Time To Speculate On The New Uk Route

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by chieflongshin, Dec 30, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I mean...
    [​IMG]

It's probably just the sheer amount of track and trains - it just about works in reality without things going wrong, imagine how bad it'll be with the TSW dispatcher, let alone the frame rate? You've got 2 major junctions to the north where Thameslink and services from Cannon Street join, then you've got this massive artery of track stretching a good half a mile (possibly more), then another series of junctions as the BML leaves, and the suburban lines branch off. It is (or at least was until recently) one of the most congested bits of track in the entire country. It's not exactly going to be a walk in the park and may well be much worse than Victoria, albeit perhaps not as bad as Waterloo or the SW side of Clapham.

• Like Like x 7
  2. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Looks good and would be brill in game if they could manage it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I hanker to see Newcastle - Carlisle one day in TSW. Of course the further back you go the more interesting it gets, with the long gone Haltwhistle branch, the Allendale branch, and for the connaisseur, why not the Border Counties lines!

• Like Like x 5
  4. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I sincerely hope if it is another Southern Region route it is at least a BR era one

• Like Like x 3
  5. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

For a modern route up north, Merseyrail (ideally the Wirral Line) would suit well. We already have a PEP model too.

6. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Have to agree. I'm not interested in UK stuff, but I would maybe be if it was some older rolling stock. The UKs modern EMUs are just really not my thing. The Class 166 is the only thing I like.

• Like Like x 1
  7. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

Matt has said in one of the preview streams that London Bridge is incredibly complex due to how many lines converge there. He said it's one of the reasons why why they didn't include it in London Commuter, if I remember correctly.

8. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I'd still like to see Liverpool to Manchester more, but Merseyrail is very highly requested. I feel like it's only a matter of time before it shows up.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Clumsy Pacer

Yeah, if they're doing a modern northern route I'd rather it be with a (descent) sprinter and/or pacer, or the Leeds - Skipton line.

10. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Defiantly especially as the BR Blue trains we have do more layering than any of the modern stuff, especially those Electrostars far to many now.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

if they can do victoria they can do london bridge, i imagine it was because it’d add an extra 10 miles or so to the route and with how rushed the rest of the route looks, i’m kinda glad they left it

• Like Like x 2
  12. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

good route but the peps are getting a little boring now, as much as i like the traction motors

• Like Like x 1
  13. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I do agree, whilst the route would be different, the Class 507/508 wouldn't really give much of a different driving experience to the Class 313/314 we already have. Maybe include the new Class 777 instead perhaps.

• Like Like x 1
  14. graham.haddon

graham.haddon Well-Known Member

A NEW BR Blue era route would be nice, with a new loco

• Like Like x 3
  15. Clumsy Pacer

I'd prefer something with Intercity Swallow ;)

While it would be nice, what would it offer that you can't get from the southern electrics routes? To me at least, it's just a 3rd rail route that happens to be in the north.

• Like Like x 1
  16. locobilly

locobilly Well-Known Member

Yes I'd like to see an urban route set in London, I've seen enough tress on other routes to last me a lifetime! My preference would be something in East London so you get those amazing skyscapes of the City in the background, also the routes from Liverpool Street are raised so great views all around which is better than being stuck in a cutting or tunnel (though the termini itself is set in a tunnel). Could be Greater Anglia or London Overground with lots of possibilities for layers with new trains in the future as dlc.

• Like Like x 3
  17. dhekelian

While we are speculating do you think DTG would do yet another route in Southern England? Matt hinted at other parts of the UK and even said about the narrow gauge in Wales, personally not for me narrow gauge but no objection to Wales, as I said before Cardiff to Didcot would be brilliant but cannot see that happening either.

We all know DTG like to cut corners so with this thinking do you think the next route will be set with a later steam release in mind? Bristol - Paddington in the right era would fit the bill but this won't happen so imo it would be a midlands or Northern route in an era where there was a cross over with Diesel/Steam or is that wishful thinking?

