Trackir

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dhekelian, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Doc_Savage

Doc_Savage New Member

Does trackir work with the steam version of TSW2
    Joshua

2. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Yes, I have the very expensive steelseries Artis Pro Wireless, very good though.

It is supposed to yes.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

It works well for me and was quite easy to set up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Allsop4

Allsop4 Member

To turn off mouse look you have to click the right mouse button once and the mouse cursor will appear. You can then use TrackIR to look around and click on things in the cab.

It's strange with mouse look enabled for whenever you move the mouse, to the left side of the screen for instance, this sets a new view point so that when you re-center TrackIR it will center to the left. What I do when the first entering the cab is move the mouse to the cab center, right-click the mouse and TrackIR works as it should.

TrackIR is a good piece of kit. It's the closest we can get to VR at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JustWentSouth

I am actually getting used to having both the mouse and Track IR active. It was a bit of a learning curve and would likely have subjected me to a few sobriety tests, though!

6. dhekelian

There is me thinking TrackIR would disable the mouse. OK, Thanks, I will give it a go tomorrow and post here.

7. cattivo

cattivo Member

So, I've got TrackIR working - sort of. As in, it works fine to start with, then after a while in game, 10 minutes, maybe more, it starts jumping around all over the place. I don't know that this is a problem with the game or with my pretty old TrackIR hardware, but the left hand green LED on the sensor goes off or flashes when it happens, so that's definitely what's causing the issue.

In the TrackIR software it's well centered and moving my head around never loses the green camera dots and I'm now sitting a decent way away from the sensor. Anyway, Like I said, don't know if it's my TrackIR that's bust or some issue with the game, probably the former. I don't use TrackIR for anything else (other games are in VR). I did try plugging the sensor both directly into the PC and via a powered USB hub, but no difference.

Back to flat screen again I think. :)

8. Allsop4

Allsop4 Member

I don't know if this is your issue but I had this problem when I first got TrackIR. It turned out that I had too much light reflecting on the TrackIR camera. I had a light directly behind me and TrackIR was picking it up and it couldn't make out the reflectors on my hat clip. Reducing the light solved this issue. There is also a setting in the TrackIR software called Light Filter Threshold where we can compensate for a bright room. I thinks it's on the on the Camera tab in TrackIR software.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Doc_Savage

Doc_Savage New Member

It is supposed to yes.[/QUOTE]

will check it out later, thanks

10. cattivo

cattivo Member

Thanks, I'll give it a go at some point and see if that's the issue as I do have windows in the room that might be throwing it off although I wouldn't say the room is particularly bright. Worth a try I'm sure. :)

11. in_04

in_04 New Member

Hi TrainSim-Matt could you send a reminder mail too natural? It is several weeks ago where you send them a mail and still the support in theTrackIR Software isn't there.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  12. dhekelian

You mean in the Profiles? There is an option for 'Dovetail Games' but I agree having one for TSW2 would be nice. It would also be great for some sort of tutorial on how to set the thing up TSW2. Must say I have all but given up.

13. in_04

in_04 New Member

I mean a 'Title' for TSW2 so TrackIR would automatically set the right Profile. I have profiles for MFS2020 and others. Also have one for TSW2, but I must select it as exclusive manual at startup.
    If it help here is my Profile. Just rename it to .XML and copy it to %AppData%\NaturalPoint\TrackIR 5\Profiles

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. dhekelian

Thanks, let's hope Matt can have a word then.

15. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Still not in the list.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

Do you really need a headset for the trackIR to work

17. orb

orb Well-Known Member

No. A hat (cap) or any other head wear on which you can mount the point lights or reflectors is good.

18. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

SO you can not be bare headed, you must wear something on the head :-(

19. BurchyGuy

BurchyGuy New Member

If you must be barehead then have a look into the various facetracking software out there, OpenTrack and FacetrackNoIR work fine with TSW.

