Confused: Different Dlc Loco Versions Of The Same Type (143)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Der Zeitgeist, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist Member

Hi everyone,

I just started out with TSW2 after getting it and a few DLCs during the Steam sale, having lots of fun so far.

One thing I noticed is that after getting a number of the German route DLCs, the included rolling stock becomes usable on the other routes too, as it should. However, I noticed that some routes now contain several versions of the same locomotive or train type to select when setting up a timetable mission. For example, I'm seeing two versions of the BR 143, from two different DLCs.

I assume that these are indeed different versions with slightly different functionality (& maybe differerent bugs), as there is also a slight difference in appearance. Is there any way to know which one is the newer/better/more mature version when choosing a train or locomotive?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  2. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

Having the same issue - the same applies to the DB BR 185.5, those double-decker red cab cars etc. (apologies, don't know what are they being called). Would be interesting to know which ones are the latest ones (and again, would be nice to talk about the UI in general, because these things really don't make any sense whatsoever).

• Like Like x 1
  3. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

There's a mod which adds the logo of the route of origin to each loco (edit: in the selection menu!):
    https://www.trainsimcommunity.com/m...tches/i1020-origin-dlc-markings-on-train-logo

That way, you only have to know that Dresden-Riesa came after RSN, thus the Dresden-Riesa loco is the newer one.

It works for dostos too so you don't end up driving dostos with the S-Bahn Dresden logo along Main-Spessart (unless you want to because you think they're better).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It is confusing and difficult to tell even for experienced players so I can’t imagine what a new player would make of it all. As a console player, I can’t take advantage of the mod so maybe DTG need to add those labels to the different locos so everyone can tell where they originate.

• Like Like x 10
  5. redtrainz

redtrainz Active Member

Doppelstockwagen (double-decker cars) or "dosto" for short.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kurtosizm

kurtosizm Well-Known Member

Many thanks, this is brilliant!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Choo choo

Choo choo Well-Known Member

It's absolutely insane that we need a mod for such a simple thing. Oh and for those on consoles "mod isn't a possibility, so deal with it" :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. JellyScrub

JellyScrub Active Member

DTG really need to make stuff like this easier and clearer

• Like Like x 2
  9. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

If you look closely which one is Main Spessart Bahn Aschaffenburg-Gemünden vs Riesa-Dresden Doppelstockwagen 785 766.2 DB BR146.2. The one that doesn't display the route number is Main Spessart Bahn RB Hagen Hbf if running RRO if its RE4 RE7 Hagen Hbf you got a Riesa-Dresden version running the route.

10. delucadomenico2009

delucadomenico2009 Active Member

The last version is the one on the far right. In the case of the br143 is the second one. However it is exactly the same loco, just with a better physics and fuctionality. Also for german ones, the "new" version has the "DB" on the name. For exemple the br143 DB is the ine that comes from Dresden dlc

11. Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist Member

As far as I see, they both have the "DB" in their title on the selection screen. Anyway, the mod recommended by redtrainz works perfectly, and I can now see which version I'm getting.

• Like Like x 1
  12. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

It should really be the case that when an upgraded version comes out/is owned that it superceeds the (in theory) older weaker model. Quite why we've 3 versions of the 143 and 4 versions of the dostro is beyond me.

Thinking about the dostros may make sense seeing as some have 1st class and differing decals, although which is which should be made clearer without mods and the functionality should be identical. I can't think of a justifications for the 143 however

• Like Like x 1
  13. BjornGroen02NL

BjornGroen02NL Well-Known Member

IIRC it had something to do with tutorials. For example, the "older" 143 doesn't have a removable reverser and brake key while the "new" 143 does have them. This means, if the older one simply gets replaced, the tutorials would need to be remade too which would require a bit of work. Still, from a player perspective it would make more sense. Also as both 143's are the same variant, whereas the Dosto's are different variants though some are duplicates. Some differences in 1st and 2nd class seating, and also the VVO livery on Dresden.

Hope this gets sorted out one day for substitution too, as it is now random which variant of the 143 (other loco's too) you will see as AI. It would be nice to see an option per route which trains you would like to enable and disable. For example I could disable the old 143 everywhere, which would solve part of the problem as I also won't be able to select a disabled loco on a route, but also I could disable the 112 on Ruhr-Sieg Nord because this isn't entirely realistic. These are just 2 examples of what would then be possible. Getting a bit off-track here, but I hope you see what I mean.