Road Map Train Sim World 2 - Roadmap Update 11/01/2022

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jan 11, 2022.

1. pipanminuta#9703

pipanminuta#9703 Well-Known Member

Where is DB BR 232?!?

2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

As a small number of us predicted as a major possibility, it’s looking like the next UK route is indeed the the first steam route, which has been heavily hinted at several times by DTG in the streams… but we won’t find out what it is until it is announced for release. Big fanfare and all that.

The Preservation Crew section of the roadmap looks just like a list of routes etc and little information is given as to what’s happening to them.

I suppose it is better to know that work on the ‘versions 2’ of the tools has been suspended than us hanging on in hope of some progress. I would have thought that having a sharing system (now free) would be the ideal time for those to release but it is what it is.

RIP any detail in the roadmap.

• Like Like x 15
  3. ethanafro#1375

ethanafro#1375 Active Member

Exactly what i think. Roadmap scraped when?
    As the saying goes: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
    The old roadmap was fine, so why would they break it

• Like Like x 4
  4. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

While this new format will prevent routes being put up too early, it does feel like a step back. I remeber once in a stream someone said that an advantage of the roadmap was that if developers needed help sourcing materials from the community, they could ask the community as they knew what the route/loco was from the roadmap. But know with future releases it seems like that won't be possible as who knows how close to release the article about a route will come.

• Like Like x 4
  5. ethanafro#1375

like pretty much every single British player of TSW2 was expecting

• Like Like x 6
  6. bobbobberdd

bobbobberdd Well-Known Member

The new System is too confusing for me, the old one was significantly better.

• Like Like x 4
  7. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

What about people who have no interest in steam?

Why is that? Run 8 only has US content as it is made by a US company. Same with Has Rockstar ever made a video game set outside the US?

• Like Like x 4
  8. bart2day

bart2day Well-Known Member

In 2020 there was 1 UK route and 3 German routes. There were the most add-ons for Germany in 2020. We in the UK also want routes!

• Like Like x 2
  9. ethanafro#1375

I am one who really couldn't care less about steam. Quite frankly i don't want to be waiting nearly 6 months for me to drive a train in the UK on a new route that isn't steam. It will get very annoying if the first route in 4 MONTHS for the UK will be a steam route

• Like Like x 8
  10. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

I actually like the new format of the roadmap, will it still be every fortnight or have I missed something?

Big thank you for the changes to the expansion pack. Still not so keen on the livery designer (never really was from the start) but being able to freely share scenarios is a big plus. This should really help bolster community involvement and ongoing interest in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  11. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

What about those of whom live in countries which have never had a route featured, possibly in any simulator?

I am waiting with bated breath for the next UK route and with as much anticipation as you are I am sure but we are doing quite well for content. If I lived in Burkina Faso I would be more irrated!

• Like Like x 12
  12. danistarwars

danistarwars Active Member

Since 2018 still no dutch route. Quit complaining and be happy you even have routes

• Like Like x 19
  13. ethanafro#1375

now that is a good idea

• Like Like x 6
  14. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Did Matt not say on the end of year stream there is a UK route coming out before Harlem but they weren't allowed to say what it is yet?

• Like Like x 7
  15. ethanafro#1375

unsure about that. i can't remember. may need to go back and watch that stream

16. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I was worried the next UK route was Spirit of Steam but was hoping it wasn't. Now it just seems more likely which is really disheartening to hear personally, as it likely means it'll be a very long time until a route is announced that I'll be actually interested in. Obviously I can only speak for myself, but there's no upcoming add ons at all that interest me at the moment.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I feel very disappointed by the news Scenarioplanner 2.0 is suspended. It has been in planning for a long time, there is a long list with feedback from the community and to be honest into my opinion Scenarioplanner 1.0 is a very poorly designed solution and it looks like a dead end in this way to me.(Based of reverse engineering the .sav files). You may remember there once was promise for a content editor, scenarios being part of it. This promise is broken after giving us hope for over three years. You better come with a good story. I really do not see why it is not even possible to set up a decent sav file format, that supports things like go via, passenger stop/non passenger stop and a few other things we had for years in TS>.

• Like Like x 7
  18. russianchip

russianchip Guest

I’m taking a guess that Spirit of Steam is this summers big release? Hoping to find out more this evening!

