would be 60 mph which is also indicated by the red marker in the speedometer but the maximum speed allowed according to the ATC/ACSES is 30 mph and when I exceeded this the emergency brake kicked in (which I expected). But why is the HUD showing 60 mph?

26-07-2018_21-17-31.jpg

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

The HUD show you the line speed, which is 60mph. But ACES is in signal mode and restricts to the speed permitted by the last signal.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Coldtires360

Coldtires360 New Member

I turned on ACES and ended up with it stopping me multiple. I printed out the on-line manual for NEC for info and figured out what I was doing wrong. I tried it again with my new knowledge and I still was getting shutdown by ACES. I think my lead foot is my problem now! Then I had to shut it off and go to work (night-shift).

4. ProfCreeptonius

ProfCreeptonius Well-Known Member

Hello folks!
    cActUsjUiCe Might be able to help you more but what I know is that you must stay under the Max Authorized Speed displayed by ACSES and enforced by ATC, no matter what the HUD shows.
    I.e. say you got an Approach Medium on a piece of route where the track speed limit is 60:
    ACSES will show 45 and want you to slow to below 45
    ATC will show 'Approach medium' and will expect you to have slowed to below 30 by the next signal.
    The HUD will not indicate any of those speed changes.
    However
    ATC/ACSES is bugged in the Penn tunnels. I reccomend turning it off and driving 60mph through the tunnels.

Hope I helped,
    Prof

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

So here is the deal.

The HUD will always show the maximum line speed. The HUD does not care about the current signal.

Automatic Train Control (ATC) enforces speeds associated with signals. You have an Approach signal in the cab so ATC will enforce 30mph.

Advanced Civil Speed Enforcement System (ACSES) enforces civil speeds. This is usually the maximum authorized speed for any particular section of track. If you have a Clear signal and are allowed to go 90MPH, ACSES will enforce this. When you get up to a 70MPH curve, ACSES will enforce that.

Do not rely on the HUD. Learn the in-cab systems.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  6. Gamborg

Gamborg Active Member

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated. :)