It would save DTG from having to do a separate route and they could just concentrate on the loco no? Pullman coaches? lol

18. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

Going along this line of thought..... TSW's first BR Green era diesel route set mid to late 60s would be the ideal thing to then use for the first steam content at a later date.... So two firsts with the one route.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  19. dhekelian

Sounds good to me although wouldn't early 60's be better, I'm thinking before that git Beeching got his hands on the network.

20. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Blue came in in 1965, together with the double-arrow logo.

• Like Like x 1
  21. RailFan97

RailFan97 Active Member

I'm hoping to see the Birmingham Cross City line between Redditch/Bromsgrove and Litchfield with the Class 323. It's a decent length at 32 miles with 25 stations, including Birmingham New Street. Journey time is over an hour and it's an interesting timetable with some services terminating at Four Oaks and other continuing up to Litchfield. It's also pretty varied with a mix of city and suburban environments.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Clumsy Pacer

Correct, but the blue wasn't really commonplace until about 1969/1970 I believe, it took a good decade before everything got repainted; apparently, one class 40 was withdrawn in 1976 still wearing its green livery.

• Like Like x 1
  23. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Settle to Carlise must be up there with the contenders. It's got freight, passenger, challenging gradients and above all it's got the ability to have steam rail tours layed in once the age of steam is released.

Personally it highly unlikely be a day 1 purchase for me considering it's been done before so many times. BUT I could see why DTG would see this route as a money maker

• Like Like x 3
  24. dhekelian

Just spent some time reading a forum about this. Apparently it was in mid 66 when BR Blue was introduced but even then there were exceptions. 47's were never in BR. Green (never knew that) And there were still BR Green being applied in the 70's. I think Crewe did some?

Getting rid of old paint? So you could easily have seen BR Green and BR Blue in the same era. I'm Biased in favour of BR Blue but at the same time it would be great to see some BR Green for a bit of variety.

25. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I was only 9/10 at the time but fairly certain I saw maroon stock still kicking around in Newcastle in 1971 or thereabouts, particularly on inter regional or cross country services which got the older Mark Ones.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Clumsy Pacer

Really? Where've you heard that? I beg to differ ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (apparently that last one dates to 1975; that one probably went straight into Large Logo)

• Like Like x 4
  27. dhekelian

We used to have Maroon stock in my region, Oxon, but before my time. I've seen some photo's of Auto Cars in Maroon, look good imo.

28. solicitr

So the one in WSR is fictional?

29. dhekelian

I was just on a model site forum who usually know there stuff. It was dated 2009 I think. I had just closed it and now haven't got the link otherwise I would link you up.

Are them Photo's in two tone Green rather than just BR Green? Does that count. My eyes are not the best, I can see blue too. hahaha

30. dhekelian

I'm doubting myself now. That site seemed so confident too. Oh well. If I can find the link I will post it.

Just had a look at some other stuff and that site was partially right but it left out an important word 'SOME'. Some of the 47's were never in BR. Green.

• Like Like x 2
  31. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Well-Known Member

Maybe they meant they never carried the BR Green under the TOPS numbers? Personally don't know if that was the case as I'm slightly too young to remember BR Green

• Like Like x 1
  32. Clumsy Pacer

They're all in 2-tone green (although the middle one is in black-and-white), I don't think they were in solid green. On the bottom one however, there are blue/grey coaches.

Ah, fair enough. I can believe that, since they were still being built until 1968.

• Like Like x 2
  33. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

The first class 47's were built in 1962 the last around 1968, I think the majority of class 47's would have received two tone green, batches built, presumably 66 onwards would have been outshopped in BR blue. The same with the class 25's. The majority of both would have seen BR green though.

The WSR one theoretically is fake as it was one of the original Western region names steam heating ones and would have been pained BR green, by the time it was withdrawn by Virgin it had ETH and long range fuel tanks plus things like a high density headlight so it wouldn't have been in that condition in its early days. It is an heritage repaint, not sure if it was one of the ones Virgin had repainted for the class 47 farewell, and very nice it looks too.