• Like Like x 1
  19. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

It's unlikely future roadmaps would have quite as much information at the start. We felt it important to explain the reasoning for the change-up in this instance.

• Like Like x 2
  20. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

It will be every fortnight, yes.

• Like Like x 2
  21. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

I hate to break it to you but what you want means absolutely naff all and it's all about what DTG want to make, so it's best just to roll with the punches and except British routes whenever they arrive be it retro steam modern stuff or a combo of both otherwise you might just end up sulking in the corner, and that's never fun is it.......

• Like Like x 6
  22. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

So DTG...Instead of breaking the game with new bugs, you SOMEHOW manged to break the Roadmap
    Wow....you managed to disappoint us once again....good job(not)

• Like Like x 11
  23. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

Thank you.

24. jamster47

jamster47 Well-Known Member

Could it be confirmed on the roadmap stream tonight if the next UK route is SOS or something announced?

Still clinging on to LTS appearing from no where and the class 357.

• Like Like x 4
  25. mickelmickle

mickelmickle Member

Didn't Matt mention, that a UK route was forthcoming before the Harlem line ?

• Like Like x 2
  26. kolesnikvictor

kolesnikvictor Active Member

I'm from Ukraine dude and highly likely I won't ever get at least ONE Ukrainian route. What should I do/say/feel in such case?

• Like Like x 13
  27. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Streams?

• Like Like x 1
  28. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

GUYS,

If you read the beginning of the road map again (you know the writey bit that you all ignore)
    Read the following "This last point is an important one. The Roadmap will no longer be the place to find out the new routes that we’re developing. Instead each new add-on will be announced independently so that it doesn’t simply get buried among everything else we’re working on."

To me this means they have not released details of the new UK route in the roadmap (something we were all expecting them to do today - at a guess). So perhaps details will be released nearer to the time and to the point where I suspect they have finalised licensing deals etc etc So they can hopefully give the answers to all the over bearing questions we give them such as :-

what is the rolling stock we will be getting?
    why cant we have this ?
    I want this route?
    ow much is the price?
    when Will it be released?
    I cant wait for this route!!!
    Why cant we have more US Routes?
    why cant we have more German Routes?
    Japanese Bullet Trains when?
    When are we getting steam?
    ect ect ect
    Just my thoughts.

Regards
    Hentis

• Like Like x 5
  29. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

What a total and utter shower

So this new roadmap format is nothing other than DTG actually admitting that fixes for the game are being held up by testing to make way for new DLC that went through at break neck speed (and naturally broken as well)

So they come up with a new roadmap to try to hide that fact.

Seriously, the management at DTG need to be slapped with a wet fish

• Like Like x 14
  30. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Improved cloud visuals - Integrated into Preservation Crew standard upgrades’

I’m not too sure what this means? Maybe it means the my cloud mod will be used for all future route preservation upgrades? I’ll have to ask Adam about this.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  31. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

I’m starting to lose count of the times the format has been somewhat changed, and somehow it never feels improved. Just different. It defeats the purpose of the whole thing as an ongoing source. This thing will only ever come to its right if the team allows it to settle.

• Like Like x 6
  32. james64

Well I'll certainly watch the stream tonight to see how they handle the backlash. I don't think the community has been this upset since they announced that the Rush hour release would cost more, be staggered, and Riesa Dresden would be cut back.

Should be fascinating to watch.

• Like Like x 3
  33. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

Looking back at it, as cluttered as it was, I think the OG roadmap was the best one so far. If you were to combine the Original with the icon system for finding new things easily it would be the best.

• Like Like x 1
  34. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

No. Because I don't subscribe to that sort of gaming nationalism. I don't favor US over any other sort of route (aside from the contingent characteristic, huge long freight trains)

I really don't get this UK-content whining- and that's exactly what it is, whining (which also seems uniformly to overlook West Cornwall, released in November). DTG releases routes in US-UK-DE clusters. That last released route was American, the German comes on Thursday, with the British to follow (same order as the 3 Rush Hour routes)

• Like Like x 18
  35. solicitr

It is possible that the 'suspension' of the LD and SP 2.0 project may be tied to the advent of Creators' Club and the need to make sure the 2.0 versions are compatible with it.

