766 Traction Locked?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by OldVern, Jan 12, 2022.

1. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I seem to have been encountering these wretched* cab cars on most of my recent German Journey Mode soirees. One thing I can't work out is why, every time you routinely apply the brakes, it seems to go into traction lock. Before I can regain power, I need to move the throttle into a power notch (HUD remains red with the Down arrows), back to Off then a couple of seconds later the lock releases and I can take power.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a design feature?

* I'm starting to hate the 766's with a vengeance anyway. They are everywhere in the game on the German routes and about the most boring vehicle to drive from with barely even the rail sound audible.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jonne1184

Jonne1184 Well-Known Member

Oh, looks like I am not the only one. The traction lock behavior seems to be prototypical though, however I cannot find the original reference anymore.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Press the Sifa button before you move the power lever, that "unlocks" it :) And that is prototypical, just not explained anywhere...

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. OldVern

Even if SIFA is disabled?

5. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I am not sure about that, I always have Sifa on and so it would be in reality as well. But from my understanding this functionality has nothing to do with the Sifa functionality per se, it just uses the same button (i.e. it has a double functionality). Well, foot pedal that is anyway :D

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Yup

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Thorgred

Thorgred Active Member

i am sure traction lock was mentioned in one or 2 tutorials

8. OldVern

The “feature” manifests even if you do a running brake application, i.e. just to slow down without stopping (for a speed restriction) then try and throttle back up again.

9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That's a universal German safety feature; ANY brake application (not counting AFB-controlled dynamic brakes) locks out the throttle, which has to be reset after the brakes are released. Generally whenever I apply brakes, my next act is to reset AFB to the new limit, if there is time (because AFB can handle those last few km/h and I can release the air brakes a bit 'early' that way, avoiding that brake-release speed dip), and then run the throttle down to Off in preparation for resuming power as soon as I take the brakes off.

• Helpful Helpful x 1