• Like Like x 2
  34. claus33

claus33 New Member

Fife circle, or as a long shot Glasgow Central to Edinburgh Waverley, would both be excellent in my view. I agree Glasgow Central needs a lot more going on to be immersive

• Like Like x 1
  35. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Its gone, the north star is painted blue now. Both look nice, even if i prefere the green look.

Screenshot_20220105-205708_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  36. WaveyDavey

It was introduced on the XP64 set in 1964 but there were still green locos across the network till the late to mid 70s. ;)

Anyway like I say mid sixties would be ideal as it would mean green diesel for initial release and still be very much ideal to include steam when introduced.

• Like Like x 1
  37. WaveyDavey

The entire fleet except D1733 were delivered new in two tone green livery. D1733 was delivered in XP64 livery which was close to Rail Blue but not quite.

This website is all you ever need when it comes to class 47s. ;)

http://www.Class47.co.uk

38. hoagy

hoagy Member

So the first diesel locos delivered new in BR Blue would be the 50s?

39. WaveyDavey

I believe so yes. AFAIK only D1733 wasn’t delivered in two tone green as it was delivered in XP64 livery which was close to Rail Blue but not quite the same shade.

40. Clumsy Pacer

There's a similar one for the Class 37; and there was one for the Class 66, but sadly the domain's expired.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. 4-COR

4-COR Well-Known Member

wouldn't mind seeing edinburgh waverley-helensburgh central via glasgow queens st but it is like 60 miles so i can appreciate why they wouldn't do this

• Like Like x 1
  42. JealousSheep768

JealousSheep768 Well-Known Member

Do you mean the Alston branch instead. This departed at haltwhistle and closed in 1977 with the opening of an all weather road to Hexham. It is now the south tynedale miniature railways

43. pendolino18

pendolino18 Active Member

I believe it may be Either Edinburgh to Glasgow or Fife Circle.
    Both have featured in TS Classic and are popular.
    DTG have a license for Scotrail.
    Both routes fit the typical route length perfectly (E to G just under the hour and Fife Circle is an our each side of the Circle)
    All the reference they already have.
    Would hope to see a 170 or 158 perhaps with the addition of AP sounds which have also been made.
    All in all two very possible contenders.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Clumsy Pacer

Fife Circle, maybe, but Edinburgh-Glasgow? 1) it was done by a 3rd party; 2) have you seen how thin the scenery is?; 3) It's changed a lot since it was done for TS (small matter of electrification).

45. OldVern

Other than the climb out of Queen Street which is no challenge to a modern unit, Glasgow to Edinburgh via Falkirk High is pretty much level, just a straight shot.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I do mean the Alston branch, thanks for correcting me (that’s what you get for posting when you’re half asleep!). Last time I was up that way there was a little narrow gauge railway along some of the old track bed.

• Like Like x 1
  47. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing a new train I've not driven before which isn't a variation on 314,313,377,387

• Like Like x 7
  48. solicitr

Coming soon: the all new Class 165!

• Like Like x 4
  49. OldVern

Did a sort of version of that in MSTS years ago. A nice scenic run though not much in the way of traffic. Another route for... ta da - the Met Cam Class 101.

• Like Like x 2
  50. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

This. There are plenty are common modern(ish) traction in service today which aren't in TSW.
    DMU - Class 156, 158/159 and the 168,170, 171 and 172 Turbo fleet, 185, 195 etc.
    AC EMU - Class 317, 318, 319, 320/321/322 and 323, 350, 331 etc
    DC EMU - Class 455, 450, 444, 700 etc
    AC loco - Class 86, 87, 90, 88 etc
    Diesel loco - Class 59, 60, 66 of various types, 67, 68, 70 etc

Lets hope DTG doesn't do another variation of something we've already got, as we've seen to have gotten that quite a bit. Particularly with the Electrostar!

• Like Like x 5
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.