• Like Like x 3
  36. LIRRGuy

LIRRGuy Well-Known Member

Agreeded and also, is it me or eversince the release of the 313 the roadmaps kinda fell down hill

• Like Like x 2
  37. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

Thats what I'm also thinking. Especially if they've said about changing the road map away from announcing new routes etc!

As you say may be wrong but I feel like it'll be worth watching as they'll also explain why they changed everything etc.

• Like Like x 1
  38. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

A roadmap is essentially a form of project management and for that it needs a form of progression over time.

Internal discussion at DTG:
    "-We have listened to feedback from the community that we are bad with launch times and the time frames that we announced so far thus have decided to address this once and for all.
    -From now on, we will remove the already vague progression that we were showing to our clients. In this way we can no longer be blamed for missed/incorrect dates.
    -Brilliant idea!!"
    Wink

Besides the progression element gone, it's cluttered and hard to make much out of it. I am trying to not compare it to what we had so far and it's not that easy to read in this form.

• Like Like x 7
  39. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Just going to echo what others are saying, this new format is a mess, it doesn’t clearly state anything, the previous version was better, the only issue was maybe that it contained things it shouldn’t have, the format wasn’t really the issue.

The last few months Sam has been talking about how it isn’t very clear or transparent, yet this new format seems to be hiding things from us, being less clear about where something is, and even less clear with content type, it’s ironic how the link to the DLC codes is in there, yet we are seeing more and more DLC not matching up to the codes?

On the subject of clarity, Matt had mentioned that a new UK DLC is slated to release possibly before the new US route, Natalie then started a cryptic conversation regarding why it is or is not on the roadmap, Matt is telling us that steam is still a way off, the opening paragraphs in the roadmap then tell us that if something is being developed it would be listed but with vague details, and yet the only thing on the roadmap is Spirit of Steam?

It’s INSANELY frustrating trying to figure out what is actually happening.

If I had to some this up in one word, it would be “Yikes”.

• Like Like x 13
  40. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

Not a fan of this new format

• Like Like x 5
  41. antony.henley

antony.henley Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Hentis

• Like Like x 2
  42. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I really despair and I’m quite frankly losing all enthusiasm for the game.

I’m tired of the lack of serious bug fixes, which keeps getting compounded by more and more bugs being introduced with new routes or core updates.

I’m tired of the delays in fixed/improved content being released (especially when this work is finished) and I’m tired of the ‘scheduling excuse’ given every time. I’m sorry, but bug fixes and content improvements need to be better prioritised.

The roadmap now feels completely pointless - especially with codes being added which means nothing.

Why a code? Just tell us what it is!

Fed up with it all.

• Like Like x 24
  43. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 6
  44. krustynuggets

krustynuggets Well-Known Member

Has anyone stopped to think that DTG are playing brilliant mind games on all of us by changing the way things work they are getting us to talk, rant and find out what they want to know from us, its almost like reverse psychology........

• Like Like x 2
  45. kolesnikvictor

kolesnikvictor Active Member

There is only the only exact information in roadmap. It's date of release DCZ route. Can you provide us with exact information of improvements and patches releases because it's absolutely unclear now?

• Like Like x 2
  46. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
  47. solicitr

That's pretty much correct - IF you remove the layer of dramatic colorization which might as well have DTG staff twirling their mustachios and cackling evilly.

"-We have listened to ceaseless whining from the community that launch times in the software industry slip and project schedules can't be forecast with the precision of rocket launches"
    -From now on, we will have to remove the general progression that we were showing to our clients. It's plain that we never hear an end of it from the crybabies if any hint of a schedule turns out to have been overoptimistic.
    -Regrettable but necessary idea."

• Like Like x 4
  48. james64

This is what I've always thought. Why do they even have such a silly system? It's not as if it's a cute little easter egg because they always point out the article explaining how it works. It's literally making three left turns to go right.

Just tell us up front what it is instead of all this code nonsense.

• Like Like x 9
  49. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

I find the new format very confusing, and despite information being more siloed you need to refer to more subheadings to aggregate information, not to mention lacking any semblance of order as to when it will be released, specifically the preservation crew section. Now the backlog of PC releases is all just a jumbled bunch of TBD’s, which devalues the whole section as it is simply a list of older routes, which every player already knows, with no orderly expectation of when it will be fixed (unless you comb through the RM streams).

Terrible direction.

• Like Like x 3
  50. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Nice informative fresh look :)
    GG DTG

• Like Like x 2