20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I tried Smoothtrack but gave up on it, because when turning your head it doesn't simply rotate horizontally around the Y axis, but rolls like a turning airplane, making it near-useless for looking side to side. It seems to have been conceived strictly for flight sims.

21. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I'm ashamed to say I have given up on TrackIR for now as it gets all confused with the mouse and controller look axes. What would maybe work better would be to disable those when in the driver or passenger seats:
    Seated position - TrackIR look ON, mouse/controller look OFF
    Standing position - TrackIR look OFF, mouse/controller look ON

• Like Like x 1
  22. orb

orb Well-Known Member

While using TrackIR your thinking needs to change to:
    • Mouse/controller - rotating whole body of your character
    • TrackIR - rotating only head of your character
    If controller/mouse look needs to be disabled, then it should be rather an option in the game settings and not automatic like in TS2022. Automatic disabling of the mouse look is what stops me launching TS2022 when I use head tracking in other games, as it disables mouse look just after finding the NaturalPoint entries in Windows Registry and not only when the TrackIR.exe process is running.

• Like Like x 1
  23. JustWentSouth

orb has a great way of thinking about it posted above. There is a learning curve involved, but I have found head tracking to be worth the curve.

When I get “turned around” I stop and look straight ahead at the screen. Then I pick up my mouse and put it down where I want it be when my body faces forward. This resets things for me.

When setting up a cab, I will often use the F9 key to pause TrackIR.

What I really love about TrackIR is being able to lean in to see instruments better and being able to lean outside the cab to hear engine and track noise.

24. chriis

chriis Member

Another option: I hit the right arrow and then left arrow key to 'reset' to the centered-forward view (as if you've just sat down). This effectively does the same as the 're-centre TrackIR' hotkey from the NaturalPoint software, but at the same time resets the in-game viewpoint (which the hotkey doesn't do). It is slightly annoying to flick to head-out/gauge view and back again in quick succession, but it isn't a game breaker for me.

I personally always right-click to disable mouse-look as soon as I load in/sit down in the drivers seat, as that way if I have to operate any switches in the cab I'm not fighting the TrackIR to 'grab' the control - I'm just looking where I need to look and operating the control, and it means my resets via the above method are reduced in frequency. I'm sure as others have said with practice it'd become easy but I prefer to separate the two.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. dhekelian

TBH I think I saw TrackIR being a bit more better than what it is. Perhaps my expectations were higher than what I got. I have tried fiddling with it but didn't really get anywhere with it. All I got was a mess when trying to use it. I was kindly given a profile to use and must confess I haven't really tested it due to me hardly touching the game anymore due to my favourite routes being ignored for RD support.

But once they are done (GWE especially) I shall be back trying to get to grips with this.

26. in_04

in_04 New Member

TrainSim-Matt could you please send the Mail again, and take care of it?
    Still no update from TrackIR so I guess they still didn't know that they should add TSW

27. NQuarter

NQuarter Member

Could we please get the "West facing" bug fixed while on Foot.

• Like Like x 1
  28. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I know this is an old thread - but you with TrackIR you have the XYZ axis Z is the roll component - you can make a profile and disable the roll and Z axis and will remove the "banking" movement when you move your head -- additional you can modify the speed and amount of movement by adjusting the curve for the axis in the profile.

I know this is a bit tardy, but I hope it helps

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Finally loaded up TrackIR in TSW and was happy to see it works completely as expected.

Well, except that NatrualPoint needs to add "Train Sim World" to the Titles list so we can save a TSW specific profile and have it called up when we load the game. Please, TrainSim-Matt, ping Natural Point again on this. Are they just not responding? I just sent a support request to Natural Point as well. I wonder if they added it as "Dovetail Games" but it should be "Train Sim World".

Regarding TrackIR on TSW, as I said it works exactly as expected. I was able to use the same profile for TSW as I use for Train Simulator.

