The West Highland Line

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by bob123, Jan 10, 2022.

1. bob123

bob123 Member

i would preferable like to see a bit of the west highland line from: rannoch to the north end of the line mallaig. i know this is a big project but i think if done well could be a great line as it would include corrour ( the highest station in the uk), fort William with the turn around ,glennfinan and the viaduct ( where a bit of harry potter was filmed) arisaig the most western station in britain and the end station mallaig.
    this route would include the Caledonian sleeper, the Jacobite and scotrail i believe this would be a good route to start steam in tsw. also could they include the highland explorer train on one of the trains despite the fact that it dose not go up that stretch of the line.
    i do believe this would be the route to pick for a highland line because of the reasons i just said or the far north line but i believe that the west highland line where i said would be the best place to do a highland line and could be a amazing route. by the way i have edited it

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

You'd be better off sticking with Fort William - Mallaig. Maybe stretch to Spean Bridge on the West Highland Line if you want the experience of turning back services to/from Glasgow to/from Mallaig.

Ending the route in the Rannoch Moor is a very, very odd choice. Ok, granted, you get Corrour, the highest station on the Isle, and that's it. Waste of development time that would otherwise go to making the route, good.

Also a bit more punctuation than one singular comma would make your post all the more readable, and understandable.

3. bob123

bob123 Member

sorry as you can see i am not good at grammar and also is to include the sleeper if it only went to spean bridge

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  4. bob123

bob123 Member

what is the problem with the line from rannoch to fort willian as that is a very scenic stretch of line

5. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well it has to go from somewhere to somewhere. If you were doing the West Highland "main" line, then either Glasgow to Crianlarich (so you can include the Oban services) or Crianlarich to Fort William. However the popular choice still likely to be Fort William to Mallaig as that has the highest (in WH terms) traffic density. Depending on era, Fort William to Crianlarich was two passenger trains a day in each direction, with a third during the summer months plus a few freight runs, if you go back to loco hauled days. By contrast, Fort William to Mallaig had four trains in each direction, plus the possibility of excursions.

6. bob123

bob123 Member

but it was rannoch/ corrour they are 1 stop away from each other to mallaig

7. OldVern

Sorry I haven't a clue what you are on about. Rannoch or Corrour would be totally pointless locations to have the route terminate.

8. bob123

bob123 Member

i guess but i really would like corrour but i guess it is a stupid place to end it so yeah from fort william to mallaig would be the best route it is just i thought to have the highest station would be a good idea but nobody else wants it clearly so from fort william to mallaig would be probably what we would get anyway

9. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Because it's a daft terminus.

10. bob123

bob123 Member

well where else should it end. for the sleeper as i would like the sleeper

11. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Fort William to Crainlarich would be best.

12. OldVern

It will end where DTG or partners decide it ends if they or their partners ever decide to make it!