Hst Braking

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by bspittles, Jul 30, 2018.

1. bspittles

bspittles New Member

Leaving Paddington with an HST service due to stop at Slough. At what point should I start slowing down, and how should I do it?

On my last attempt, I was six miles from Slough (doing 125mph) when I set the throttle to idle and the brakes on full. I shot through Slough at 60+ mph!

I would be grateful for any advice!

2. Gamborg

Gamborg Active Member

I’m not at my console right now but I’m pretty sure the HST both has an auto brake and a direct brake so make sure you use the automatic brake. You can switch between the two by pressing X on the controller (Xbox). The automatic brake is also called the train brake and brakes along the entire length of the train. The direct (or independent) brake only brakes the locomotive itself so that could explain why you are overshooting the station.

UPDATE: Just checked and the HST only has the train brake so my original post only applies to the class 66 in GWE. You should easily be able to brake the train 6 miles out so it sounds like something is wrong. If you start braking 2 miles out or so you should be fine so try and check your controls.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. bspittles

bspittles New Member

Many thanks for taking the time to help me :)

I've now found the problem. In the second power car, I was setting the Reverser to reverse and the brake to running. I tried again, this time setting them to Neutral and Initial respectively.

I was then able to accelerate to 125 and then brake back to zero :)

• Like Like x 1