For those having trouble figuring out TrackIR, understand, it is a muscle memory thing. Kind of like learning to ride a bike. You have to give it time to practice using it so you can subconsciously know what to do. If you have to consciously think about how to use it, you are still in the learning phase. It could take a few weeks to many months to get past this. Eventually when you pop into a game and look around without even realizing you are using TrackIR. It will feel completely normal. Our brains have immense ability to transpose non-reality (like how TrackIR works) to make it seem totally real. Most people don't know how riding a bike actually works, but our subconscious brain figures it out, and once you do, you'll never forget. That is muscle memory.

Also, over time you will want to re-evaluate your profile settings. I started with profiles with big centering notches (like the default profiles), but over time I have flattened most the curves out (only a small center notch for reference) because I have just gotten good at not moving my head around excessively. It is much more natural without a big centering notch. But there are no right or wrong profiles. You can't expect to get a profile from someone else and have it be the magic one that just works. So try the default profiles for a while, adjusting only the sensitivity. Then after you start to get the idea, start playing with more advanced profile settings.

Make sure you have the TrackIR Center (F12 default) and Pause (F9 default) controls on buttons or keyboard keys you can access easily. You will want to recenter often because your head will sway out of the "sweet spot". I have them on my gaming mouse (lots of extra buttons) and my Warthog HOTAS so I can quickly recenter or turn TrackIR off when I need to stop all tracking movement. I use both regularly and often don't even realize I'm doing it.

Finally, the mouse can move your viewpoint as well as TrackIR. As others suggested, think of it as the mouse moves where your body is facing and TrackIR moves where your head is facing - that is exactly what is happening in game. This is true sitting in a locomotive chair as well as when walking. Some have asked Dovetail to remove this feature. That would be a mistake. It is important to set where your "body" is facing so all head tracking works from that center point. For example when doing switching operations, you would set your body to face the control console (on a GP38 for example), and this gives you the easy ability to look forward or backwards without having to crane your head half way around. You can always center your body straight forward and right click the mouse, and now the mouse will no longer change where you look. So both options are available in TSW now.

Try TrackIR in ARMA3 if you have it. It is the same concept there. Even in a first person shooter, the ability to walk or run in one direction while looking or shooting in a different direction is transformative. Maybe not for everyone, but give it time, and it pays off. And that is why TrackIR is so great. There is a reason everyone says, once you are use to it, you won't go back.

• Like Like x 2
  30. NQuarter

NQuarter Member

Do you have the issue when on Foot, and facing West, when you press WASD the Camera will do a full 360. Even if you are facing North, and turn your head to the West it does it.

31. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Yes, I do see that issue. Ya that's pretty annoying. Didn't notice it before because I hadn't tried walking around in TSW2 yet with TrackIR.

32. NQuarter

NQuarter Member

Sorry to ruin your fun =[ but yes it's very irritating. Gonna make a Video showing it, and posting it in the Technical Support Thread. Hopefully the Devs can work out the issue.

33. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Regarding Train Sim World 2 not showing up in the TrackIR Titles tab in the TrackIR Software (so you can assign a specific profile to it), I contacted TrackIR a few weeks ago about this. They just reported back - it is fixed now.

"Train Sim World 2" is now in the Titles list and it works correctly. Remember, you have to load a route/scenario before TrackIR goes active. But when it does, it will notify TrackIR it is running, and now TrackIR will load your chosen profile as set in the Titles Tab.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  34. JustWentSouth

I was pleasantly surprised a while ago when my profile was saved from the last TSW2 run. Now I know why!

35. NQuarter

NQuarter Member

Now for DTG to fix their West facing Bug..

36. chriis

chriis Member

This is excellent news!

• Like Like x 1
  37. in_04

in_04 New Member

Thanks for your affort to solve this.

• Like Like x 1
  38. in_04

in_04 New Member

Strange that it work for you. For me it doesn't work.
    TrackIR5 shows as Title "Train Sim World" and the profile is "Train Sim World 2"
    For me it worked only if I set the profile to exclusive.
    Do you have another version of TrackIR?
    upload_2022-1-11_18-29-22.png
    My TrackIR version is: 5.4.2.27545
    upload_2022-1-11_18-30-25.png

39. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

The TrackIR software hasn't been updated for a couple years, but they update the game info regularly. Last I tried it, mine said Train Sim World, not Train Sim World 2. I wonder if they updated it in the last week or two to add the 2. I'll check tonight. Ugh, it was working, but now maybe broken.

• Like Like x 1
  40. chriis

chriis Member

On mine, even though I have set 'Train Sim World 2' to use my specific TSW2 profile, as soon as the game loads and I'm sat in the cab TrackIR has reverted back to the 'Default' profile. I have to alt+tab out, re-select my TSW2 profile and then alt-tab back into the game....Even selecting the TSW2 profile as being the current profile before launching the game has no effect, it still reverts back to the default profile

I presume setting it as 'exclusive' would get round this but then I'd have to untick this each time I want to play another title, so I guess alt+tabbing will continue for now....Is no massive hardship really I guess, and I'd still rather this than no TIR support at all, just a bit unfortunate that it doesn't quite do as it should!

41. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

chriis, I wrote the following but notice you did the right thing and it still isn't working. Maybe you have the same issue in_04 describes in the post above. I need to check to see if something broke since I posted my original comment above.

(the following comment may not be useful)

If you are just selecting the profile on the Profile tab, that does not lock it in for any game unless you select exclusive mode. Without exclusive mode, when TrackIR senses a game has taken control (which in TSW2 occurs when you load a scenario, not when you load the game), it will look on the list of games and try to select the profile you have chosen for the game. Previously, we did not have a Train Sim World profile, so it always switches to default (with out using exclusive mode).

You have to find "Train Sim World 2" on the Titles tab and set your desired profile there. Now when you load a scenario, it should find the correct profile. See the picture posted above by in_04.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2022
  42. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Yes, it is broken again. It worked a few weeks ago when I reported it, but now TSW2 reports itself as "Train Sim World" and TrackIR is looking for "Train Sim World 2". To make it work, you must use Exclusive mode again. Ugh!

FYI, before trying this today, I did NOT update my games list from a few weeks ago when it worked for me. TrackIR will only update the Games list if you tell it to (look for the update notification in the upper right corner). So I assume Dovetail changed the name from "Train Sim World 2" to "Train Sim World" in a release since then and broke it. After I tried the test, I then updated my games list in TrackIR and it did not fix the issue. TrackIR is still looking for "Train Sim World 2". Hopefully Dovetail notified TrackIR of the change and it is just working its way through the system.

43. in_04

in_04 New Member

Thanks for the clarification.
    Seems to be a big task to make it working like it should.
    TrainSim-Matt could you please change the TrackIR signature from 'Train Sim World' back too 'Train Sim World 2'? it is boring to work around this bug every time

• Like Like x 1
  44. reilar

reilar New Member

Bumping this thread as I also would like to see this happen.
    I filed a technical report on the issue as well.

• Like Like x 1
  45. in_04

in_04 New Member

46. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I think it is working fine, paul.pavlinovich showed it on his stream/channel

47. reilar

reilar New Member

I'm not so sure it is working as expected. Watched his video and he didn't mention anything about how to set it up in TSW2. It actually looks like he is using the default TIR profile (which is a workaround) but you shouldn't have to do that if above mentioned solution is implemented in the sim.

• Like Like x 1
  48. Yainderidoo

Yainderidoo New Member

I found this topic, amongst the other things, about "smoothtrack". Isn't anyone worried about the fact of giving up your ip address and port number away to some downloaded program? I would like to try this but I'm worried about giving up my private addresses?

49. dhekelian

Seems to be more hardware forgotten by DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  50. atledreier

atledreier Member

You mean like DirectX inputs? :p

I love it as a game, but as a sim it's quite obviously made for console first, like so many good sims these days.

• Like Like x 1